Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 17:03 It is currently 01 May 2024, 17:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 499 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 785 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 536 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am sorry that you didn't reach your target. Don't know exactly what to say, but can very well understand the pain you feel. Don't know much about your preparation, but you likely are weak in Verbal. May be you were already aware about this during your prep. Probably you need more time to master the V part. Did you feel really ready to write the exam?

Originally posted by karlfurt on 09 Feb 2007, 02:54.
Last edited by karlfurt on 09 Feb 2007, 03:49, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Same feelings for me as the others who replied already :)

Sumithra, u deserve a better score than the one u have got (high 500s to low 600s?).

As u2lover said, u should not give up !... Once again a battle won by the GMAT, but.... It's up to u to win the war ! :)

So yes.... The choice is in front of u, now... and... u already know my view on it now :)

:ninja :m16
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you very much everyone!

Few of my experiences to help others correct their faults:

My first question in Q was a PS. I took 3 min (unbelievable, I still didn't get an ans that matched the choices.) I moved on. I had 2 sequences and 2 probabilities and some traps in abs. But, I did not analyse my level while taking the test. Those of you who think that these type of q's come only when you are scoring well, can you guess my Q score?

I took six GMATprep tests after reinstalling. I had repeated q's, some from OG. For your analysis, I never had more than one prob. or seq. in each test. I scored 49 in one and 50 in all the rest. (I felt bad that I never got a 51! I know, my std. was not that high in all the sections. I did not do math after high school.)

Yesterday, I was surprised to see a 44! If you guess it was because I got my first q wrong, may or may not. Once I got a second q wrong in GMATprep and still got a 50. In the real test, we have some experimental q's.

I know that I was weak in V. I spent more time to figure out and correct my faults. Still, I never reached a 40 in GMATPrep. However, I scored (not in order) 680, 690, 690, 700, 720, 720 because of high Q score. I noticed that my number of incorrect ans were almost the same, though they were either more on SC or more on RC and not consistently on one section. But, I got many new q's in V except for one or two. I knew, my GMATprep scores were not a good indicator. Still, I decided to put a period to my preparations.

Hope this would help some in their analysis. It is just a test, not life. Keep going. Wish you all the best!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1540 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry to hear that Sumi. Indeed, you are not alone. For instance, I was an extreme example, perhaps even abherration, whereby I had over 3000 posts before I actually re-attempted the GMAT. I knew I was weak in verbal so I probably spent nearly 2500 posts on verbal questions alone in the verbal forum explaining every verbal concepts I could to others; this helped clear my concepts.

I understand how much pain it is after having done the GMAT a few times but once again, I want to let you know that it took me more than 1 year between my 2nd to my 3rd attempt. It was painful but worthwhile in the end. Hence, do not give up and you can PM me should you need some advice if you decide to change your mind and tackle this again.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not sure how much more I could add to the opinions of the others, but I do want to encourage you not to give up at this point, Sumithra. I can feel your pain for not having reached the target. However, I do not view this score as the reflection of your true ability. As you said yourself your math score has been consistently higher. It is more likely than not, I believe, that you will get a math score that is closer to your true ability in another attempt. Improving verbal score maybe a tougher job. But with even a little improvement coupled with your true math score your total score will be much better.

Take a break now. Pamper yourself a little. Go get some drinks. Get wild. Curse whoever you want to and make a GMAT puppet and beat it with your fists.

Then when you are refreshed, I hope you will come back.

Hong
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Sumithra,

Sorry about your experience. I know it would be easier said than done, but hopefully, you can move past this experience, and roll up your sleeves and start preping again for the GMAT. I truly believe the math was a freak experience which will not be repeated in your case. More than likely, the math affected the verbal.
That is what I am worried about for myself, as I get closer to giving my exam.

All the best towards whatever you choose to do (applying with current score or retaking the exam).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sumithra,

Your "reputation" has not gone anywhere. It takes a certain amount of guts and perseverance to take the path you took, make the attempts, and admit the difficulties on the way. While you are the best judge of what options you want to pursue in the future, here is wishing you the very best. For the next few days, take it easy, don't think too much, and then come back to your next steps with a new zeal.

good luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
[#permalink]
Hey Sumithra,

As necro pointed out your reputation is here to stay. Do not let this incidence affect your personal life..afterall its just a exam. I know it's easier said than done. Take rest for next week or so..do not think too much about the exam. I think you quant experience was freak one and you deserve much better score. If possible give GMAT another attempt after a long break and nail the beast.
Neways the choice is in your hands. All the best for the future :)
Hope to see you back :)

Yogesh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Sumithra,

I firmly believe in Newton's third law ' Every action has a reaction'. Don't think that your hard work is lost. It will have some positve impact somewhere which at this point you may not be able to realize.

I want to cite my personal example. I am an Indian with an engineering background. During my bachelor degree, I worked very hard to score high in an entrance exam for higher education( its called GATE)...But I didn't do that well in the exam and ended up with having a relatively low percentile. I was very sad and I thought that at this score I couldn't get in any IIT for my master degree. But you will be surprised to know that I got into best IIT in my area. And not only this, my hard work paid me to get a very good job after my master degree. Reason is that my hard work has made fundamentals clear, which helped me in interviews.

I am sure that if you decide to take GMAT again, your all hard work will help you. If you decide not to take GMAT, nothing is lost and there is a huge gain which at some point of time will show up.

Be positive and happy. Cheers....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you all for sharing your opinions and experiences. I appreciate your support and encouragement.
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know from the quality of your posts that a much higher score is in your future. I compare you to students of mine who scored 700, so it's just a matter of persevering!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
take some time out (maybe 4-6 months) and then resume if you feel like it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am surprised to receive my official score report so soon. Got a 5 in AWA.
At least, I'm happy with that. I am not so fast in typing and always happened to condense my ideas to finish the essays in time.

To those who are peparing for the test, I would suggest you to do your tests with AWA - for stamina and practice. You could pick one from OG, as GMATprep has same topics while retaking. But, I practiced only two tests with AWA and got 720 in both.

Thanks again guys.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37340 posts