Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:26 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnny which model are you picking up? I got the x60 w/ bluetooth and neither xp nor vista offered me the turbo memory? my choice was the standard PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory chips?

For the others: would this standard memory with Vista be a good combo? I have a couple of friends who got it and have not had any issues
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
The X60 does not have issues. The problems are with the new models X61/T61/R61. These computers have the new Intel Santa Rosa chipset. Turbo memory is part of this chipset. Lenovo's factory software seems to have a conflict with the new chip set and/or turbo memory and/or Vista.

Computers with either XP or the older chipset (as the X60 has) should be problem free.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome, thanks for all the info guys.

Gmatmba - I'm getting the T61.

I actually chose the T61 because I know very little about computers and I read another post where Pelihu explained his reasons for selecting the T61, and I figured if someone who knows computers put a lot of time into researching various options and decided to go w/ the T61, then that would work for me. I suppose Pelihu should be getting a commission on my sale!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just to assure you, if you need any assurance, the T-serie is a good pick. It is a powerful workhorse. I was actually given one by the school, but decided to exchange for cash and get an X-serie instead (mobility is a key factor for me)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have the x61s with Vista for several days now and the only problem is the weak connection with the Intel Pro Wireless card. It drifts in and out of being connected even when I am close to a router. I've called Lenovo/IBM for service and they are sending a technician out on Monday to check it out.

I've had a lot of problems with technical support. All of Lenovo's technical support is by IBM in Atlanta and I am less than impressed with the staff. The hold times are many times longer than Dell in India and Dell technical people seem much more knowledgeable and consistent. IBM didn't even have my warranty information correctly each time insisting I have depot support when I purchased next business day on site support. It was a hassle just trying to change my wireless card.

I first reported my problem on Tuesday and I won't get a on site call until next Monday. I complained to a Lenovo supervisor and she gave me a 10% credit off the sales price. At least that will pay for an external optical drive.

Overall, I am very happy with the notebook; no heat problem, no Vista problem and no speed problem.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatmba wrote:
johnny which model are you picking up? I got the x60 w/ bluetooth and neither xp nor vista offered me the turbo memory? my choice was the standard PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory chips?

For the others: would this standard memory with Vista be a good combo? I have a couple of friends who got it and have not had any issues

You only see the Intel Tubo memory option when you choose >=1G of RAM. If you chose 512MB, you won't see that option. If you chose 512MB, make sure that you buy more RAM on your own since you are using Vista.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Johnny,.. I don't know if you've bought it already. But a new coupon came out, 10% savings I think. If you've bought it already, call Lenovo and ask for a reimbursement of the 10% :)
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
I hope I don't break any rules into this.
But try to check onto https://www.notebookreview.com
It's so helpful. I've been reasearching for quite some time as well, but I haven't bought since I do not need it yet.

That forum is like the gmatclub for laptops :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]