Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Question bank [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Foxter,

While working through a certain number of practice questions should be expected, you have to be careful about confusing 'quantity' of study with 'quality' of study. In simple terms, if you're approaching GMAT questions in inefficient ways, then sticking with those 'bad habits' through 100s or even 1000s of practice questions could end up getting you stuck at a particular score level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the books that you mentioned?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hey Rich

I appreciate, you taking the time to reply back.

I am not going in for quantity here, it is just I want to engage better with the concepts and to really get it in.

To answer your questions.
I have been doing questions on a timer daily for the past 1 month almost (Since I was already well-off with the Quant topics, I wanted to check which ones need some polishing). On a good week, I commit anywhere between 18-20 hrs (While working full time in IT) and apart from the listed books I have the verbal and quant OG.

I am aiming for a score in the ballpark of 690-710 and plan to take the test in June/July. My preferred schools are mostly ISB, NUS and Rotman School of Management but definitely not limited to these.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATWhizTeam wrote:
Foxter wrote:
Hi there,

I have scored a 410 on the official mock test and I am looking forward to taking that up. I am currently studying using the manhattan prep books but they don't have much questions topic wise. I am looking for a questions app or a question bank (preferably e-book) that has some good questions. I will be using the GMAT club's question bank but I am looking for something else as well for now.

Please drop in some suggestions.

Thanks,

Hi Foxter,

If you are in a misconception that practicing more and more questions will help you get a good score then I'm afraid that's not the right approach. GMAT is not a typical test in which more practice gives you better accuracy. GMAT tests your application skills along with the conceptual knowledge. So, your focus while preparation has to be more on learning the right methodology than on practicing questions. You only move to practicing questions after you are done with learning the concepts and the methodology. You can go through the below articles to understand better.

How to start your GMAT Preparation?

How to effectively plan your studies for GMAT?

The 3 key skills you need to develop to score well on GMAT

How to choose the right resource?

So, choose a course which can help you with the following not just the questions.
  • Concepts
  • Methodology (Most important)
  • Standard questions
  • Their detailed solutions

The best thing to do would be to check out the free trials of the online courses out there and choose the one which suits you the most. But make sure you choose the one which can help you with the above factors. You can check out the below article to know more about the factors to consider while evaluating an online course.

Key factors to consider while evaluating an online course

And I would suggest you to check out the free trial of GMATWhiz before taking a decision. The course is designed in a very structured manner that you are taught the concept and methodology of a topic first and then followed by a couple of quizzes. This way your learning of the concepts and the methodology goes hand in hand. If you wish to have a detailed discussion regarding the study strategy, you can get in touch with me using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call

Hi GMATWhiz team,

Thanks for taking the time to reply back. I'll go through the links you shared.

The reason why I am looking for the question is that I want to engage better with the concepts. (Not going in for quantity over quality for sure). I am on a tight budget that is why I am trying to work it out myself without any course.

Thanks
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Foxter,

Regarding prep courses (that may have question banks), in addition to seeking advice in this thread, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses, and also read through some GMAT success stories to see what materials have worked well for other test-takers.

Also, would you like some general advice on how to improve your verbal and quant skills?

You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Foxter,

From the information in your last post, it's not clear whether you have been studying for just 1 month OR you have studied longer than that (and only began timing yourself over the last month). Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so IF you've been studying for just 1 month, then you should not be focused on your pacing right now (and you should not expect to have mastered any of the concepts just yet).

Thankfully, you have plenty of time before June/July, but you will have to be efficient with your studies going forward to raise this 410 to a 690+. From what you've described, your studies so far have been "book heavy"; unfortunately, many GMATers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book study materials for this next phase of your studies.

1) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Foxter,

From the information in your last post, it's not clear whether you have been studying for just 1 month OR you have studied longer than that (and only began timing yourself over the last month). Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so IF you've been studying for just 1 month, then you should not be focused on your pacing right now (and you should not expect to have mastered any of the concepts just yet).

Thankfully, you have plenty of time before June/July, but you will have to be efficient with your studies going forward to raise this 410 to a 690+. From what you've described, your studies so far have been "book heavy"; unfortunately, many GMATers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book study materials for this next phase of your studies.

1) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Hey Rich,

Since I am on a very tight budget, what could be some of the best non-book study materials?

To answer your questions:
I'll definitely opt for a test facility and per week I plan to put-in about 22hrs per week.

Thanks
Foxter
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Foxter,

Regarding prep courses (that may have question banks), in addition to seeking advice in this thread, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses, and also read through some GMAT success stories to see what materials have worked well for other test-takers.

Also, would you like some general advice on how to improve your verbal and quant skills?

You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Hey Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Since I am on a very tight budget I won't be able to opt into any course but I'll do checkout the other stuff you shared.

Thank you!
Foxter
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
There are E-versions of the Official Guides. There are also Online only question banks (Official Questions) that may be worth looking into.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OnlineTutorKnight wrote:
There are E-versions of the Official Guides. There are also Online only question banks (Official Questions) that may be worth looking into.

I'll make sure I get my hands on it.

Thanks,
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi GMATWhiz team,

Thanks for taking the time to reply back. I'll go through the links you shared.

The reason why I am looking for the question is that I want to engage better with the concepts. (Not going in for quantity over quality for sure). I am on a tight budget that is why I am trying to work it out myself without any course.

Thanks

All the best for your prep! You can still get in touch over a call with me. I will be happy to help you with the study strategy.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Foxter wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Foxter,

Good luck!

Hey Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Since I am on a very tight budget I won't be able to opt into any course but I'll do checkout the other stuff you shared.

Thank you!
Foxter

Sounds good. I'm here if you have any additional questions.
GMAT Club Bot