Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [4]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]

Send PM
Re: GMAT 2nd Attempt (20220611 - 760: Q50 V42) [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi zhanbo.

Nice job scoring 760 for a second time. I'd like to see you score 780 to 800 next time.

You might get from the following post some key insights that you can use to master SC and verbal in general to drive your verbal score into the upper 40s or 50s.

How to Score High on GMAT Verbal

Then, the high-score-specific ideas in this post could help you to finally achieve your lofty score goal.

How to Get a Perfect 800 GMAT Score

Thanks you, Marty!

If I should get 800 before I run out of my lifetime limit of 8 attempts (2 gone, 6 remaining), I will apply for a position in your company. It won't happen anytime soon. :-)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]

Send PM
PyjamaScientist wrote:
Bravo Zhanbo. Good luck for your future attempts.

A 100% accuracy in RC. Amazing.

Thanks. I had hoped for a slightly better score.

I also got 100% RC right in the first attempt. RC in GMAT is, after all, just like that of any other standardized tests. SC, on the other hand, is quintessentially GMAT!

In RC, our aim is to understand whatever sentences thrown to us; in SC, we totally understand many versions of one sentence but must find faults with all but one.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Gratz on the 760! Had a student who went from a V41 to a V45 in about 10 days so it is possible to increase Verbal at the top range. That being said, the scoring does get pretty steep. If you already know SC is where you are getting some questions incorrect, it may be worth working with a study buddy who is particularly strong on the SC component. You could teach them other aspects of the test in return.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
zhanbo wrote:
Thanks you, Marty!

If I should get 800 before I run out of my lifetime limit of 8 attempts (2 gone, 6 remaining), I will apply for a position in your company. It won't happen anytime soon. :-)

Honestly, I think you should take the attitude that it may happen soon.

A positive attitude is huge!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
zhanbo wrote:
It turned out that I scored the same 760 (same Q50 and same V42). While disappointed, I have not given up my hope to score 770 (or higher).

Congratulations on the two 760s
760 is a great score :)

I'm sure you can go from V42 to V46 or higher. Question is, why do you need to do so? Is it for the mental challenge?

Congratulations too for the top GRE score, especially for the 168 in Verbal.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]

Send PM
GMAT 2nd Attempt (20220611 - 760: Q50 V42) [#permalink]
Kudos
vv65 wrote:
zhanbo wrote:
It turned out that I scored the same 760 (same Q50 and same V42). While disappointed, I have not given up my hope to score 770 (or higher).

Congratulations on the two 760s
760 is a great score :)

I'm sure you can go from V42 to V46 or higher. Question is, why do you need to do so? Is it for the mental challenge?

Congratulations too for the top GRE score, especially for the 168 in Verbal.

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you for your encouragement.

I truly enjoy taking high-stakes tests such as GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, and SAT. I even took Duolingo English test, a rather obscure test that has gained some momentum thanks to the pandemic, just one month ago (and scored 145). The experience can be rather exhilarating.

I also coach aspiring students to be better prepared for those tests. It has been my practice to provide insights from the perspectives of top test takers.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congrats on the 760 zhanbo. I know you are not thrilled to get the same score but still, congratulations on the 99th percentile. If anything, we are not getting sharper with each day, and 2 years of the pandemic fog could have done a lot worse! I would not take it as a set back or at least a big one.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It is super helpful to get a professional overview and we are not often treated with such insights. Thank you for taking the time to share and post. Sorry, we were tied up with MBA Spotlight Fair so I missed your post yesterday.

-BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 1250
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Bookmarks
zhanbo wrote:

For my first attempt, read "Brief Debrief (20190920 - 760: Q50 V42)" at https://gmatclub.com/forum/brief-debrie ... 05807.html.

Thank you sharing your experience--it is inspiring!

I just join the SC Butler project and find it a useful and delightful learning project. It is interesting to discuss the answers before the official answers are revealed.

zhanbo wrote:
Verbal section: To be honest I think this verbal section is not particularly challenging. I breezed through all questions. I still had 7 minutes left for the last SC questions, which I got wrong. Altogether, there are four incorrect answers (1 CR and 3 SC). I am pretty sad about my rather dismal performance at SC. I really invested time on SC, and all SC questions (with perhaps the exception of the last one) seem straightforward.

For comparison, I got 5 Verbal questions wrong in 2019 for 42.

My take-away is to keep improving my SC skills. I was pretty close this time to lift my score into 770, yet I missed the opportunity from the very first question. I also need to pay attention to pacing: there is no benefits to allocating 7-8 minutes for the last question. For quant, it might be a myth that the first 10 questions are necessarily more important. Yet the first question seems to be really important and should be handled with utmost vigor.

Oh, an interesting fact is that the AWA question is exactly the same as I wrote about in 2019. I experienced deja vu when I saw the AWA prompt and, soon after, when I was shown the unofficial score screen.

GMAC should publish an SC guide written by actual question makers. Some of their rules of good writing may no longer be practiced by professional authors in the real world.

I wonder whether you could share some principles or strategies of pacing in this attempt. Although you say that you need to pay attention to pacing, I think your strategies will be helpful and inspiring for the test takers who want to speed up in the test. I am one of those--I definitely need to speed up in my next attempt since I only got few minutes for the last nine questions in my latest attempt.

For the verbal section, I usually set four lines to remind myself how much time I should save for the remaining questions. But after my latest test, I found out that some experts say that it is better to divide the 65 minutes to more phases, and to set more lines for the phases. So the time management will be more precise and if time is running out seriously in some phases, it is better to guess and move on. The advantage is to distribute the guesses more evenly, rather than to make many guesses in the final set, because making consecutive errors will be punished. (Video: https://reurl.cc/YvbGYo )

I do not think that you need to concern the problem of making consecutive errors, given that you answered only four questions incorrectly. But I am curious whether you set some lines in the 65 minutes.

Meanwhile, I have a strategy particularly for RC passages: When I run into a RC passage, I check the remaining time and give myself three minutes (for a short passage) or four minutes (for a long passage) to finish reading the passage and one minute for each one question. After I mark the line by which I should finish the questions, I concentrate on the passage and questions and do not check the clock often. I picked up this technique online. The advantage of this countdown method is that I feel more calm, but the shortcoming is that time can slip away easily if I am too caught up in the passage and questions.

But I am also aware that the high speed of answering could be a result of a lot of practice and deeper understanding of the tested concepts. So, I appreciate any advice about pacing or getting a clearer understanding. Thank you. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [2]

Send PM
Kudos