Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:01 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yup.

I've been a member of this forum for a long time. I didn't just join in Jan of this year. That's when I created this user name. I have different aliases.

Maybe a little paranoid. But better safe than sorry.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Why would you do/post things online that you wouldn't own up to in real life ?
I will leave it at that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
I will leave it at that.

Go ask that question on hdate.com :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't know if it's a matter of "owning up" to things or a matter of keeping personal and professional lives separate. I wouldn't want people in my professional life to know about 90% of the stuff I do or say in my personal life. Not like I'm a heroin addict, but the professional environment is incredibly politically correct.

For instance the article mentioned someone may not have been hired by a company because they were allegedly discussing the size of a classmates breasts on some message board. I would venture to say that that is pretty standard casual conversation among most men, and they wouldn't have a problem "owning up to it" in general, but of course that's not something they would want their employers knowing about them.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I can understand the part of keeping personal and professional lives apart. But, I doubt a company wouldn't hire you for that. Though you can get kicked out if you are caught near the water cooler in such a "routine" discussion by HR. If you are an online predator, it is likely that you will get in to sexual harassment trouble at work. So, a company wouldn't want to hire you for that.

johnnyx9 wrote:
I don't know if it's a matter of "owning up" to things or a matter of keeping personal and professional lives separate. I wouldn't want people in my professional life to know about 90% of the stuff I do or say in my personal life. Not like I'm a heroin addict, but the professional environment is incredibly politically correct.

For instance the article mentioned someone may not have been hired by a company because they were allegedly discussing the size of a classmates breasts on some message board. I would venture to say that that is pretty standard casual conversation among most men, and they wouldn't have a problem "owning up to it" in general, but of course that's not something they would want their employers knowing about them.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
BTW, the work environment is PC for a good reason.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've just been fired.... :) Ha, ha... J/K. I'm on GMATclub all the time at work. No one as ever said a word negative.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:

Actually, if I read it correctly, the article was talking about how someone didn't get hired because she was the one being talked about, not that she was the one doing the talking.

I can understand, somewhat, getting in trouble for your own comments and postings online. But to lose out on a job because of what others have said? I'm not sure I believe that's the only reason why she didn't get any offers, but the principle seems very objectionable to me.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
I will leave it at that.

I don't know, on a message board I might talk about browsing a message board at work, or leaving early to watch basketball, that I'm so preoccupied with applications that I have let my work slip, that I don't consider grades important or that I hate a particular school or industry. All of these have been discussed here, and I believe they are all fair topics of conversation. Any of them could potentially be damaging in the eyes of an employer.

What I'm more worried about are strongly held views on controversial topics. Politics and religion are not often the topic of conversation here, but views are commonly expressed on message boards. Depending on the individual handling the hiring, conflicting views could definitely affect their views - whether it is ethical or not.

Take this example - what if someone gets into a heated debate about, say, Hillary Clinton and goes on and on about he/she hates her. This was a pretty common view a few years ago, though less common these days. The internet never forgets. A recruiter with strong contrary views who is able to link the person with the idea might find it convenient to ignore that candidate for a job opening.

It's the type of thing that many would never discuss at the workplace; but I think it's perfectly valid to have the conversation at a bar, on the street or on the internet. The only problem is, that on the internet others might be able to figure out who expressed which views and hold them against you.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
klong009 wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:

Actually, if I read it correctly, the article was talking about how someone didn't get hired because she was the one being talked about, not that she was the one doing the talking.

I can understand, somewhat, getting in trouble for your own comments and postings online. But to lose out on a job because of what others have said? I'm not sure I believe that's the only reason why she didn't get any offers, but the principle seems very objectionable to me.

I read the article in the Post this morning and based on the info they provided it seemed like this woman really got screwed. She wasn't even getting called to interviews even though she had a top-notch record and resume.

I can see how seeing random ramblings about a person could put an employer off. It may not be fair, but it raises questions and uncertainties that an employer doesn't want to deal with. Its all about avoiding risk.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
I will leave it at that.

It's not about owning up to things.

You can't please everyone. Somebody will not like a post you made or a view you have or just your personality that comes through your posts.

And that somebody could be on the adcomm somewhere you applied.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I guess I am not paraniod about my opinions or Internet usage. I am what I am in public or private. If you want to hire me, great. If not, there is always someone else.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, squares and nerds don't need to worry about that because they won't say anything to piss someone off.

Just kidding... not really though. :)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
We are smart enough not to offend anyone to appear cool. If you are a jerk, you are a jerk. Anonymous or not. Here is the obligatory smiley :).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
We are smart enough not to offend anyone to appear cool. If you are a jerk, you are a jerk. Anonymous or not. Here is the obligatory smiley :).

you're a riot!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:

Have to go with Lhotse here.

What i say here or for that matter any other board is something I believe in and if somebody wants to screw me for that then so be it. If I were so worried about making a wrong impression or kissing everyone's A$@$ I would better join IB . :lol:
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
It's not about kissing everyone's but.

In fact, it's the opposite. I do offend people in real life. I'm not buddy buddy with everyone. (in case you haven't noticed) But I am careful about what I say to certain people (like my boss or parents).

With that said, anybody can see everything I've ever thought/said/wrote on this forum, so instead of being careful about what I write, it's better to stay anonymous and just say whatever the PHUCK I WANT.

Have you ever had a conversation you didn't want your boss or mom to hear?

Same thing applies here. So I'll continue to stay anonymous (and paranoid) and not have the people I've offended know who I am.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2