Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:55 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Re: Grammer book [#permalink]
arian75 wrote:
which grammer reference book is best to use for SC.

I would recommend Manhattan SC books for grammar reference. Highly recommended.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
Manhattan SC book. Not too much grammar, but will allow you to study through all the pitfalls of GMAT Grammar.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
arian75 wrote:
which grammer reference book is best to use for SC.

depending on where you are starting from, Manhattan SC will bump your score. It is concise and gives you the strategies you need to do well.I recommend it but it may not get you past the 40V mark.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
on verbal [#permalink]
What do you think will get one past 40V?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Re: on verbal [#permalink]
snow wolf wrote:
What do you think will get one past 40V?

I'll let you know when I find it!!! I've scored past 40 on one or two third party CATs (800score and an ARCO) and I scored way past 40V on the two PowerPrep (but people say PP is "easy") but SC is still my weakness; generally the only questions I get wrong are SC. maybe one or two CR/RC.

I think Manhattan is a great book, don't get me wrong... but there are some subtle things that either I am not getting, or the book is not giving me. IMHO, I think hunkering down with any grammar book and really getting into it from the basics is what I need.

I bought the Powerscore book, which so far seems to be just that - a more in depth approach. Although I am a bit wary as I think have found a mistake in the book! a minor mistake, but in a grammar book, one would expect the grammar to be precise at all times!

They have a grammar review as one of the first chapters, and the section on indirect/direct objects tells us to "ask who or what received the direct object" "who received the verb" we should as "WHOM" received the verb, as the pronoun WHOM is an object case pronoun (I credit that knowledge to Manhattan SC)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I think the best GrammAr book out there is the Wren & Martin. I've heard good things about the Chicago Manual of Style but have never used it.

I've used the Wren & Martin and just want to say that the Manhattan GMAT SC book is a subset of it. No grammar book helps you analyze clauses and truely explain what each part of speech means the way Wren & Martin does.

By far the best grammar book I've seen. It's a reference book actually that most school kids in India might have used. Most Indian teachers would swear by it. The only downside is that it contains a few outdated expressions/rules.

You need to spend a good amount of time on it though. If you're taking your test within a month (assuming you're working full-time) then I recommend the Manhattan SC instead. You need to give it atleast a month and you will definitely see results.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you want to start with the basics, Strunk & White's Elements of Style is the standard. It's not going to teach you how to prepare for the GMAT, but it will help you build a solid foundation on which to learn.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks you all for the suggestions.I have heard that shrunk and white is a bible for english majors.Is it true?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's what I was assigned when I was an English major at UCLA.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
i got it when i was studying. it was helpful, and is good to have in general...although i havent cracked it open since :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]