Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Applying to B-School Advice Please!!! [#permalink]
jonnyjersey wrote:
Hey all, I'm getting ready to apply and was wondering what advice anyone has about 1) how many schools to apply to; 2) how many reaches and how many certainties to apply to; and 3) how to decide what is a reach and what is a certainty based not only on gmat score but also on experience, undergrad gpa, etc....thanks in advance for all your help!

Well, we can certainly try to answer here too.

1) You'll find that most people apply to about 4 to 6 schools. Some do 2 or 3, some do 7 or 8, but it seems like the vast majority do 4 to 6. It's a lot of work to do, so don't underestimate this.

2) This is an excercise in risk tolerance. You have to ask yourself this fundamental question: "If I dont get into a top 10 school, will I be happy at a top 15? top 20? top 30?" For myself, I eventually realized that if I didn't get into a top 15 school, I wouldn't be happy and wouldn't want to go, so I didn't apply to anything outside the top 15. For some, it's top 10 or nowhere. For others, it's top 30 or nowhere. For some, it's top 50. You need to dig deep on this - really really think about it. Project yourself to a school in the top 5 and then project yourself to a school in the top 11 to 15. Picture yourself there - will you forever regret not waiting another year and trying again? Will you be happy? The answer may be yes, the answer may be no. Then ask yourself this: "If I dont get in anywhere, am I ok with waiting another year to go, or do I absolutely want to go now?" The answers to these two questions may conflict, but give it some thought.

3) The easiest way to do this is to take a look at the averages for schools and compare them to yourself. Also see admissions411.com - you can get a good idea of what people with similar profiles ended up seeing. Remember though - it's not a formula. There are people with 780 GMATs who got rejected from top schools, and there are people with 640's who got in. Also, post your profile, and people can help give you some suggestions. Just remember to take the suggestions with a grain of salt. I've had people tell me HBS was a clear admit, and I've had people tell me Cornell was probalby a bit of a stretch but georgetown was a solid choice.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme, I hope you didn't take that U of Phoenix comment to heart - I still think you'd be a great fit there.

Jonnyjersey - I would recommend Montauk's "Getting into the top business schools." Along with this forum, I found it incredibly helpful. There are other books out there as well, but this just happened to be the one that I picked up.

The rankings are a good place to start, and Rhyme was right about the soul-searching. He's also right that it's difficult to judge what's a stretch and what isn't. You can obviously look at the quantifiables like GMAT, years of work experience, GPA, etc, but each person is so different. Yale obviously didn't realize that they should have been a probable for me - maybe I should have pointed it out in my essays.

Also, definitely consider what you want to do. I'm a nonprofiteer, and MIT or Stern -- two examples of great schools -- would be wretched fits for me. It ain't all in the rankings.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just one quick comment: there is NO such thing as a certainty for getting into any school.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
LastChance08 makes a really good point. There are no certainties.

Applicants are up against (1) the competition, i.e. other applicants (2) yield management i.e. if a school thinks you're using them as a back-up school and that you likely will not matriculate, they may not admit you, and (3) volatility, sometimes great candidates don't get in anywhere for no apparent reason.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
you guys have been extremely helpful. thanks so much for taking the time...i'll let you know how it goes. wish me luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]