Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: Carlson (A$$)
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Re: What happens to my scholarship after I defer? [#permalink]
MBAGuide wrote:
Cathal93 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was recently admitted to the University of Minnesota to start this fall in the fifth round of its application cycle. I am getting married this August and away for some time and so I can't attend orientation. As a result—and based on counsel from the school as well—I am deferring to next year. The information I received from the school was as follows:

"... your admissions decision would be carried over, but your scholarship decision will be considered as if you were a Round 1 applicant. This has the potential to adjust your scholarship, as well. And none of this would jeopardise your standing as we understand that everyone has moving schedules!"

Does anyone have any experience with this and whether scholarship amounts in this situation are likely to change? My understanding is that a scholarship in round 1 is often higher than a scholarship in round 5... but I'm not sure what to expect in a deferred situation.

Any history or past learnings would be helpful!

Hi Cathal93 this scenario is not unusual. I deferred my MBA plans in the past(with scholarship) and have worked with applicants who did the same (after receiving admits) due to personal reasons. The schools make it known whether or not the candidate would have to revise the scholarship request for the next cycle, when the time comes. As a Round5 admit with scholarship, you may be able to get more when you re-apply as a Round1 scholarship applicant (although there is no guarantee). It would help if you show that you made progress professionally or did some solid community work when you re apply for the scholarship.

Best wishes

Thank you! What's interesting about my discussion with the school is that the only piece of content I append to my application is a brief statement indicating why I am deferring, which is to be submitted soon... there is no opportunity to share any professional/personal growth between now and round one applications (which I assume closes in October). Hopefully you are right that I might get a bump in a scholarship considering I got something in round 5 and now I am being evaluated in round 1.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Cathal93 wrote:
MBAGuide wrote:
Cathal93 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was recently admitted to the University of Minnesota to start this fall in the fifth round of its application cycle. I am getting married this August and away for some time and so I can't attend orientation. As a result—and based on counsel from the school as well—I am deferring to next year. The information I received from the school was as follows:

"... your admissions decision would be carried over, but your scholarship decision will be considered as if you were a Round 1 applicant. This has the potential to adjust your scholarship, as well. And none of this would jeopardise your standing as we understand that everyone has moving schedules!"

Does anyone have any experience with this and whether scholarship amounts in this situation are likely to change? My understanding is that a scholarship in round 1 is often higher than a scholarship in round 5... but I'm not sure what to expect in a deferred situation.

Any history or past learnings would be helpful!

Hi Cathal93 this scenario is not unusual. I deferred my MBA plans in the past(with scholarship) and have worked with applicants who did the same (after receiving admits) due to personal reasons. The schools make it known whether or not the candidate would have to revise the scholarship request for the next cycle, when the time comes. As a Round5 admit with scholarship, you may be able to get more when you re-apply as a Round1 scholarship applicant (although there is no guarantee). It would help if you show that you made progress professionally or did some solid community work when you re apply for the scholarship.

Best wishes

Thank you! What's interesting about my discussion with the school is that the only piece of content I append to my application is a brief statement indicating why I am deferring, which is to be submitted soon... there is no opportunity to share any professional/personal growth between now and round one applications (which I assume closes in October). Hopefully you are right that I might get a bump in a scholarship considering I got something in round 5 and now I am being evaluated in round 1.

Cathal93 irrespective of the documents you submit formally, you may still send in a friendly email to the admissions office later this year requesting for a scholarship re-consideration and if you have good reasons, personal or professional, ask for a higher financial award.
Although I understand there may not be much change at your end given that R1 is not far, you would at least make sure they read your request and reasons. :)

Best wishes to you
GMAT Club Bot