Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:40 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Definitely ask for an extension at UT; just write into Keri (forget her last name, but she's the Assistant Director / Admissions Counselor-- or something to that extent). She is very helpful. Her email is on the MPA website, but it might be more useful to call.

And wolverine... I am guessing there's no way you're not Mike. What up-- this is Drew.... I have my CIR signed and stamped, and ready to go to USC. Putting it in the mailbox tomorrow. So looks like I'll be seeing you June.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
What up Drew. Yeah, I actually saw your post about UT and USC the day you put it up. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to seem stalkerish after just giving you a campus tour.

You made a good decision. You're going to enjoy it. Hopefully I'll get a TA position for the summer and see you then.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi, I know that UT Austin's program is #1 but is there difference in advantage between UT and USC's programs? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
dvannier wrote:
Definitely ask for an extension at UT; just write into Keri (forget her last name, but she's the Assistant Director / Admissions Counselor-- or something to that extent). She is very helpful. Her email is on the MPA website, but it might be more useful to call.

And wolverine... I am guessing there's no way you're not Mike. What up-- this is Drew.... I have my CIR signed and stamped, and ready to go to USC. Putting it in the mailbox tomorrow. So looks like I'll be seeing you June.

Hi, I also got into USC. Did you have to choose between UT and USC as well? If so, what propelled you to choose USC over UT?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
JustMe...

1. Both are Top 5 programs. Prestige is a non-issue.

2. You're going to school to learn and get a job. So where do you want to work?
I know USC sends students around the nation as I have classmates going to New York, Chicago, Atlanta, etc. I would assume Texas does the same. However, if you want to work on the West coast, USC is a better option. Throughout recruiting, I met many USC MAcc graduates from the Big 4 and others. They are loyal to the program and will serve as a great networking tool. I signed with Deloitte (in November before we even had taken finals) and I already have MAcc grads looking out for me. I've gotten a couple emails letting me know that they plan to get me working with them on certain clients. The Big 4 recruits hard at our school as do mid-teir and smaller firms.

If you want to work in Texas or neighboring states like Oklahoma, UT would probably be better.

3. Would you rather be in a major city and metropolitan area like Los Angeles or would you rather be in a classic college town like Austin?

4. USC's program is maximum of 11 months and as little as 8. I've read UT is either 3 or 4 semsters.

5. I've gone through USC recruiting program and it is amazing. There are many recruiting events strictly for the MAcc program. We have events from Round Tables to Firm Tours. During the tours, we go to one of the Big 4's offices, or a mid tier like Grant Thornton. The firms give an hour long or so presentation highlighting their firm. Then we go to a restaurant or social club and have drinks and appetizers while we chat with as many professionals as we like. This is a great way to get to know the firms better and to meet the people that you could potentially be working with. It also gives them a chance to get to know you before on-campus and in-house interviews. You really get a feel for the culture of the firm and where you fit best. The USC MAcc program spoon feeds us jobs. Approximately 75-80% of the class has a Big 4 job, while others elected for mid or small tier firms. I only know two people that didn't have offers by the end of November and they are sure to get a job before they graduate. USC has the best recruiting program that I could imagine.

You should research UTs recruiting program. It is of major importance to your career.

6. I can tell you that we as a class at USC are very close. Everyone knows everyone else and we have a lot of fun both in and outside of school.

7. I live 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean, does it get any better?

Just some things to think about. What is your thought process when comparing the two?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you for your feedback.

I have heard many good things about USC and honestly I had my mind set on USC for two reasons: I want to work in CA and I want to graduate within one year. Another attraction for me would be the fact that USC is a private school. I went to a UC school for my undergraduate degree and I imagine UT Austin as a public school is pretty much similar in the way the school is run although I don't know that for sure. However, UT's program has been #1 for the past 13 years, so it is hard for me to turn down an offer from a #1 program without knowing exactly what I would be giving up. Costwise, out-of-state tuition for 2.5 semesters at UT is close to the tuition cost at USC for 2 semesters so not much difference in that department.

The recruiting process at USC sounds truly amazing but I think the job prospect from both schools should be equally good. Since I intend to reside in southern california or maybe northern california, USC would probably be a better choice then right?

