Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1434 [1]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
Study Strategy Focus on Quant or Verbal? [#permalink]
NextStep2021 wrote:
I am currently trying to figure out where to focus my efforts to improve the most on my score and any advice would be helpful.

I took a practice exam to see where my baseline is and I landed at a 570 (34 Quant, 35 Verbal). It has been a long time since I looked at math so this score makes sense. However, I was curious if it would be a better idea to focus on my studies more on Verbal or Quant moving forward?

Ideally I would like to score a 710 but I only have about 2.5 months (at about 3 hours a day) to study so I am trying to create a roadmap to stay focused on what is most important for score improvement. Obviously this would be a big improvement, but after studying for the bar exam I know I can be proficient at multiple choice with enough active learning if I have a plan to get there.

Hey,

I was exactly in your situation a few months ago. I scored 570 in my first GMAT attempt. And my recent score is 720. I did a lot of things differently to get to a 720. I have made a debrief about my journey from 570 to 720. I hope you find it helpful.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-f ... l#p2648110
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16600 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: Study Strategy Focus on Quant or Verbal? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello Nextstep,

GMAT club is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, and many more.

Your current GMAT score is shaky. You can schedule a Free counseling(https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session) session for 20 mins with one of our experts to have detailed advice on your current study plans

A couple of things that can be a noticeable barrier to your scores would be some or all of the below.

• Lack of basic math skills
• Not detailed knowledge of GMAT Math pattern and Question types
• Inefficiency by using time-consuming Conventional method to tackle DS and PS questions still
• No expert support (maybe) who can tutor, analyze, and guide you during your learning
• Lack of many updated questions and practice in the recent exam trend
• Not well aligned with time to solve questions.

Precisely, there has to be one end-to-end solution encompassing all the points mentioned above. We also want to understand your approach to solving PS and DS questions. Next week, you can try our free diagnostic test https://www.mathrevolution.com/diagnostic/dtExamMember and receive a comprehensive study guide by topic. This test will clearly help you understand your weak areas.

Your study plan will now change as you are already ready with the vital concepts and their application. The diagnostic test report will give us detailed insight into various topics and your performance. After an in-depth analysis, we will draw out the category of the topics in which you are already better and those where you need more improvement. Also, we will be able to compare your performance while solving the PS and DS questions

Also, make a note of various possible combinations to achieve a score of 700 or 700+. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

The possible score combinations for 700 or 700 +: Q should be Q 46, 47, 48, and V should be V38, 39, 40.

We recommend that you must learn the Variable Approach for solving DS questions and the IVY approach for solving PS questions in order to improve your accuracy and save time while solving the question types.

The most important for you will be learning and commanding the Variable Approach for DS questions and IVY Approach for PS questions. These approaches are the robust self-designed time-saving techniques that will help you learn efficiently, thus raising your score in the quick nick of time.

Register with MathRevolution https://www.mathrevolution.com/member/signup to get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons.

700+ level questions https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/questionbank are separately available, too. Start with the learning of the concepts. Make a habit of taking notes during the initial learning of the concepts.

After registering, you will have access to the practice section. Initially, try solving the DS and/or PS questions from very easy and easy category questions on the topic(s) you have learned. You may also connect with one of our experts to get one of the best tutoring supports, which will help understand the topic(s) and solve questions and learn how to manage time and accuracy.

Adding to the same, mastery of the Variable Approach to solve DS questions and the IVY approach to solve PS questions would add a feather to the cap. Below is the useful link we will recommend you to visit on GMAT club to experience the power of DS and IVY approaches.

Ultimate Q51 guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ultimate ... l#p1613600

Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1641411

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time-management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Punit Joshi
Math Revolution Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Ok so you MUST improve in quants first , that itself will boost your score significantly. I would say give 80% of your time for quants and 20% to verbal. Once you hit q45+ change this ratio to 50-50 and you'll be good to go..

Hope this helps
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1434 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
NextStep2021 wrote:
sjuniv32 wrote:
I think you should focus on quant as it is relatively easier to secure more points in quant. You can see the score calculator link in the link given and set a target:

Thanks, that is a nice tool. That is what I was thinking since it seems like the quant I am reviewing now comes back easily. Do you think it is best to just get through the foundational materials before moving onto practice questions?

Yeah, I suppose so. If you have time, explore the video explanations to OG quant questions from the link below:

https://gmatquantum.com/official-guides/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
While it's important to boost your math score and this is for some people a quicker route to go, based on your scores, you're going to need to improve both sections and verbal typically takes longer.

Are you a native American English speaker?
Do you read The Economist and NYT Sunday Magazine or Vibe and People magazine?
Do you feel comfortable with the math and feel you just need to review or do you think you need an overhaul?

Answers to these questions can help identify where you are on the spectrum of moving your score and what you might want to do to move forward. The test may be standardized, but each student is unique.

For example, mastering Sentence Correction you will want to determine whether you can trust your intuition or need to adhere to rules and bolster your understanding of 'meaning' skills - - or where you are on that range of engagement. You'll also want to dig deeper in your diagnostic test and identify not only your strengths and weaknesses by assessing the questions you answered correctly/incorrectly but also, HOW you answered them wrong and which questions you guessed on or that you answered correctly but don't know why. From this inquiry, you can determine how you want to proceed, and whether you want support outside of the GMAT Club ecosphere. Do you want to self-study, enroll in a recorded program, take a group course or hire a private tutor or create some combination of these.

