Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:29 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Should I Retake? 720 (Q: 51 V: 35) [#permalink]
HavoK_MAT wrote:
ugh... my mind is really bugging me out right now.
i just got a 720 yesterday which i AM happy with, don't get me wrong.

5) Ate Sausage / Egg Mc-Muffin with Orange Juice and Hashbrown on the morning of the test

It's gotta be the breakfast!!.. The score I got today was the exact opposite of yours 710(Q:45, V:41), and I had chinese meat bun for breakfast.

Next time I'll try to eat both a mcmuffin and a meat bun maybe i'll get a balanced score :evil:

BTW I was in the same situation as you 4 years ago when I gave my first GMAT(Q49, V36). I was having trouble with verbal at that time but it did not bother me that much since English isn't my first language. However, this time around, I found verbal to be less of a problem for me than math is. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I read a lot of technical documents(often boring and monotonous) at work so that the GMAT RC readings seem more manageable now. As for SC, I found going thru Kaplan GMAT 800 was helpful for me since it identifies all the tough tricks that GMAC commonly throws in this section. ..

anyways.. good luck to u if you decide to retake.. good luck to myself too :lol:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good man, I want to get into trading as well !!

Which schools are you looking at ?

HavoK_MAT wrote:
I'm a Korean, but born and raised in the US, yet currently working in a native Korean company in Korea (obviously). I'm in a global company as a programmer for the 3G mobile phone handset division. No, not Samsung, LG, hehe. Been here for 3 years, still have no clue what corporate life in America is like, but I'm sure it's much better than corporate Korea.

Graduated from RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) with a BS in Computer Science. GPA 3.4

hm... Extra-Curriculars, that's a tough one. I don't know if I can say this on my application, but I'm a proficient BlackJack card counter and have made quite a lot by going about once a week. Also i play computer games... i'm not one of those people you read about doing amazing things like solving rubix cubes in 10 seconds or anything. i guess i'm weak in that area. i used to make programs on my own time, but i'm getting really bored of this computer biz.

oh, also, i really want to get into Finance (Trading) so maybe verbal will have less of an impact?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'd say no, don't retake. You have a stellar Q and a decent V. The boost you can get from pushing your V is less important than the overall negative impression of "GMAT-obsessed" guy.

Leave GMAT alone, go work on other parts of your app.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agreed with the rest of the posters here - most top schools say their average is 710 and I think that means they accept a wide cluster of students whose GMAT is around that .. in your case spot-on :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Your Q is perfect and essays will display your ability to communicate in written english...so as long as you put together good essays then I wouldnt be worried about your V score. If it was the other way around it would be a tougher question to retake or not to.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks everybody for your encouragement.
i would like to be a regular on this forum because it seems like a very nice and healthy community.
it seems from this forum as well as other people i've asked that retaking would just be a waste of time and i have decided not to.

if anybody is having trouble with the quantitative section, i would be glad to help out with personal strategies i made up for different types of questions.

bsd_lover:
heya, a big part of my decision on schools is location as well as the program. the top 5 i would like to go to are
1) UC Berkeley
2) MIT
3) Harvard
4) UPenn
5) Cornell

how about yourself?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
HavoK_MAT wrote:
i would like to be a regular on this forum because it seems like a very nice and healthy community.
it seems from this forum as well as other people i've asked that retaking would just be a waste of time and i have decided not to.

if anybody is having trouble with the quantitative section, i would be glad to help out with personal strategies i made up for different types of questions.

bsd_lover:
heya, a big part of my decision on schools is location as well as the program. the top 5 i would like to go to are
1) UC Berkeley
2) MIT
3) Harvard
4) UPenn
5) Cornell

how about yourself?

Great score! Don't retake!

I will be coming to you for assistance with that Q 51!! :wink:

I am a really bad with the number property questions, I would like to see how you tackled these. Also really bad at probability and combinations.

I will be beginning my studying late August so hopefully you are still around..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
CONGRATS on the score. I wouldn't retake it again myself, and I definitely want to know how you got Q51. I got a Q50 on my GMATPrep, but I'm afraid stupid errors will drop that score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2919 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
when you show motivation in trading in your school essays, adcom will mainly look at your quantitative score.
You have nothing to worry about.
Just consider schools that are strong in finance (Columbia, NYS, Chicago, Wharton)
good luck
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
I figured that for Sales and trading I needed to get into a Finance heavy school. Initially I wanted to do an MFin from Princeton, however I gave up on that idea after they said my quant was "on the lower scale of acceptable". (I had a 48).

Now my main targets are :
Columbia - J-Term
Wharton
Chicago
MIT

In that order. Columbia J-Term because it starts early (and I want to start early). Wharton and Chicago because well.. they are finance powerhouses. MIT because I have always wanted to meet someone who's gone to MIT ;).

HavoK_MAT wrote:

bsd_lover:
1) UC Berkeley
2) MIT
3) Harvard
4) UPenn
5) Cornell

how about yourself?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
To be completely honest with you, I haven't really thought about the schools that much. I told myself to only start researching IFF I got a competitive GMAT score and gave myself a maximum of two times this year to take it. I didn't know whether I'd get a 400 or an 800 so I just kept a cool mind and took it. I guess now it's time to research which I will start within a few days (even though it was only 4 weeks, those 4 weeks of study was pretty intense) because I'd really like to take a little breather with the little free time I do have. For the list I posted, it was a pretty on-the-spot made up list mainly looking at locale and I guess, the rank... pretty superficial I know.

From your post and another post before, it seems I need to re-evaluate my target schools. How do you know if a school is a "finance powerhouse"? What is the best way to find out more about a specific school's strengths/weaknesses? Google? The school's website?[/quote]
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am just going by my own research and general reputation. Wharton is reputed to be the #1 school when it comes to finance teaching without doubt. Although recently University of Chicago has caught up in this department.

Columbia is great for networking and industry contacts because of its location.

The type of things I researched were general employment statistics, rankings in various web sites. Look into the business school information forums in GMAT club. They are very informative as well.

Good luck.

Remember selecting a school to aim at is very easy, getting in not so easy :)

HavoK_MAT wrote:
To be completely honest with you, I haven't really thought about the schools that much. I told myself to only start researching IFF I got a competitive GMAT score and gave myself a maximum of two times this year to take it. I didn't know whether I'd get a 400 or an 800 so I just kept a cool mind and took it. I guess now it's time to research which I will start within a few days (even though it was only 4 weeks, those 4 weeks of study was pretty intense) because I'd really like to take a little breather with the little free time I do have. For the list I posted, it was a pretty on-the-spot made up list mainly looking at locale and I guess, the rank... pretty superficial I know.

From your post and another post before, it seems I need to re-evaluate my target schools. How do you know if a school is a "finance powerhouse"? What is the best way to find out more about a specific school's strengths/weaknesses? Google? The school's website?
[/quote]
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
no

unless you can get to 760+ with very little effort (25 hours max)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
just got my official score report today!

5.0 on AWA!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2919 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
awesome!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the study insights!
I would not take it again if I were you. You got a magnificent score, my friend! Also, from an admissions standpoint, you mentioned you are Korean...the fact that you have minority status with that high of a score gives you a great shot at getting into one of your top choices. You even have great potential for scholarships at that level.
I mention this as your typical white boy married to a minority (Hispanic). In our undergrad, we had the same grades, yet she went through on scholarship and I'll be paying off student loans for some time! :lol:
Just present well on the essays and interviews...and avoid the blackjack scandals, i.e. I believe it was the MIT grads who got caught up in the card counting scandal in Atlantic City...Google it! I saw it on Dateline or 20/20 or something!
Great Job!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just for reference, Koreans are not really considered underrepresented minorities (for the purposes of bschool admissions) - certainly not to the extent that Hispanics are. Being a minority isn't enough, in fact it could hurt you (for example Chinese and Indian applicants have it tougher than your typical white boy). The key is whether or not your demographic is underrepresented.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts