Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q40 V42
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Scholarships and Deposit Payment [#permalink]
It really depends on the school. I agree - some of them have quite weird rules... I remember that one student of mine applied to the University of Florida, and he has got the same question. If I'm not mistaken, he had to submit the deposit to confirm his enrollment. The AdCom responded something like, "possibly, your scholarship will cover the deposit when the scholarship is disbursed". But possibly. :D
Accordingly, the best way to know it is to clarify this question with an admission officer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you. I eventually got a partial scholarship and still had to pay the deposit. All the schools I got admitted to (all partial scholarships) still required a deposit payment.

Providing this clarification in case someone else has the concern at another time.

LukeChester wrote:
It really depends on the school. I agree - some of them have quite weird rules... I remember that one student of mine applied to the University of Florida, and he has got the same question. If I'm not mistaken, he had to submit the deposit to confirm his enrollment. The AdCom responded something like, "possibly, your scholarship will cover the deposit when the scholarship is disbursed". But possibly. :D
Accordingly, the best way to know it is to clarify this question with an admission officer.

Posted from my mobile device
GyanDhan Financing Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Whether a scholarship covers the deposit for a school program depends on the specific policies of the institution and the terms of the scholarship itself. Generally, here's how it can work:

Deposit Required Regardless of Scholarship: Many institutions require all accepted students to pay a deposit to secure their spot in the program, regardless of whether they have been awarded a scholarship. This deposit demonstrates the student's commitment to attending the institution.

Scholarship Covers Deposit: In some cases, a scholarship may cover the deposit, especially if the scholarship is for full tuition or explicitly states that it includes the deposit. This is less common and would be clearly outlined in the scholarship terms.

Deposit Deducted from Scholarship Amount: Sometimes, if you are required to pay a deposit before receiving scholarship funds, the deposit may be deducted from the total scholarship amount awarded to you. Essentially, you pay the deposit out of pocket, and it gets reimbursed or accounted for when the scholarship is applied to your tuition and fees.

Separate Arrangements: Some schools might have special arrangements for scholarship recipients, such as deferring the deposit payment until scholarship funds are disbursed, or waiving the deposit under certain conditions.

To understand how your scholarship impacts the deposit requirement, you should:

Read the Scholarship Offer Carefully: The terms of the scholarship should specify whether it covers any required deposit or if the deposit needs to be paid separately.
Contact the Financial Aid Office: If the scholarship terms do not clearly address the deposit, contact the school's financial aid office for clarification. They can provide specific information on how the scholarship affects your deposit obligation.
It's important to get a clear understanding of this aspect to avoid any surprises and ensure that you are fully compliant with the school's enrollment and financial policies.­
GMAT Club Bot