Will you be working in the Deloitte in downtown LA near/on Grand?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think you are giving too much credit to these rankings. I know last year USC was #4. In my opinion there is no difference between 1 and 4. How can there really be a recognizable difference? According to the Public Accounting Report, UT placed #1 in graduate studies for the first time in 2001. In their survey, they only take into consideration the opinion of professors and department people...not the opinion of the firms that will be hiring you.

Just to clarify, each office at these big firms make their own hiring decisions. It's not like you have an interview with a national HR person, get the job, and then they send you wherever you want. Proximity of the school you choose to the market you want to work in is important.

If you want to work in California, this is a no brainer. There are many USC graduates working in every firm. I can't stress enough that the California offices recruit USC hard and our network of graduates in these firms create direct value for you. If you were a hiring manager at E&Y in Los Angeles...who are you more likely to hire considering similar credentials during an in-house(at the office) interview...a USC graduate who you have met at a recruiting breakfast, a round table Q&A session, a firm tour, and an on-campus interview....or....a Texas graduate who you meet for the first time at the in-house interview after they have made it past their on-campus interview in Texas. Obviously the USC grad. You will get much more face time with the people responsible for hiring in the LA and other California offices at USC.

You mentioned that the tuition is approximately the same for the degree, though hte Texas program is longer. Don't forget the opportunity cost of having to go to school longer at Texas. While you would still be in school paying tuition and living costs, you would be making money after graduating from USC.

Remember too your own network you are creating with the people you graduate with. I will being going to work at Deloitte LA with 9 people that are all my friends. I will also know many more working at other firms in LA and around CA. I will have a lot of connections locally in my profession because of USC.

If you want to work in LA or California, USC is plainly a better option. In a place like Chicago, Texas and USC would be seen as equally good.

I want to make it clear that I am not trying to bash Texas. It is obviously a great accounting school.

Originally posted by Wolverine1999 on 28 Mar 2007, 20:28.
Last edited by Wolverine1999 on 28 Mar 2007, 21:43, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I just read my post and I seem intense. I'm really not. For some reason I got all passionate about trying to help you make what I think is the best decision for you.

Yeah, Deloitte's office in LA is downtown. Though, I'm in audit so I will be spending most of my time at clients' offices.

If you have any questions regarding the program whether academic or otherwise, feel free to ask. I like to help for some reason. I just love the program and want others to have a similar experience.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Wolverine1999,

No worries. I looked beyond the intensity to find a lot of useful information in your response. In fact, I want to thank you for what you said, esp. the whole job scenario presented in the third paragraph. It totally made sense. I want the networking and that's why I chose USC from the get-go as my top 1 choice. You were also right-on about the ranking thing, i.e. how I paid too much attention to it, and the opportunity cost of those extra six months by attending UT Austin. Actually, I just found out that I have been awarded with scholarships so the cost of USC has really come down for me. Anyway, I'm soooo excited now and I'm ready to turn in my CIR this coming week =)

I'll certainly have questions and when I do, I'll take up on your offers. Will you be checking this forum or is it okay to PM you?? Thank you so much for your help again!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: what to do re. UT Austin, USC [#permalink]
If you're staying in California, go to USC. That's a no-brainer and I'm going to UT. If you wanted to go somewhere besides California or Texas, it still wouldn't matter because you're in one of the Holy Four (UT, USC, UIUC, BYU) where you can pretty much go anywhere.

The only major career-related draws of one of the four over the others that I can think of would be getting into select cities. Austin, for instance, is very hard to recruit into with a Big Four if you didn't go to UT - there aren't many spots and a lot of people want to live there, so they can be as picky as they want. I understand SLC is similar for BYU and I imagine there are desirable cities that have lots of USC grads (I don't think UIC has this situation, though.)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Mr1337Duck wrote:
If you're staying in California, go to USC. That's a no-brainer and I'm going to UT. If you wanted to go somewhere besides California or Texas, it still wouldn't matter because you're in one of the Holy Four (UT, USC, UIUC, BYU) where you can pretty much go anywhere.

The only major career-related draws of one of the four over the others that I can think of would be getting into select cities. Austin, for instance, is very hard to recruit into with a Big Four if you didn't go to UT - there aren't many spots and a lot of people want to live there, so they can be as picky as they want. I understand SLC is similar for BYU and I imagine there are desirable cities that have lots of USC grads (I don't think UIC has this situation, though.)

Just so you know, you have responded to a thread that six years old.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts