Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:51 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1452 [2]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1452 [1]
Send PM
Re: A motorist passing through an unfamiliar city needs to fill her car's [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sgpk242 wrote:
Thank you MartyMurray. Can you comment on how you determined your approach to this problem as you were first reading it? I feel that the appearance of math in the question stem can be misleading. Thinking about this problem with a Verbal Reasoning strategy seems to make more sense.

­I agree.

So, at some point while reading the passage, I glanced at the answer choices. Then, having seen the choices, I was clearer regarding what I was going to have to do and read the passage in a more appropriate way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Re: A motorist passing through an unfamiliar city needs to fill her car's [#permalink]

MartyMurray wrote:
­A motorist passing through an unfamiliar city needs to fill her car's fuel tank soon, well before she leaves the city, and needs to minimize her expenses. Nearby is the King Petrol station, offering the correct fuel for 2.00 euroes per liter. She has seen about one petrol station ever 2 kilometers (km) of driving, on average, though distances vary. Prices at different petrol stations appear to vary randomly by up to 10%; roughly 2 km behind her in her journey she saw the correct fuel for 1.81 euros per liter. The fuel efficiency of her car under the current driving conditions is about 10 liters per 100 km. She could get a small amout of fuel at one station to allow her to drive to another station within the city.

On the basis of the information in the passage, select for "Reason to stop" the factor that most clearly provides a logical reason for the motorist to stop at the King Petrol station. And select for "Reason not to stop" the factor that most clearly provides a logical reason for the motorist not to stop at the King Petrol station. Make only two selections, one in each column.

Given what the passage says, we can get the impression that a reason for her to stop is to get a little fuel and that a reason for her not to stop is to hold out for a better price, but we'll see what the choices say.

Differences in prices between fuel in the city and in the surrounding area

Since the passage says that the motorist "needs to fill her car's fuel tank soon, well before she leaves the city," the difference between prices in the city and prices in the surrounding areas does not affect her decision. After all, she cannot wait for the prices in the surrounding areas.

So, this choice is irrelevant.

Eliminate.

The observed fuel prices

The passage says the following:

A motorist ... needs to minimize her expenses.

Nearby is the King Petrol station, offering the correct fuel for 2.00 euroes per liter.

Prices at different petrol stations appear to vary randomly by up to 10%; roughly 2 km behind her in her journey she saw the correct fuel for 1.81 euros per liter.

So, "the observed fuel prices" include the currently available price of 2.00 and other prices as low as around 1.80.

So, by waiting, she'll likely get a lower price within perhaps 2 to 10 kilometers.

Thus, the observed fuel prices indicate that not stopping could help her to "minimze her expenses."

Select for Reason not to stop.

Correct answer: The option of getting a small amount of fuelThe observed fuel prices­

Hi ­MartyMurray I need a llittle help to figure out between A and E in ''Reason not to stop''. 
Seems A & E say the same thing:

Stimulus says: ''needs to minimize her expenses'' 
If i have to minimize my expenses, then i will compare the available options such as 1.81 euros per liter price she saw few kilometers back: this is what (A) says

E says: 
The observed fuel pricesWhich includes all the prices she has seen. 

How is A diff from E?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM

ashutosh_73 wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
­A motorist passing through an unfamiliar city needs to fill her car's fuel tank soon, well before she leaves the city, and needs to minimize her expenses. Nearby is the King Petrol station, offering the correct fuel for 2.00 euroes per liter. She has seen about one petrol station ever 2 kilometers (km) of driving, on average, though distances vary. Prices at different petrol stations appear to vary randomly by up to 10%; roughly 2 km behind her in her journey she saw the correct fuel for 1.81 euros per liter. The fuel efficiency of her car under the current driving conditions is about 10 liters per 100 km. She could get a small amout of fuel at one station to allow her to drive to another station within the city.

On the basis of the information in the passage, select for "Reason to stop" the factor that most clearly provides a logical reason for the motorist to stop at the King Petrol station. And select for "Reason not to stop" the factor that most clearly provides a logical reason for the motorist not to stop at the King Petrol station. Make only two selections, one in each column.

