Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow, an ultramarathoner! Let me know how that goes. What's your training like for that event?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 930 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
People say marathon runners make great leaders, and history has a lot of examples.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well artshep, this specific year I'm not doing much unfortunately :( Have just changed jobs, so have absolutely no time to prepare for the marathon... I fear my result will be pitiful (if I at all manage to complete the track).

Last years, however, the preparation took about 3 months. 3 times a week I ran a cross-country (actually a seaside) track of about 15 km; last 2 weeks I increased the distance to 30 km. Besides, I was training my legs at home.

Basically, the most crucial things are:

- agonize over finding footwear that is comfortable for you. If you don't get one, you die. For me it was a pair of $10 shoes made in China; I was surprised how well they fit my feet and how little pain they cause. Also, you MUST wear them for at least a month before M day, including multiple training runs. Brand new shoes are a suicide.

- train, train, train. Don't take it as a cakewalk, even if you're seriously into sports. The bad part about these extreme marathons is not about muscle. They totally kill your knees - walking/running nonstop on a highway (NOT a stadium!) puts enormous stress on knees. If you're unprepared, you die. (I died 2 times.)

- when you're on the track, there are many useful tips & tricks, but the most critical thing you should carve into you brain is that YOU MUST KEEP WALKING. You refuse to fail. No reasons, no explanations, just "NO. I no stop. I go." When your brain burns out (it happens at about 70 km), you will be unable to think about anything at all. That's why it's so important that KEEP WALKING is engraved on the inside of your hollow skull. You die, but you just wouldn't stop. :)

...and yeah, it IS fun. Even despite all the stuff above :) I just love that feeling of hardcore challenge, and it's so exciting to crush your teeth struggling for victory. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
braindancer wrote:
If you're unprepared, you die. (I died 2 times.)

That is the coolest thing I've ever heard. :-D

You've got to be one tough mother to run one of those ultras...best of luck and let us know how it goes when you're done.

You are right...for those involved in time consuming activities outside of work that require lots of training, it is extremely tough to fit in the time required to train properly when you are working hard. Especially, as in your case, when you experience some sort of career change (move, job switch, promotion, etc.)

I've always thought that working out in the morning would be the best way to fit in the training. I've had periods of time where I've started training at 5 or 6am and then was able to work without worrying how I'm going to fit in a run or weights session after work. However, I wasn't able to sustain those periods. I think I need to go back to that - I really don't see myself running a 10 mile tempo run after 10 hours of class, studying, etc.

Your training doesn't sound too bad. The volume isn't much different from a marathon. I'll be doing runs of up to 15mi (25km), from now until the last 8 weeks before the race. At that point, I'll do some long runs of 16-20mi (26-32km) and then taper off about 2-3 weeks before the race in early October.

Best of luck and let us know the results.

By the way, for everyone...I keep my training on a google spreadsheet that's open to the public (link below). If anyone's interested, feel free to check it out.

For anyone training for the Chicago marathon, feel free to let me know and I'll add you as a collaborator if you want to track your training as well.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pSkb7SCcSeksDJuEZ8bzPag
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have once run a marathon, and I can describe it as a near-death experience :lol: Train well, and build your stamina.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry, forgot to update this one... I survived for 55 km :( The two key points that caused my failure are lack of training (obvious) and more importantly, lack of team.

I was running alone after 15 km mark, and it was an extremely depressive experience. Every step you do, you keep thinking about how much you still have to go, and how much you suffer. Music helps, but only for a certain time - until it starts to pissyou off. With this lack of communication and 'distracting factors', I burned myself out completely and arrived to 50 km checkpoint with no passion for success at all. I just wanted the whole thing to end, no matter how. After a 1.5-hour crawl for 5 km, I realized this is a useless torture and went off.

Next year, I'll try my best to prepare adequately and to build a team... Lessons learned :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
[#permalink]
Braindancer, I read your post and laughed. I felt exactly the same. :lol: I guess, one has to experience a DIFFICULT marathon run to appreciate your humor.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
braindancer wrote:
Sorry, forgot to update this one... I survived for 55 km :( The two key points that caused my failure are lack of training (obvious) and more importantly, lack of team.

I was running alone after 15 km mark, and it was an extremely depressive experience. Every step you do, you keep thinking about how much you still have to go, and how much you suffer. Music helps, but only for a certain time - until it starts to pissyou off. With this lack of communication and 'distracting factors', I burned myself out completely and arrived to 50 km checkpoint with no passion for success at all. I just wanted the whole thing to end, no matter how. After a 1.5-hour crawl for 5 km, I realized this is a useless torture and went off.

Next year, I'll try my best to prepare adequately and to build a team... Lessons learned :)

I feel you, man...although I've never gone through the feeling to that extent and at that distance. 55km is a freakish distance to run, I don't care who you are. So big congrats on that, even though you felt like crap doing it :lol:

I'll have to see how I feel after this marathon in October. If I feel like a crazy SOB after that time, I may ask to join you in your next ultra.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]