Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Schools: HEC LSE MFin "22
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Re-taking the GMAT after 4 years. [#permalink]
Not dramatically, I think it would be fair to say. Would suggest going through an e-version of the OG2021, though,
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello DjWater,

GMAT club is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, and many more.

You can schedule a counseling(https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session) session for 30 mins with one of our experts to have detailed advice on the current GMAT Math trend and pattern.

You can also try our updated free diagnostic test https://www.mathrevolution.com/diagnostic/dtExamMember.

Register with MathRevolution https://www.mathrevolution.com/member/signup to get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons. We provide the most comprehensive courses with “Up-to-Date” questions. This will help you understand the current GMAT math question patterns.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Math Revolution Team
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi DjWater,

Since you last studied for the GMAT over 4 years ago, some aspects of the Exam have changed since you last took it. First, both the Quant and Verbal sections are now SHORTER (less time and fewer questions per section relative to the version of the GMAT you took several years ago). Second, there is now an option to choose the order of the sections (from among 3 options). Third, since Covid-19 has made it a bit more complicated to take the GMAT at a Test Center, there is an option to take it Online; the 'format' of the At-home GMAT is "fixed" though (Quant, then Verbal - with no break in-between, then an optional 5-minute break, then IR, with NO AWA section). Having to take Quant and Verbal in one sitting is challenging for many GMATers (especially if you've been taking your CATs with an 8-minute break between sections).

If you're looking to restart your studies, the logical first step would be to take a practice CAT/mock in the current format. You can access 2 for free at https://www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can re-familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What study materials - if any - do you currently have access to?
2) What is your overall goal score?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

1) What study materials - if any - do you currently have access to?
I had purchased Manhattan Prep material in the summer of 2015 and have some Veritas Prep stuff people have given me over the years.
2) What is your overall goal score?
660 overall. 35V 46Q 6.0AW 3IR
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?
Ideally, in the next year or two, I am aiming for a top 10 school.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22054 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re-taking the GMAT after 4 years. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi DjWater,

I don't think it would be a bad idea to consider additional materials. With that in mind, in addition to seeking advice in this thread, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses, and also read through some GMAT success stories to see what materials have worked well for other test-takers.

Also, would you like some general advice on how to improve your verbal and quant skills?

You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
DjWater wrote:
I took the GMAT twice back in 2016/2017 and unfortunately didn't get the scores I wanted. I believe my second try was a 660. I'm about to hit the average age for MBA so I figured I should give it another try before it's too late. I have Manhattan Prep stuff back when I did their online course. Has anything really changed? Do I need to get updated test prep stuff?

Hi DjWater,

Since you are getting back to GMAT prep after a considerable gap, I suggest you to take an official mock to assess your current level. That will help you understand the current GMAT structure and plan your studies accordingly. Meanwhile, you can through the below links to understand the right way to prepare for GMAT.

How to effectively plan your studies for GMAT

3 Key skills you need to ace GMAT

If you wish to have a detailed discussion regarding the study strategy, you can get in touch with me using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DjWater,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you will actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice! In that same way, if you are interested in some highly-competitive Schools, then you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to work on those individual areas, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Since the overall content of the GMAT has not changed much over the last several years, you might be fine working with the current materials that you have. However, that immediate study plan sounds 'book heavy'; unfortunately, many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. There's no harm in starting off your studies in that fashion, but you'll likely end up needing to invest in some additional, non-book resources at some point.

Once you've taken that initial CAT/mock Score, you should post back here (or you can feel free to PM me directly) and we can discuss the results and how you might best proceed with your studies.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi DjWater,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you will actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice! In that same way, if you are interested in some highly-competitive Schools, then you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to work on those individual areas, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Since the overall content of the GMAT has not changed much over the last several years, you might be fine working with the current materials that you have. However, that immediate study plan sounds 'book heavy'; unfortunately, many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. There's no harm in starting off your studies in that fashion, but you'll likely end up needing to invest in some additional, non-book resources at some point.

Once you've taken that initial CAT/mock Score, you should post back here (or you can feel free to PM me directly) and we can discuss the results and how you might best proceed with your studies.

Rich

Awesome thanks for the advice. What do you mean by non-book resource?

It sounds like the advice from everyone here is to think about taking a CAT again to see where my baseline is now.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DjWater,

To score significantly higher on the GMAT (relatively to your last attempt), you will have to make some fundamental changes to how you 'see' (and respond to) the Exam. If you're going to use the same books that you used during your 2nd attempt - and essentially work through practice questions in the same ways that you did before - then you will likely end up with a similar result (in the mid-600s). In the broader sense, that similar outcome would be likely regardless which books you used because if you developed any 'bad habits' during your prior studies, then "your way" of approaching the GMAT likely won't improve by doing lots of book-work. By extension, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led) - but we'll have a better sense of your particular "needs" once you've taken a FULL practice CAT/mock.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot