Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Tepper ($$) vs Wharton vs Re-Apply

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Tepper ($$) vs Wharton EMBA vs Re-apply [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Here’s the funny part of the MBA, speaking to a PM from Amazon and another one from Microsoft, they both joked how they’re not using any of the knowledge they have gain during the business school for their current jobs though it is exactly because of their business school degree why they have their jobs at the moment. They’re doing a lot of learning on the job and I think that’s generally an expectation. You definitely want to understand how the cloud works and the latest trends but nobody will be asking you internal proprietary information during the interview. You could probably brush up on all your basics without doing a masters in a matter of two months and come out pretty strong by taking a couple of the fluffy online classes or if you prefer, you can take HBX. They have a ton of options. A lot of it is also available publicly online you just have to find the time and motivation. I think it’s awesome you want to better yourself and a lot of people fail to see that but you would potentially be taking a year of your productive career to do that and I’m not sure that you can afford it.

My only other thought is going for MSX or Sloan fellows since those programs are one year MBA equivalence for more experience professionals who don’t want to do a traditional executive MBA. That could be a good option but I think both of those have finished there intake seasons and past the deadlines.

I personally don’t feel you need any more tech background that what you have already. Many tech companies have variety of projects that go from corporate to consumer to AI and they prefer people who can learn fast rather than someone who is deep and immovable. The key is eating the interview most of the time. I see Tepper placing modestly on the West Coast at the moment... around 22% most people are still in IMD Atlantic and East coast areas.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Tepper ($$) vs Wharton EMBA vs Re-apply [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Here’s the funny part of the NBA, speaking to a PM from Amazon and another one from Microsoft, they both joked how they’re not using any of the knowledge they have gain during the business school for their current jobs though it is exactly because of their business school degree why they have their jobs at the moment. They’re doing a lot of learning on the job and I think that’s generally an expectation. You definitely want to understand how the cloud works and the latest trends but nobody will be asking you internal proprietary information during the interview. You could probably brush up on all your basics without doing a masters in a matter of two months and come out pretty strong by taking a couple of the fluffy online classes or if you prefer, you can take HBX. They have a ton of options. A lot of it is also available publicly online you just have to find the time and motivation. I think it’s awesome you want to better yourself and a lot of people fail to see that but you would potentially be taking a year of your productive career to do that and I’m not sure that you can afford it.

My only other thought is going for MSX or Sloan fellows since those programs are one year NBA equivalence for more experience professionals who don’t want to do a traditional executive MBA. That could be a good option but I think both of those have finished there intake seasons and past the deadlines.

I personally don’t feel you need any more tech background that what you have already. Many tech companies have variety of projects that go from corporate to consumer to AI and they prefer people who can learn fast rather than someone who is deep and immovable. The key is eating the interview most of the time. I see Tepper placing modestly on the West Coast at the moment... around 22% most people are still in IMD Atlantic and East coast areas.

Thank you! I hear that a lot about certain degrees not really being necessary. I'll probably do a cheap MS in CS at some point, just because of personal desire (I could have done around 7 years ago but was dumb and decided to keep working)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
FYI - you may want to tune in to this video that starts in 20 mins:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [5]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Wharton easily.

I just don't get this decision. OP is in his early 30s and deciding between a Tepper MBA and a Wharton eMBA.

It's a decision between being the oldest person at a T20 MBA program with low global brand recognition OR joining one of the best business schools in the world and having industry leading colleagues, but getting an eMBA. In a few years post-graduation, no one will even realize it's an eMBA vs an MBA. Has to be Wharton hands down. Also, if you want tech, W's SF campus is calling your name for networking.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Wharton easily.

I just don't get this decision. OP is in his early 30s and deciding between a Tepper MBA and a Wharton eMBA.

It's a decision between being the oldest person at a T20 MBA program with low global brand recognition OR joining one of the best business schools in the world and having industry leading colleagues, but getting an eMBA. In a few years post-graduation, no one will even realize it's an eMBA vs an MBA. Has to be Wharton hands down. Also, if you want tech, W's SF campus is calling your name for networking.

Thank you for your response JohnnyBlaze! I agree with you, however, there's also other factors (from my perspective). The way I see it, this is a decision between:

- T20 vs HSW
- Low global brand recognition vs Massive global brand recognition
- Being one of the oldest vs being one of the youngest
- 100k vs 215k (and I have a feeling I might be able to negotiate more scholarship with Tepper if I leverage the EMBA admission, though I could of course be wrong)
- FT vs part-time
- Pittsburgh vs staying put (I prefer moving)
- Leave job vs stay in job
- Now vs 1 year from now
- Change careers vs stay in same career
- Have fun, take a break, have the full MBA experience vs part-time
- Have flexibility in electives vs a more structured curriculum
- Be able to take tech classes vs not being able to do so (though I understand it might not always be possible or desirable)
- Be in a tech-focused environment vs one that's not
- Better fit vs less fit

Etc, etc.

I understand that the Wharton EMBA is probably the logical choice, but I wonder if choosing Tepper instead would be totally insane. I wonder if anyone around here has ever made such a call. Graduating with as little debt as possible is important for me and if I'm going to spend that much money on a degree, I'd rather be able to have some fun, take any class that I want. Work vs no-work is dependent on the quality of my current company. Last year I was ok with doing part-time, this year things are different.

I'd have preferred to have on the plate something closer in ranking. Maybe Stern ($$) vs Wharton EMBA, or Kellogg vs Wharton EMBA. Alas this is not the current scenario... this is why I think of re-applying, although there's certainly no guarantee I could get into these other schools, or that I'd get money at them.

As a side-note, a friend of mine did the Columbia EMBA and loved it, he even took Python, C++, Databases and similar classes. Another friend took classes in Organizational Psychology. I've heard that Booth EMBA is also super international and includes trips and it's also a far friendlier environment, the Wharton EMBA one is very intense.

I understand a lot of people might not agree with my hesitations, and I agree that some of them seem petty. I wonder if I'm making a wrong move but not choosing Wharton and whether I should essentially force myself to go there, and get over some of these concerns. I understand it won't hurt me, it'll grow my career, but I'm also wary about spending close to quarter of a million dollars on something that might not necessarily feel as good over the two years that I'm there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
You're overthinking this wayyyyy too much.

It's a Tepper MBA vs a Wharton MBA.

Tepper has $$$ attached and Wharton has an 'e' attached. But at the end of the day, those are the degrees. Everything else is just details (noise).

When it comes to $, if you're too worried about the cost difference, your dreams aren't big enough.

Tip: If you do end up at Tepper, don't tell your classmates about your decision as you'll quickly be branded as insane and probably subject to countless jokes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JohnnyBlaze wrote:
You're overthinking this wayyyyy too much.

It's a Tepper MBA vs a Wharton MBA.

Tepper has $$$ attached and Wharton has an 'e' attached. But at the end of the day, those are the degrees. Everything else is just details (noise).

When it comes to $, if you're too worried about the cost difference, your dreams aren't big enough.

Tip: If you do end up at Tepper, don't tell your classmates about your decision as you'll quickly be branded as insane and probably subject to countless jokes.

For what it's worth, the 'e' for the Wharton degree does not bother me at all, that's not the point.

What makes you think folks would label me as insane and make fun of me? I've talked to a few folks about it and no one's thought it's crazy to not do Wharton (not saying that's what I will do). I have heard of at least one person turning down HSW for Tepper though in their case it was a complete full ride.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Because it's not just Wharton>Tepper, it's Wharton>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tepper.

Tepper will get you your first job, Wharton will get you a career.

T15-T20 students have a bit of a chip on their shoulder as the schools are 'top' but not 'top enough.' Expect many to think you're insane for your decision, as they would have easily elected for Wharton over Tepper in any form. These would be the ones who don't have big scholarships to turn down HSW, the vast majority of students.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JohnnyBlaze wrote:

T15-T20 students have a bit of a chip on their shoulder as the schools are 'top' but not 'top enough.' Expect many to think you're insane for your decision, as they would have easily elected for Wharton over Tepper in any form. These would be the ones who don't have big scholarships to turn down HSW, the vast majority of students.

Regardless of whether or not you make valid points, I doubt people would call me insane or make fun of me. Clearly you'd, but I don't think that's representative of everyone else.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, Wharton is stronger than Tepper, I don't think you need to point the obvious. The OP's situation is more complicated than usual though, at least I feel that way, the Wharton is an EMBA and is delayed by a year. There is urgency which makes the decision a lot more complex. Maybe something that eluded you in the original post but I feel the wharton vs. tepper is not comparing apples to apples. Just my 2 cents.

I would agree that on the surface people will ask you "why did you pick Tepper again?" and that will be your Tepper classmates as the first group double-guessing your decision. I had to make a few non-popular unusual decisions in my life and I am always annoyed with people double-guessing and making very rudimentary suggestions saying such as "well, you need to look at the rankings" and it makes it a complex argument since they I am defending my decision which was a lot more complex than they realize or ever will realize and I get pissed of at them at the end. Not a reason to be influenced by that but you can be finding yourself sometimes saying "I went to Tepper with a full scholarship and that was really my only option at that time" sort of justifying Tepper.... but I am not sure what situation the OP is in. Obviously Wharton is higher-ranked but we have to make peace with our decisions and there are many factors.

JohnnyBlaze wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
If I'm reading this correctly, the OP deferred his acceptance to Wharton, and now he regrets it and is trying to decide between going to a lower-level school and waiting a year to atone for his mistake.

Yes, deferring was a mistake, no mitigating that. I've never heard of anybody turning down Wharton for Tepper. I could see if the OP had a better FT option on the table, but he doesn't.

Given Wharton's reputation in tech and the fact that half of the program's students are tech executives, I don't see one rational reason here for choosing Tepper, but some lucky waitlister is happy to gain from your unfortunate error.

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for the summary 😉

bschool22 wrote:
If I'm reading this correctly, the OP deferred his acceptance to Wharton, and now he regrets it and is trying to decide between going to a lower-level school and waiting a year to atone for his mistake.

Yes, deferring was a mistake, no mitigating that. I've never heard of anybody turning down Wharton for Tepper. I could see if the OP had a better FT option on the table, but he doesn't.

Given Wharton's reputation in tech and the fact that half of the program's students are tech executives, I don't see one rational reason here for choosing Tepper, but some lucky waitlister is happy to gain from your unfortunate error.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts