Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:20 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I had my first one a few weeks ago. absolutely bombed it. The lesson I took away is that formulating an answer in your head is not enough, you have to practice out loud, whether it be in front of a mirror or with a friend. I know that sounds like obvious advice but its something I didn't follow, and I payed.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks guys for ur responses. What about the questions that we need to ask? I found everything that I was looking for on their website. I can't come up with any questions :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tajik4GMAT wrote:
Thanks guys for ur responses. What about the questions that we need to ask? I found everything that I was looking for on their website. I can't come up with any questions :(

are you interviewing with a student alumni or an adcom?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Personally, I really dislike the notion that "you have to have a question ready to ask." I'm a very analytical type who researches things compulsively ahead of time, so I honestly didn't have something that I *had* to ask. However, you gotta play the game...

Definitely stay away from questions that have obvious answers that you could have looked up on the school's website.

I chose questions of the "what's your opinion" variety. For example, Kellogg has a reputation for being teamwork zealots. I asked "I have a couple friends who went to Kellogg. One said the teamwork environment was great. The other said that it can sometimes be a bit extreme and forced. What do you think? Is this changing?"

So... questions that are very much about the school, demonstrate that you're thinking about the school, and don't have obvious and available answers.

My 2 cents
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
jayy178 wrote:
i have my first interview coming up in a month..from what i hear, the very common questions are:

know your resume (tell your life story)
why mba
why XYZ school
why now
short term/long term goals

You MUST have SOLID and CLEAR answers to these:

why mba
why XYZ school
why now
short term/long term goals

MAKE SURE you can answer these.

Practice. I burned a CD with practice questions and listened to it in the car on my way to work. I'd hit play, listen to the question, turn the volume off, answer it, and then go to the next track. I did that 3 or 4 days a week for about two weeks, for about 2 hours a day.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Practice. I burned a CD with practice questions and listened to it in the car on my way to work. I'd hit play, listen to the question, turn the volume off, answer it, and then go to the next track. I did that 3 or 4 days a week for about two weeks, for about 2 hours a day.

That is a truly awesome idea.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
brown wrote:
rhyme wrote:

That is a truly awesome idea.

It also feels really good when you get an accept, go to the work the next day, hit the highway, turn on the stereo, and laugh at the CD, take it out and throw it out your window at 70mph.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Tajik4GMAT wrote:

rhyme,

It says Assistant Dean
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
what questions do people typically ask adcoms?
With an alum I'd be able to ask about his experiences etc...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tajik4GMAT wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Tajik4GMAT wrote:

rhyme,

It says Assistant Dean

Then ask about new initiatives at the school, or where they see the school progressing over the next few years. Ask them what students like most about the school.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:

It's a great idea.. where did u get the audio files ? lemme know if u still have them....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Quote:

It's a great idea.. where did u get the audio files ? lemme know if u still have them....

rhyme, let me know as well. thanks :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
He he. Just

- plug in the mic
- launch Recorder
- press Start
- say "Why MBA?"
- press Stop

See? Now you got an audio file. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Re: Interviewing for the first time........ [#permalink]
How do you think you will contribute to the school or the learning of other students ?

Tajik4GMAT wrote:
I have my first interview in two weeks. Any tips or common questions that are going to be asked? Help needed from the gurus :) And what kind of questions do they usually expect from the applicants?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks everyone for ur input :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Quote:

Just record yourself. I use audacity.

https://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Works very well, and you can record more than 60 seconds. Hit record, hit save as q1.wav, hit record, hit save as q2.wav, hit record... burn to disc. Pop in car. Done.

I also used audacity to pratice at home. I'd record my answer - not so much to listen to it (though I sometimes did) but more as a timer than anything else. So I could see if my why mba answer was taking 10 minutes. By recording my responses too, I could go back and see how my answers were doing - getting shorter as I praticed or getting longer.. And every now and then I'd listen to one and see what I thought about it. Sometimes I'd nail the question, and other times I'm just get completely lost halfway through. This was where audacity is better than windows sound recorder - because I can record as long as I like with audacity, whereas I'd have to stop my answer every sixty seconds with windows recorder.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Quote:

Just record yourself. I use audacity.

https://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Works very well, and you can record more than 60 seconds. Hit record, hit save as q1.wav, hit record, hit save as q2.wav, hit record... burn to disc. Pop in car. Done.

I also used audacity to pratice at home. I'd record my answer - not so much to listen to it (though I sometimes did) but more as a timer than anything else. So I could see if my why mba answer was taking 10 minutes. By recording my responses too, I could go back and see how my answers were doing - getting shorter as I praticed or getting longer.. And every now and then I'd listen to one and see what I thought about it. Sometimes I'd nail the question, and other times I'm just get completely lost halfway through. This was where audacity is better than windows sound recorder - because I can record as long as I like with audacity, whereas I'd have to stop my answer every sixty seconds with windows recorder.

How long was ur average interview? Mine says it is gonna be one hour. Is it long or short compared to urs?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2