Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1441 [0]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: GMAT 740 (49Q, 42V), IR 5. Should I retake? [#permalink]
HWSAspirant wrote:
I just finished my GMAT exam and got a 740 (49Q, 42V), with IR 5, AWA probably around 4.5-5.

Sure this is not a bad score, specially given that I studied only 3.5 weeks full time for the test. But I consider re-taking it, as:

a) I do not like my IR score and think that I could have done better if I had devoted c. 1 day to IR just to review my wrong answers.

b) I scored 770, 750 and 770 on the 3 GMAC prep exams I did under timed conditions (with the middle one being the 2nd Preptest in a day), I went pretty confident into the exam for a 760+.

c) I felt extremely competent in Quant section. I exhausted pretty much all 700-800 level Quant Questions on ManhattanPrep (Advanced Quant Book + online question + all 6 CATs) and did not feel that I had any knowledge gaps. In the 3 official GMAC prep exams I did under timed conditions, I scored 51,50 and 51 on Quant respectively. Therefore, I feel rather disappointed about my Quant score (especially because I have an engineering background and generally love math and logic games).

d) I feel that I have one specific weak area in the Verbal part, which is Sentence Correction. In all 3 Official GMAC prep exams, I had exactly 6 Verbal questions wrong, 5 of them being SC. I think that if I had more time to dig a bit deeper, I could score higher on the Verbal part (that was also what I felt during the exam, as it took me quite longer than the recommended 80 seconds for most SC questions.

e) I am only going to apply for HBS, Wharton, Stanford Business School, MIT Sloan And Columbia Business School. I know those are 10 points over the median scores of those schools, but I really want to get into at least 1 of them and don‘t want to get rejected because of GMAT.

So, shall I retake?

Posted from my mobile device

Congrats on your score. You still have scope to improve your Quant score. Considering your targets schools, IR and quant score would be an hindrance for your admit. It is better to retake one more time. All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi there,

to give an update: I re-took the GMAT today and scored a 750 (Q51, V40), with a 7 on IR. I think, given my timeline, it will probably not be worth to take it again :)

But, a lesson I learned (or, better, got reminded of) today and would like to share here:

We pay $250 for the test, so it is justifiable to feel a bit entitled when it comes to acceptable testing conditions.

When I was in the 3rd question of the Quant part, I heard a huge and aggressive wasp flying above my head. When I realized that the wasp would not get away from me, I was wondering what to do because everyone would laugh at me once they realize that I am afraid of such a little animal.

Quickly, though, I came to the decision that it was definitely not worth scoring low in the Quant section (and therefore wasting $250), called the admin immediately and told her that there is a wasp flying above me and I can't write the test under these conditions. Another admin came with a magazine, opened the window and guided the wasp outwards. I lost at least 2 minutes because of this, though somehow I managed to finish the Quant part with 30 seconds spare time.

Cheers!
Director
Director
Send PM
HWSAspirant wrote:

a lesson I learned (or, better, got reminded of) today and would like to share here:

We pay $250 for the test, so it is justifiable to feel a bit entitled when it comes to acceptable testing conditions.

When I was in the 3rd question of the Quant part, I heard a huge and aggressive wasp flying above my head. When I realized that the wasp would not get away from me, I was wondering what to do because everyone would laugh at me once they realize that I am afraid of such a little animal.

Quickly, though, I came to the decision that it was definitely not worth scoring low in the Quant section (and therefore wasting $250), called the admin immediately and told her that there is a wasp flying above me and I can't write the test under these conditions. Another admin came with a magazine, opened the window and guided the wasp outwards. I lost at least 2 minutes because of this, though somehow I managed to finish the Quant part with 30 seconds spare time.

Just to point out that a wasp is not a "little animal". Wasps have been known to have seriously injured or killed animals and humans worldwide. They can be deadly under certain conditions.

Everyone deserves acceptable testing conditions, even though time was lost here. I can guess that if you had scored a 570 (a play on your actual score of 750), the wasp would not have appeared to be a little animal and you may have had grounds for a retake.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT 740 (49Q, 42V), IR 5. Should I retake? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Wow congrats! Impressive you have scored a Q51 with this type of an interruption...
I am not sure I would have noticed it since I usually shove my earplugs pretty deep to block out as much noise as possible. I did not even hear the person next to me leave on the test... the time flew by.

P.S. So you are not retaking yet again I assume? 750 it is?

HWSAspirant wrote:
Hi there,

to give an update: I re-took the GMAT today and scored a 750 (Q51, V40), with a 7 on IR. I think, given my timeline, it will probably not be worth to take it again :)

But, a lesson I learned (or, better, got reminded of) today and would like to share here:

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Wow congrats! Impressive you have scored a Q51 with this type of an interruption...
I am not sure I would have noticed it since I usually shove my earplugs pretty deep to block out as much noise as possible. I did not even hear the person next to me leave on the test... the time flew by.

P.S. So you are not retaking yet again I assume? 750 it is?

HWSAspirant wrote:
Hi there,

Cheers!

Yeah I don‘t think I‘ll re-take, since I‘m having some job interviews coming up + I should start preparing for LSAT, since I‘m planning to apply for JD/MBA joint degrees.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Good luck with LSAT.
Some business schools will actually take your LSAT. At least for the next year or so. We had a life panel today with Fuqua, Ross, and Yale and Ross is taking LSAT for its business school. I can’t remember about Yale....

https://youtu.be/Ob_MmwQKgWw

Director
Director
Send PM
bb wrote:
Good luck with LSAT.
Some business schools will actually take your LSAT. At least for the next year or so. We had a life panel today with Fuqua, Ross, and Yale and Ross is taking LSAT for its business school. I can’t remember about Yale....

Interesting development. This must be for MBA programs. PhD programs in business are not taking the LSAT nor has any school even discussed this possibility.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Good luck with LSAT.

https://youtu.be/Ob_MmwQKgWw

Thanks!

Ah really, never heard of that actually. I think Yale doesn’t, it is among both the business schools and law schools I will apply, and I did not find this information in their website.

Though, tbh I find the LSAT significantly (!) harder compared to GMAT. If they were cars, LSAT would be a Lamborghini and GMAT probably a Volkswagen or so. If the opposite were true (Law Schools allowing GMAT) it would actually have been a quite huge relief for me haha
Director
Director
Send PM
HWSAspirant wrote:

Though, tbh I find the LSAT significantly (!) harder compared to GMAT. If they were cars, LSAT would be a Lamborghini and GMAT probably a Volkswagen or so. If the opposite were true (Law Schools allowing GMAT) it would actually have been a quite huge relief for me haha

LSAT is the harder test. Their analytical games and verbal sections reign over the puny GMAT's questions, although the adaptive nature of the GMAT can make things complicated. Don't know about those car comparisons though.
GMAT Club Bot