Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: MGMAT CR? CR Performance dropped [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sherry2101 wrote:
HI,
I've started my GMAT prep 1 month back. Currently at 680.
In the last 1 month I was preparing using OG & MGMAT.

While I could see improvement for all sections, I need advise on MGMAT CR book.
I completed this book today & started CR questions from OG. I got almost 8-9 questions wrong out of 10!!!
Usually I get 7-8/10 Questions right in each section. So I'm shocked at this performance & wondering why this is happening.

In terms of official GMAT practice tests, I scored the same percentile overall (pre post MGMAT CR) but my CR performance there improved (I only got 2 CR Qs wrong on practice Test 2 as compared to practice test 1).

Are OG questions generally hard or different compared to official GMAT Practice yesy 1,2. (I don't have pre post MGMAT CR data for OG CR questions)?
Do OG questions need different approach compared to what has been discussed in MGMAT CR.

I also checked out Veritas & eGMAT lectures & found the approach very different.
I'm sharing as much info as possible, since i want to figure out what am I doing wrong?
Please advise.

-S

Sorry to hear that your experience with Manhattan Prep material has been suboptimal, Sherry2101, but it may be a case of over-analysis on your part, of abandoning some of your natural inclinations in an effort to follow a method that may in part run contrary to your own. This is not to say that Manhattan Prep material is poor in quality, just that it seems, at least for CR, not to resonate with you at the moment. It is not uncommon for students preparing for the test to try out different materials. Some prefer Manhattan Prep, some Veritas Prep, and still others PowerScore. All of them establish useful guidelines for taking on CR questions. They just may do so in slightly different ways. Trust me, once your accuracy in CR starts to climb, you will look at the same words in the Manhattan Prep CR guide in a different way. My advice? Look to integrate MGMAT strategies into your own techniques. With practice, you will turn a corner.

To touch on your query regarding the difficulty of questions between the OG and GMAT Prep, no, they are not much different. The OG simply places all questions from the same category (e.g., Easy) together and then gets progressively more difficult, while GMAT Prep questions can yoyo, based on your performance. The Manhattan Prep strategies should apply equally well to OG and GMAT Prep questions. Start with Easy questions and get your accuracy up to 90 percent or greater, then repeat the process for Medium questions, shooting for 80 percent or greater. Reward yourself for hitting each benchmark. The GMAT™ is a test that punishes mistakes on easier questions more than it rewards correct answers on harder questions. Too many aspirants overlook this tendency and focus too intently on Hard questions. (The bar may not be so high if you mess up the easier questions, and you may have exhausted yourself during your preparation, thinking you were no good at CR, when the real problem was that you never gave yourself a chance to build confidence.)

Good luck with your studies. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MGMAT CR? CR Performance dropped [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts