Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:03 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
In a core Strategy class I visted at Cornell there were 2-3 girls... In an equities analysis class I visited at Yale there were no females! :)
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
And I always thought Yale had among the highest female representations of any top business school. BW shows that percentage of females ranges from 21%-40% at the top business schools (Yale is 38%). That's pretty substantial underrepresentation compared to over 50% of the general population. Female applicants are favored.

Underrepresented minorities range from 6% (Berkeley & UCLA) to 17% (NYU). I believe the reason for the low percentages at Berkeley and UCLA are because of the policy of the UC Board or Reagents that race cannot be used. Compared to the general population, I believe they are even more underrepresented than women, but I'm not totally sure. Strange that NYU has both the highest percentage of females and the highest percentage of minorities (of the top schools).

I guess if you're looking for a nice hard-working business woman with a little bit of ethnic flavor, NYU is the place to look :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
There is a school of thought in admissions that basically subscribes to a "demographics is destiny" point of view. I never found this point of view particularly compelling because the factors that contribute to a strong application are essentially the same across all demographic groups. The key difference is essentially one of risk tolerance- if a student comes from a demographic group with a small supply, schools tend to be more tolerant of risk (e.g., EASDL factors). Many students ascribe their failure to be admitted to a particular school to demographic factors without appreciating the weaknesses that are present in their application materials. For instance, many applicants with minimal leadership experience and no clearly expressed leadership potential express frustration at their inability to gain admission to GM schools dispute their high GMAT scores and brand name work experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
I'm a social sciences guy with a 680... Maybe I'll apply to Wharton. :)

Mark, you are welcome to apply but you should also realize that the applications that are measured against one of the strictest criteria are those that are coming from social sciences/unique backgrounds. AdCom are very well aware that these days applicants try to use social issues as a backdoor to enter the school. Therefore the onus will be on you to prove to Adcom that you are serious about your post-MBA social goals. As such if your education and work experience are relevant to your post-mba social sciences goals, you will have a better chance. In addition, your post-mba social golas should be crystal clear and questions such as why MBA and Why Wharton/HBS/Stanford should be answered with a perfect execution.

If someone has done IT consulting for 6 years with a BS and MS in computer science and now he suddenly wants to solve water problems of the world, he will be thrown to trash bin before anybody else no matter how much passion he shows about water by stating that half of his family was drowned in Tsunami. So bottom line is that an applicant with a social sciences background will not get an immediate/automatic favor unless he proves his worth. But if he has a case on table, he/she will get precedence over any 800/4.0 IB or MB folk, PERIOD. B-Schools are getting very serious (they have to because of the mounting pressure) to co-engage themselves with social problems (water, food, environment, energy, diseases, education blah blah blah).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My App went to completion on oct26

anybody having an invite with a similar case?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
A bit nervous that I havent yet got a call :roll:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
venky1979 wrote:
My App went to completion on oct26

anybody having an invite with a similar case?

Which school?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wharton
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Settle down haddy74... I was kidding around... If I do apply to Wharton it is going to be a bit more thought out than... "I'll just throw an app in for the hell of it." I have seen some last year here who had profiles somewhat similar to mine get admitted to Wharton. I want to go into investment management/fiance... That is why I would apply to Wharton, but I'm not sure yet about Wharton. UChicago might be my reach school of choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
Settle down haddy74... I was kidding around... If I do apply to Wharton it is going to be a bit more thought out than... "I'll just throw an app in for the hell of it." I have seen some last year here who had profiles somewhat similar to mine get admitted to Wharton. I want to go into investment management/fiance... That is why I would apply to Wharton, but I'm not sure yet about Wharton. UChicago might be my reach school of choice.

mark, i totally realize that you were just kidding....i was simply trying to make a point about social sciences applicants....I apologize if i sounded like picking on you..not at all....it was pretty clear from your post that you were just kidding around.....once again, sorry for any confusion.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know everyone already knows this but . . .

