Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 04:17 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4691 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: IESE INSEAD IE HEC
Send PM
Re: Human resources director: In the past, mentorship at my company was in [#permalink]
Kudos
Seems like this question is assuming using personality test to match for a mentor is not random, which imo is a bit ambiguous.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
Send PM
Human resources director: In the past, mentorship at my company was in [#permalink]
sgpk242 wrote:
Human resources director:­ In the past, mentorship at my company was informal. But our new mentor program pairs an employee seeking mentorship with a manager or executive who has volunteered to mentor for a certain length of time. It has also been proposed that we use a personality test to better match employees with mentors, but I have decided against this, for in my judgement it would reduce participation in the program. 

Which of the following, if true, would provide the best justification for the human resources director's decision?

A - Employees at all levels are more likely to participate in mentoring programs if those programs are organized on a formal basis
B - Informal mentoring arrangements at the human resources director's company have helped many employees become more productive
C - A potential mentor is less likely to regard another employee as a competitor if that person has been randomly assigned to the mentor
D - Managers and executives are more likely to volunteer as mentors if they observe their peers doing so
E - Personality tests are required as part of the pre-employment screening process at the human resource director's company 

KarishmaB Requesting your take on this question. Even though I picked C but I am struggling to see a valid and strong reason to eliminate E.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Human resources director: In the past, mentorship at my company was in [#permalink]
Kudos
Jammy88 wrote:
I honestly struggle to understand this. I had chosen E but clearly got it wrong. Why is C the correct answer? I don’t get the logic behind this. Thank you

­Conclusion is : use a personality test is not feasible, due to lower participation.
So, we should foucs on how to strengthen this claim, C means that random assignment ---> less likely to be regarded as competitor ---> more participation.
If you think your student is one of a competitor of you, would you like to give him your lessons or some experience?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Mingyuan wrote:
Jammy88 wrote:
I honestly struggle to understand this. I had chosen E but clearly got it wrong. Why is C the correct answer? I don’t get the logic behind this. Thank you

­Conclusion is : use a personality test is not feasible, due to lower participation.
So, we should foucs on how to strengthen this claim, C means that random assignment ---> less likely to be regarded as competitor ---> more participation.
If you think your student is one of a competitor of you, would you like to give him your lessons or some experience?

That's exactly why I went with C. But I find E a strong option too. Would you like to share your reasoning for eliminating E ?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos

sayan640 wrote:
Mingyuan wrote:
Jammy88 wrote:

That's exactly why I went with C. But I find E a strong option too. Would you like to share your reasoning for eliminating E ?

­I think to solve this problem, we need to focus on the conclusion, focus on the relationship between using personality test for mentorship and participation. E is about this test and pre-employment screening process, so it is unrelated. 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
MartyMurray , Can you please provide your explanation for this question ?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
Human resources director: In the past, mentorship at my company was in [#permalink]
­Summary : HR is organizing a formal mentorship program ( earlier it was informal - i.e not organized formally ). But in it's ( programmes's ) current form HR Director rejected the idea of personality matching.

We have to find out the rationale behind our HR's decision :
What could be possible reason ?
It could be that people choose mentors with different personality cuz they can learn more about conflict resolution.
It could be that Mentors may not choose mentees with similar personality trait due to some psycological factors
etc. etc.
(we can home in on the ans if we can find a similar logic)

The Best option that matches this line of thinking is:

It could be that Mentors see Mentees with similar personality trait as competition. Option C Correct.

Jammy88 We can check the other options specially E

A - Employees at all levels are more likely to participate in mentoring programs if those programs are organized on a formal basis
we know that the process will be formal now, but it doesnot explain the HR's rational about personality matching
B - Informal mentoring arrangements at the human resources director's company have helped many employees become more productive
it provides support for informal mentorship, we are concerned with HR's rationale
D - Managers and executives are more likely to volunteer as mentors if they observe their peers doing so
It doesn't explain how personlaity matching will affect the participation ( it brings another dynamics into play )
E - Personality tests are required as part of the pre-employment screening process at the human resource director's company
That would mean we already have the test results from pre-employment screening , we may not need a new test and we can simply use the old test result for matching the Mentors and Mentees.
But why does the HR manager think that Personality matching part of the programme will reduce participation ?
HR is not judging wheather or not a personality test / re-test is needed. 
HR is judging wheather a personality matching is needed.
­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts