Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:23 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Would I live with a stranger to save $250/month?

You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
FYI, if you can find apartments in NYC for that price please tell me! One bedrooms are aprox $2k per month and 2 bedrooms are aprox $2.5-3k per month. And those are basic apartments.

$1k for a 1 bedroom isn't horrible, but if you can find a fellow b-schooler, a 2 bedroom might make a ton of sense. I agree with jay, you MUST screen your potential roommates. 7/10 of them will likely be at least somewhat unstable.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
D@mn I should've left out Option 3 since it really isn't realistic. Who's ever heard of a hot girl in bschool?

One Good thing is that I can post in the MBA new student forums so my housemate will atleast be a fellow student. Meaning they will have the approx same work and schedule as me and we could even work together on assignments.

I'm more concerned about things like personal hygeine or personality conflicts...

PS - ok $1000 can't get a whole place, but you can certain share for $1000. But this is Ithaca we're talking about... if u drive 10 mins out, you can buy a farmhouse for $70k
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I honestly don't know what to say because I myself am wondering about this.

I would prefer to have a roomate because of costs and because it would be more fun. On the other hand, if I could not get any work done because my roomate (...college memories) then forget it.

I don't think it owuld be rude to ask your potential roomate a bunch of lifestyle related questions. And even if it were, I'd still do it because it is not worth risking living with someone you can't stand.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Was going to say no until I saw the third option.

Luckily i'm going to be doing #3 during my b-school tenure, only I already know the person.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I definitely want a roommate for b-school but you have to make sure that they're compatible with you. I learned that the hard way this year. My old roommate moved out and I wanted to stay put, so I let someone move in who I didn't know very well. I also learned that being tolerant of alternative lifestyles doesn't automatically mean you'll enjoy being around it on a daily basis.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
What would be a tactful way to screen people when I post to the student forums?

I don't want to sound retarded and have my classmates laugh at me for the rest of the 2 year program :oops:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It's really up to you. Quick name three pet peeves of random strangers!!!

If one thing came up quickly, you're probably better off on your own. $2/300 won't kill you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
What would be a tactful way to screen people when I post to the student forums?

I don't want to sound retarded and have my classmates laugh at me for the rest of the 2 year program :oops:

I would just offer to talk to anyone interested on the phone - normal people wouldn't think that was weird. Before talking to them, come up with a list of questions you would like to ask, and simply ask them. They are probably worried about ending up with a weirdo for a roommate too, so they might also ask questions.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
typicalgmatter wrote:
FYI, if you can find apartments in NYC for that price please tell me! One bedrooms are aprox $2k per month and 2 bedrooms are aprox $2.5-3k per month. And those are basic apartments.

About 3 years ago, a friend of mine rented a studio around 33rd and 3rd for $1200. NYC real estate is ridiculous. A NYC one bedroom costs more than a 4 bedroom colonial in Buffalo.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Go to Kelley School of Business in Indiana... you can get a palace for half that price. Or go with the girl... A hot and simple one!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Re: Housing Poll [#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
I know this is highly subjective, but I'm going crazy trying to find housing in the crazy little town of Ithaca. Rent prices are on par with NYC if you want to live within walking distance to campus.

I can get a studio for $985 and a 2 bedroom for $1450. So if I find a housemate it would be $725/person, a savings of $260. Now I don't really know anyone else going to the same school, so i will have to post on the new student forum and see if someone wants to share.

I guess atleast I know none of them will be over the top crazy since they all have been interviewed and made it into the school. But the question is... can I stand them? Would it be rude to ask them a whole bunch of personal questions.

Thanks, for your participation!

Interviewing potential roommates reminds of of this french movie called
L'Auberge espagnole (https://imdb.com/title/tt0283900/)
VP
VP
Send PM
helg wrote:
fluffydot wrote:
I know this is highly subjective, but I'm going crazy trying to find housing in the crazy little town of Ithaca. Rent prices are on par with NYC if you want to live within walking distance to campus.

I can get a studio for $985 and a 2 bedroom for $1450. So if I find a housemate it would be $725/person, a savings of $260. Now I don't really know anyone else going to the same school, so i will have to post on the new student forum and see if someone wants to share.

I guess atleast I know none of them will be over the top crazy since they all have been interviewed and made it into the school. But the question is... can I stand them? Would it be rude to ask them a whole bunch of personal questions.

Thanks, for your participation!

Hey, who in the right state of mind would go for anything but option number 3? :lol:

Agreed!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
L'Auberge espagnole was awesome. Remember the question, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?".
VP
VP
Send PM
lhotseface wrote:
L'Auberge espagnole was awesome. Remember the question, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?".

Yeah that was hilarious!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
good one [#permalink]
Good one! I'm also considering 2 options: staying with a relative, will have 1 confortable room for very cheap or no money at all, but I have to be tutor and around with 2 naughty kids and 30 mins away from the school, or stay on an 3-bed room on-campus apartment with 650 bucks/ month for 9 months, share with other 2 people from the same MBA program or at least from the same school. Really tough to decide now.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fluffy,

I love your NYC prices.

Personally, I voted for the hot chick just cause uhm, you wouldnt. But honestly, I'd rather live alone. You'll see this MBA people ALL the fricking time, and from what I hear, people at Cornell are at Sage a good portion of the day. I would much sooner just spend an extra $200 for the peace of mind of having my own place. Lots of reasons. One, if you live with a hot chick and you dont get her, that's just going to be frustrating. Two, if you need to bring a girl home and theres already a girl in your apartment, thats gonna be wierd and your new girlfriend is going to hate you for it. Third, no matter how much you screen, what if your roomate blows? Was it worth the $2,400 you saved?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's a tough one. I am a little on the super-frugal side (our heat is set at 62 right now...mmmm....toasty), but I have also gotten very set on the "I live like an adult now, thank you" lifestyle. Cornell has a major one-up on Duke only because I like being a homeowner and can't stand the idea of being a renter again. Being a renter with roomies? Ugh.

But I will say that you aren't going to spend a lot of time at home, so chances are good that you won't run into the person much. Also, it's really common in Ithaca for people to get housemates and be pretty choosy. Interviewing is definitely normal and ok. I often see posted notices like this:

We are: two fun womyn and a cat, nonsmokers, vegan.
You are: queer-friendly vegetarian or vegan who is looking for holistic community living experience.
High speed internet included.

I'm not kidding.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2