Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32929 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 882
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE:Public Relations (Real Estate)
Send PM
When we eat food, our perceptions of the flavors are highly subjective [#permalink]
For the first question, I'm torn between B and D.
Option B states that the author persuades the reader that trained food critics should evaluate dining experiences. Is that not what the author's intention seems to be?

Option D again seems correct except for the latter part which mentions "the implications of being a food critic." Can someone please help me understand how is that implied?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32929 [1]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: When we eat food, our perceptions of the flavors are highly subjective [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
anureetjuneja wrote:
For the first question, I'm torn between B and D.
Option B states that the author persuades the reader that trained food critics should evaluate dining experiences. Is that not what the author's intention seems to be?

Option D again seems correct except for the latter part which mentions "the implications of being a food critic." Can someone please help me understand how is that implied?

Explanation

1. The primary purpose of this passage is to __________.

Explanation

The primary purpose of this passage is to inform the reader about the complexities of evaluating food quality and the implications of being a food critic.

The passage begins by discussing how our perceptions of food flavors are subjective and influenced by various senses, including taste, smell, sight, touch, and even hearing. It mentions that chefs manipulate ingredients to maximize the color of produce and that diners who experience food with soothing music enjoy their meals more. This information sets the stage for discussing the role of food critics.

The passage then contrasts everyday diners with food critics, explaining that critics are trained to consider their experiences of food through the lens of each sense, independently evaluating smell and taste. It highlights that assessing the quality of food is an art form that requires acumen and is performed by few. The passage also acknowledges the increasing ease for anyone to create a blog or column and offer their opinions on restaurants and cuisine, which some see as egalitarian, while others view it as diluting the selectivity of the field of food critics.

Overall, the passage aims to provide insights into the complexities of evaluating food quality, the role of food critics, and the potential impact of the proliferation of online food opinions. Therefore, the correct answer is (D) inform the reader about the complexities of evaluating food quality and the implications of being a food critic.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: When we eat food, our perceptions of the flavors are highly subjective [#permalink]
I am little bit of confused between options c and d in the 3rd question. I do not understand where does the author talk about the need to block out all senses to experience the taste of the food as there also might be any other method to truly understand the true taste of the food. This point makes it difficult for me to rule out option c. Also the passage seems to be not suggesting that chefs, in particular, might resort to music to enhance the food taste for a diner.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts