Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:04 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i know several mba alums from Pepperdine and they seemed to enjoyed it there. One got a full ride based on his 720 GMAT (they are desperately trying to gain on the medians/means for their stats). I think you should also consider wehre you want to be after you grad. If the location of the school is on par with where you want to end up at, then I would look into that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have a cousin who works as an sports agent...sorry to say typically agents are actually lawyers since the contracts are full of legal jargon. He has a law degree from Yale and did a year long unpaid internship just to get his foot in the door. Its a tough thing to get into if, unless you are friends with some superstud who gets drafted really high and wants you to be there agent. There is also a trend of some kids using family members which seems silly but people dont want to give away tons of their money to someone else.

As long as you are willing to take a low level position with a team and work your way up then thats probably a better bet.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
RR is spot on. Agents largely come from 3 groups - lawyers, former athletes and family/friends. The two latter groups basically have the same advantage of access to the athletes. Lawyers have the advantage of understanding contracts as well as things like collective bargaining agreements, salary caps and related labor issues and formal training in negotiation.

Because of salary caps in various sports, many of the highest profile athletes have simply been hiring lawyers and paying a fee to negotiate their contracts because the contracts are largely dictated by collective bargaining agreements. Instead of paying some agent a percentage of the contract (payable up front) to negotiate the deal, they just have a lawyer review the details.

One area where a business background might help is in sports & entertainment marketing. For someone looking to get into the business of sports, marketing would probably be the most likely bet so you should probably search out the best marketing schools.

The best way to break in to be a peon (likely unpaid) for a while before you are able to establish yourself in the business. It's like this in many parts of the entertainment industry and sports is no different.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
lepium wrote:
The way I chose is:

go to the higher clustered school you can get into. If you have been admitted to more than 1 school in a particular cluster, then use other data (such as scholarships, location preferences, fit or whatever else) to choose.

I'm not too sure how you would cluster the schools that you have mentioned, but I would say: go to the best school (in terms of perceived prestige and quality and quantity of job opportunities) you got into, and if two or more of them are quite similar, then use other factors to choose.

Hope it helps. L.

well. I'm not a stud like everyone here, but Arizona is 59th full time by US news and 34th global mba full time by financial times. Pepperdine, TCU, Denver aren't in top 75 of either

Congrats!

Questin for you -

How do you see the US news rankings for schools past 50? I can only find the top 50 in US News? I'm curious to where some local schools near me rank. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
First, I would reccommend choosing a regional location, especially for the schools you are considering. The reputation of the schools that you will apply to is strongest within the state or region immediate surrounding. You are not applying to a nationally recognized program.

Second, you need to study the employment reports and talk to the career services office if stats are not available. Since you want to go into industry finance you want to choose a school who places a large percentage of students in this field. The placement statistics are also a good indication of the quality of the program in finance and/or the quality of the region for finding a industry finance job.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
amorica wrote:
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
lepium wrote:
The way I chose is:

go to the higher clustered school you can get into. If you have been admitted to more than 1 school in a particular cluster, then use other data (such as scholarships, location preferences, fit or whatever else) to choose.

I'm not too sure how you would cluster the schools that you have mentioned, but I would say: go to the best school (in terms of perceived prestige and quality and quantity of job opportunities) you got into, and if two or more of them are quite similar, then use other factors to choose.

Hope it helps. L.

well. I'm not a stud like everyone here, but Arizona is 59th full time by US news and 34th global mba full time by financial times. Pepperdine, TCU, Denver aren't in top 75 of either

Congrats!

Questin for you -

How do you see the US news rankings for schools past 50? I can only find the top 50 in US News? I'm curious to where some local schools near me rank. Thanks!

You have to buy the additional thing for like 12-15 dollars. It lists schools up to like 75 I think. It also give some more in depth info about the schools. Gtech is right behind University of Phoenix!

:-D :-D :-D
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]