How do you learn best and what will be the most efficient way of learning? Remember: you're going to business school so think of this also as a business decision where there is a time/money equation. Further, do you need an even higher score than anticipated to potentially be considered for funding and how does that fit into the equation?
in our experience, you'll be best served by addressing the 4 aspects of GMAT mastery to score your best:

Content Mastery,
    Best Practices in Test-Taking Strategy,
    Time Management and
    Optimal Mindset.

The last two are often not thought of in the test prep process but they can be game-changers to some (read: many) students. Our time management training goes way beyond answering questions within a designated time. Effective time management anticipates that most students lose time reading. We teach GMAT (and GRE) specific speed reading techniques, boosting scores up to 26% and increasing reading speeds up to 5x. Upgrading ones reading by reading faster without compromising comprehension also improves performance on the entire test.

Optimal mindset is also valuable for students who feel anxious and lack confidence, focus, or calm in the testing environment and/or taking high stakes tests. Our coaching goes way beyond a student feeling confident with the material and practising. If a student feels anxiety it's likely not new and they've felt it way before taking the GMAT. Overcoming it you often need skills more potent than 'breathing techniques' and that work more quickly than setting up a mindful practice. These are both helpful but often, not enough. We teach and coach from holistic and mindful modality toolbox that includes hypnosis, Neuro-linguistic programming, EFT, EMDR, sound therapy, and more to teach test-takers how to get out of their own way and fire their inner critic. Test anxiety, trouble sleeping, procrastination or any other emotional dysregulation is handled quickly so our students perform their best when it counts the most. And when we say quickly: it's typically 3 - 5 hours and students are anxiety-free!

We offer GMATCLub folks a free consultation, so sign up for one here.https://calendly.com/directortpny/test-prep-strategy-consultation

And be in touch if you want to check your reading speed or experience a recorded track to alleviate anxiety!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TestPrepGuru wrote:
1) Are you a native American English speaker?
2) Do you read The Economist and NYT Sunday Magazine or Vibe and People magazine?
3) Do you feel comfortable with the math and feel you just need to review or do you think you need an overhaul?

1) Yes I am.
2) I am a lawyer so I read and write about 10 hours a day.
3) From what I have reviewed so far everything is coming back fairly easily. I just need to review the concepts again since I have not looked at math in years.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
quote="NextStep2021"]
TestPrepGuru wrote:
2) Do you read The Economist and NYT Sunday Magazine or Vibe and People magazine?
3) Do you feel comfortable with the math and feel you just need to review or do you think you need an overhaul?

Quote:
1) Yes I am.
3) From what I have reviewed so far everything is coming back fairly easily. I just need to review the concepts again since I have not looked at math in years.

So based on this - - YES. A targeted focus on math is important, AND, you can get the verbal up, likely with less effort. Curious of what your breakdown is with the verbal -- but a streamlined approach to knock out that with practice and fine-tuning then you're golden! Feel free to reach out to talk further.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TestPrepGuru wrote:
quote="NextStep2021"]
TestPrepGuru wrote:

Quote:
1) Yes I am.

So based on this - - YES. A targeted focus on math is important, AND, you can get the verbal up, likely with less effort. Curious of what your breakdown is with the verbal -- but a streamlined approach to knock out that with practice and fine-tuning then you're golden! Feel free to reach out to talk further.

My strongest area was critical reasoning (68%) then sentence correction (60%) then reading comp (50%). Note that reading comp I was thrown off by one of the more scientific prompts so it threw off my pace. I was also tired after a full day of work so need to try this again with fresh eyes.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
NextStep2021 wrote:
I am currently trying to figure out where to focus my efforts to improve the most on my score and any advice would be helpful.

I took a practice exam to see where my baseline is and I landed at a 570 (34 Quant, 35 Verbal). It has been a long time since I looked at math so this score makes sense. However, I was curious if it would be a better idea to focus on my studies more on Verbal or Quant moving forward?

Ideally I would like to score a 710 but I only have about 2.5 months (at about 3 hours a day) to study so I am trying to create a roadmap to stay focused on what is most important for score improvement. Obviously this would be a big improvement, but after studying for the bar exam I know I can be proficient at multiple choice with enough active learning if I have a plan to get there.

Hey,

To improve your score from 570 to 710, you need to change your approach towards GMAT prep. Doing the prep in the right direction is the key to score well on GMAT. As GMAT is a test of application of concepts, you need to focus more on the application part than on practicing questions.

And to improve my more than 100 points in two months, you need to have a solid study plan with clear deadlines. And the study plan should help you focus on your weaker areas and at the same time let you maintain the momentum in your stronger areas. I'm not sure of the resource you are using right now, but if your resource doesn't help you with the study plan or if it doesn't help with concepts, methodologies and standard solutions then I would suggest you to switch to a standard resource.

I can suggest you in a better way if you can get in touch with me over a call. Meanwhile, if you wish to get a personalized study plan, you can sign up for the free trial of GMATWhiz. If you wish to connect over a call and discuss the study strategy, you can do so by using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
thanks for this website bruh
GMAT Club Bot