Given what the passage says, we can get the impression that a reason for her to stop is to get a little fuel and that a reason for her not to stop is to hold out for a better price, but we'll see what the choices say.

Since the passage says that the motorist "needs to fill her car's fuel tank soon, well before she leaves the city," the difference between prices in the city and prices in the surrounding areas does not affect her decision. After all, she cannot wait for the prices in the surrounding areas.

So, this choice is irrelevant.

Eliminate.

The observed fuel prices

A motorist ... needs to minimize her expenses.

Nearby is the King Petrol station, offering the correct fuel for 2.00 euroes per liter.

Prices at different petrol stations appear to vary randomly by up to 10%; roughly 2 km behind her in her journey she saw the correct fuel for 1.81 euros per liter.

So, "the observed fuel prices" include the currently available price of 2.00 and other prices as low as around 1.80.

So, by waiting, she'll likely get a lower price within perhaps 2 to 10 kilometers.

Thus, the observed fuel prices indicate that not stopping could help her to "minimze her expenses."

Select for Reason not to stop.

Correct answer: The option of getting a small amount of fuelThe observed fuel prices­

Hi ­MartyMurray I need a llittle help to figure out between A and E in ''Reason not to stop''. 

If i have to minimize my expenses, then i will compare the available options such as 1.81 euros per liter price she saw few kilometers back: this is what (A) says

E says: 
The observed fuel pricesWhich includes all the prices she has seen. 

How is A diff from E?

­Hi,

By "A", I'm assuming you are referring to "Differences in prices between fuel in the city and in the surrounding area" option.

This option is relevant, but not so much, since it is stated that the driver needs to fill up "well before she leaves the city". 

Since she hasn't filled up yet, it can be inferred that she is still quite far away from the end border of the current city she's in/the starting border of the next nearby city, which, in other words, would be the "surrounding area". 

Hence, from the passage, it gives off the impression that whatever amount of fuel she has left in her tank seems to be insufficient to reach the next "surrounding area". If the "surrounding area" didn't refer to "nearby cities", then it wouldn't make sense for the OA to make a distinction between it and the "city". So, if she doesn't have enough fuel to travel to the next nearby city, it wouldn't make sense for her to consider the difference in prices. 

Therefore, the only reasonable option we have left for "reasons not to stop" would be "E". It is a given that she needs to fill up before she leaves the current city, and so the only reason why she wouldn't fill up at King Petrol Station would be if she was holding out to fill up at another nearby station that she expects to be cheaper. Given what she had observed, she knows that she could get it for roughly around 1.8 euros instead of the current 2 euros. It doesn't matter if this plan could backfire (e.g. if she observes a positive price change of 10% to 2.2, then to 2.42, etc) because the possibility of a lower price still gives her enough reason to hold out. Hence, because this decision is based on the observed prices in the city, option E is the correct one.

Sorry that the explanation is super lengthy!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1452 [0]
Send PM
A motorist passing through an unfamiliar city needs to fill her car's [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ashutosh_73 wrote:

Actually, (A) is a little different from what you just said,

Here's (A):

So, (A) is about a specific type of difference, that between prices in the city and prices outside the city.

A motorist passing through an unfamiliar city needs to fill her car's fuel tank ... well before she leaves the city

Since she needs to fill the tank "well before she leaves the city," the difference between prices in the city and prices outside the city doesn't matter.

So, (A) is irrelevant.
Quote:
 How is A diff from E?

Here's (E):

The observed fuel prices

Notice that "the observed fuel prices" includes prices in the city. So, the observed fuel prices indicate that, within the city, she may be able to purchase fuel for a lower price.

In fact, we can presume that, since the passage is about events that have occurred in the city, the price of $1.81 that she observed "roughly 2 km behind her in her journey" was in the city.­

So, the observed fuel prices are relevant to her decision making.
GMAT Club Bot
A motorist passing through an unfamiliar city needs to fill her car's [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
93015 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11187 posts