Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:00 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Re: When to apply for financial aid. [#permalink]
Pelihu, can you please enlighten me how FAFSA works. I became a US resident few years ago and am now eligible to apply. What are the advantages of filing for FAFSA ?

pelihu wrote:
What is the appropriate time to file the FAFSA? Should you forward it to all schools, or wait and just forward it to schools you are admitted to.

In the bad old days, when I applied to law school, I remember submitting a disk with FAFSA data along with the application (by mail of course), but I didn't see any schools request this. Some specifically state to file after tax returns for last year are completed - but do you then wait for a decision before sending it?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
lhotseface wrote:
Pelihu, can you please enlighten me how FAFSA works. I became a US resident few years ago and am now eligible to apply. What are the advantages of filing for FAFSA ?

pelihu wrote:
What is the appropriate time to file the FAFSA? Should you forward it to all schools, or wait and just forward it to schools you are admitted to.

In the bad old days, when I applied to law school, I remember submitting a disk with FAFSA data along with the application (by mail of course), but I didn't see any schools request this. Some specifically state to file after tax returns for last year are completed - but do you then wait for a decision before sending it?

The FAFSA is used to apply for federal aid. Federal loans generally have lower interest rates, and some can be subsidized which means interest does not accrue while you are in school. It is also used to quality for federal grants, though these are generally not very substantial. Many schools also use the information from the FAFSA to determine eligibility for other forms of financial aid (work-study, need based grants from schools, etc).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

pelihu wrote:

The FAFSA is used to apply for federal aid. Federal loans generally have lower interest rates, and some can be subsidized which means interest does not accrue while you are in school. It is also used to quality for federal grants, though these are generally not very substantial. Many schools also use the information from the FAFSA to determine eligibility for other forms of financial aid (work-study, need based grants from schools, etc).

So... what if I had $100,000 to pay for grad school already? Could I just take out an interest free loan and put the fasfa money into a 5% CD - and make like $10K during my two years of interest free?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
I would put my 100K in a CD and use the FAFSA money to pay the loans. I guess the FAFSA amount can only be used to pay the Bursar's office. It doesn't make sense for the feds to allow students to use the cash any other way. It would end up as beer fund for most undergrads.

rhyme wrote:
pelihu wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

pelihu wrote:

So... what if I had $100,000 to pay for grad school already? Could I just take out an interest free loan and put the fasfa money into a 5% CD - and make like $10K during my two years of interest free?
[/quote]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
lhotseface wrote:
I would put my 100K in a CD and use the FAFSA money to pay the loans. I guess the FAFSA amount can only be used to pay the Bursar's office. It doesn't make sense for the feds to allow students to use the cash any other way. It would end up as beer fund for most undergrads.

Yea this is what I meant - I mean, money is fungible - it doesnt matter. The point I was making was that if I can get $100K from FAFSA, and I have a two year no-interest period - I could take the $100K I have and put it in ING or similar (~5%) and make $10,000 in two years - which isn't much, but its free money.

There has to be a catch.... Seems too simple. Can you even borrow $100K?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ah here's the catch:

https://www.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/DirectLoan/faq.html

I can't borrow more than $18,000....

Then again:

With a PLUS loan, a graduate/professional student or the parent of a dependent student can borrow up to the cost of the student's education minus other financial aid the student receives.

So I'm a bit confused.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't think you are guaranteed to get financial aid. And I believe that you will need to disclose your financisal situation when you apply for FAFSA. The more money you have, the less of a loan/grant amount you'll get. So rhyme, with 100k you may not be eligible for much or any aid.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
EconGirl wrote:
I don't think you are guaranteed to get financial aid. And I believe that you will need to disclose your financisal situation when you apply for FAFSA. The more money you have, the less of a loan/grant amount you'll get. So rhyme, with 100k you may not be eligible for much or any aid.

That makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
There is a max of 18,500 for the subsidized loan and then you can get a unsubsidized loan (which means your interest accrus the minute it is disbursed to you) and you can get the remaining part of ur college tuition and expenses that way. The unsbusidized is a new loan called the federal GRAD plus loan and it has i believe a 8% interest rate... hope this helps :) also both of them u start paying after u graduate i believe but jst that 8% will accrue as ur in college for anything over 18,500 a year... hope this helps :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
AshikaP wrote:
There is a max of 18,500 for the subsidized loan and then you can get a unsubsidized loan (which means your interest accrus the minute it is disbursed to you) and you can get the remaining part of ur college tuition and expenses that way. The unsbusidized is a new loan called the federal GRAD plus loan and it has i believe a 8% interest rate... hope this helps :) also both of them u start paying after u graduate i believe but jst that 8% will accrue as ur in college for anything over 18,500 a year... hope this helps :)

well there goes the arbritrage opportunity :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]