The social sciences don't necessarily have anything to do with "social causes," charity, or altruism. The "social" simply means that the focus on this field is on organized study of human behavior rather than physical phenomena or the arts. The social sciences can range from the highly quantitative (e.g., econometrics) to the highly qualitative (e.g., history).
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am acutely aware of this.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
venky1979 wrote:
Wharton

Mine went to completion 19 Oct. Still no invite.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Slightly off topic:

How important is Nationality in the admissions process? Suppose a person is orginially from India but now is a citizen of some unknown nation, does that isolate the candidate from the INDIAN bucket?

Talking to Wharton, the answer appeared to be - 'no'. I wonder whether nationality plays an unofficial role in the selection process.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
sm176811 wrote:
Slightly off topic:

How important is Nationality in the admissions process? Suppose a person is orginially from India but now is a citizen of some unknown nation, does that isolate the candidate from the INDIAN bucket?

Talking to Wharton, the answer appeared to be - 'no'. I wonder whether nationality plays an unofficial role in the selection process.

I have heard that the answer is no as well at least in terms of US residents and citizens. In other words, if you are from India originally, but are now a US PR, then you won't be in with the "Indian from India" group, but in the every so slightly less competitive "Indian from US" group.

From what I recall of looking at the applications, they only ask for your ethnicity if you are a US citizen or PR. Otherwise, they just want to know your country of citizenship. So, I guess if you are Indian you could move to *some random underrepresented country* gain citizenship and make yourself righteous.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
sm176811 wrote:
Slightly off topic:

I have heard that the answer is no as well at least in terms of US residents and citizens. In other words, if you are from India originally, but are now a US PR, then you won't be in with the "Indian from India" group, but in the every so slightly less competitive "Indian from US" group.

From what I recall of looking at the applications, they only ask for your ethnicity if you are a US citizen or PR. Otherwise, they just want to know your country of citizenship. So, I guess if you are Indian you could move to *some random underrepresented country* gain citizenship and make yourself righteous.

Excellent... Thanks for the quick response!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Re: Are we underestimating are chances here? [#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
As I have mentioned elsewhere, I'm a pessimist about the application process. But then I read something that makes me think maybe we are being too hard on ourselves here, and that even at top programs a large portion of the rejected applications just didn't know what they were getting themselves in to. For example, take the following question which was asked in a chat with Michigan adcoms.

"Can long working experience (more than 6 years) and quite a good GMAT (690) compensate for a very low GPA(2.36)?"

You guys can probably predict my reaction by now. The person asking this question just doesn't seem to get that 690 is BELOW the average GMAT for Michigan, so it's not really considered "quite a good GMAT" in this context. This person also seems to have no idea that the quality of the work experience is the most important factor, and that 6 years of nothingness will torpedo your application. Finally, that GPA is really really low. It's definitely well below the middle 80% and would probably be among the bottom 2% of students admitted to Ross.

So, ultra low GPA, below average GMAT, undistinguished (as far as we know) work experience, and no mention of activities. The adcom's response"? Standard spiel of course.

"All pieces of the application are considered as a whole. In addition to work experience, GMAT, and GPA, the essays, achievements, extracurricular activities, recommendation letters and interviews play an important role."

We know Michigan accepts about 30% and rejects about 70%. I'm beginning to wonder just how many are "easy rejects". You know, those that are way out of range for scores, do no research, write terrible essays and have poor work experience an extracurriculars. Of course, adcoms will still encourage them to apply.

To use the words of an adcom acquaintence I have at Haas:

60% of the applicants in any given year are rocks. Most are jagged and discarded. While a few may be polished, they are still just rocks. 30% are nuggets of gold with varying values. Approximately 10% are gems, of which about half are precious. We sift through the pile and hand select the gems and meatier nuggets, adding in one or two ultra smooth rocks that might actually make it across the pond.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Are we underestimating are chances here? [#permalink]
   1   2   3