Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:37 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is how I see it -

INSEAD
+ Low opportunity cost
+ Can b together
+ 10+2 month program
+ International Exposure
- Not that recognized in the US

Kellogg
+ Well know US based school
+ One of the M7 Schools with exceptional track records
+ 2Y Program with great ECA focus
- Cannot b together
- Higher opportunity cost
- 21 month program
+ Easier to get a job in the US!
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
I think INSEAD is a great school .. specially for MC. Considering that both of you have admits for the same session, I don't see why the two of you shouldn't go there.

I know that Kellogg may be a slightly better choice for someone who wants to work in US post MBA. But by going to INSEAD, the two of you will stay together and still get great career opportunities. INSEAD is a great great school. I think a lot of couples will kill to get what you are getting at INSEAD.

I don't think your hubby can gain so much by going to Kellogg (Over INSEAD) for you to make such a sacrifice. Due to the strange nature of the admit process, you can never be sure of your admission to the FT program at K or Chi. And a PT program there will be nowhere compared to the INSEAD FT for you.

Exactly :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Insead has one of the highest placements in the major MC firms. If thats the field he wants to go into it will be well known to the big three, McKinsey, Bain, and Boston Consulting. He probably stands a better chance at those than coming out of Kellogg by the numbers of students placed. Besides if you definitely want your MBA too then it makes sense to go to the same school if you both got in.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Finding management work in the US, if you graduate from INSEAD is relatively easy - if you join any MC in Europe, you can easily transfer to the US.

I do not find the need to join Kellogg just to get a job in the US justifiable. Granted it is a great school but if you husband just wants to go to Kellogg to get a job in US, it is not a good decision.

INSEAD is a great school, so I recommend that you convince your hubby to join that school (you join also), graduate, get jobs and transfer to US.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks every one for your input. We hope to take the decision in the next week or two. I will let you know what we finally decide.

Originally posted by mst on 28 Jul 2007, 20:06.
Last edited by mst on 29 Jul 2007, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you guys decide to not use your INSEAD admits, then please pass them on to me and my wife. I am willing to give you 20 points from my GMAT score in return.

Sidenote: Bah, how am I going to stay sane in this application process :(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
sm176811 wrote:
This is how I see it -
Kellogg
+ Well know US based school
+ One of the M7 Schools with exceptional track records

If I recall the M7 has been joined by 3 more schools (INSEAD being one) in their global career forum. Also agree with aviroop that if you want to get into MC in the US you can get a transfer to the US office for one of the big 3. Personally I would not choose to stay separately for bschool and would like to see you both at INSEAD, but I think its depends on what things are more important to you at this point in life ... must say its a tough decision you need to make!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Gmatmba, thanks for your opinion. Which campus will you be starting at?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In my humble opinion, it is an easy choice. GO TO INSEAD, not only because it is an excellent school and carries more brand equity than Kellogg outside USA but it would also suit your personal situation. Both of you are are already IN at INSEAD, it is less expensive, and it is consulting Mecca. Just to let you know, an extra year at USA- based B-school will cost you guys close to 95K (28K fees, living expenses of 22K plus savings from Post-INSEAD salary would be close to at least 45K). By the way, are you guys UAS PR or citizen. If so, use Wharton in P5

Originally posted by haddy74 on 30 Jul 2007, 07:48.
Last edited by haddy74 on 30 Jul 2007, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Personally I would go to INSEAD

It's a condensed program, arguably one of the best in the world, phenomenally strong within Europe and recognized by all the major consulting houses both in the US and abroad. Worst case, you take the McK or Bain job in Europe for a year and then transfer to the US. That extra year would just have been time you were at Kellogg anyway. I'll also say that even at the consulting firms I've worked at in the US, I've met several INSEAD people - admittedly the name doesn't have the same cachet here as it does there, but for those "that matter" (eg consulting firms, banks, management recruiters etc) its a name thats known. You might not get the same raised eyebrow if someone overhears you at Starbucks as you would with the Kellogg name, but otherwise, no real difference. The only tangible delta I can imagine is going to be the alumni network. INSEAD is going to be strong, but focused in Europe and Asia I would imagine, while Kellogg is comparatively going to be stronger in the US. Don't know that for a fact, just my instinct.

Also, maybe you can squeeze INSEAD for a little moolah? Get them to get you out of Kellogg with some cashola?

Let me also clarify the Kellogg PT to FT transfer option. It does not offer this "option", at least, not without a proper application. That is, its not just a question of filling out some paperwork and you transfer over (or else everyone would apply PT and then just switch, the odds are substantially higher PT - like 2x). You have to actually apply to the program and be admitted just like any other candidate. I know several PTers who are trying to make the switch this year.

As for PE - this is such a hard area to break into, I honestly think his odds are slim at either school. I wouldn't let this drive my decision either way.

Btw, congrats to you both, an enviable position indeed.

But one question... what do you want to do post MBA? Do you want to work in the US?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Looks like INSEAD is winning hands down.

Yeah, I also want to work in the US post MBA. Actually working outside the US might not really be an option if we want to maintain our green cards. I was planning to make use of Wharton exchange option to get a job in the Chicago area.

With him being in Kellogg and me in INSEAD, at least we had a back up in case I did not get a job in the US after my MBA.

As far as the cost of MBA is concerned, we won't really be saving a lot because we will still need to pay for the mortgage for our house in Chicago (and we don't have the option of renting it out for another year) and with the Euro-$ conversion, the tution fee at INSEAD is just another 16K less (actually 16K used to be a lot of money for me before I started applying for MBA :)). Also, I do not want him to regret later that he could not go to Kellogg.

But then, he will be out of the job force for only a year and we get to stay together (considering that we are living separately now also because of our jobs). And we will spend less on course books, since we can share them :)

So, this is what is making it so difficult for us to make a decision!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
You live separately now? You live in Chicago? Why have we not met for drinks?

WTF!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
mst wrote:
Gmatmba, thanks for your opinion. Which campus will you be starting at?

I am starting at Fontainebleau. By the way, if you folks are already living separately then I think the issue of staying together during the MBA program carries less weight for you...maybe...since its something you already do (gotta ask - how do you do it?? :)

Also, if both of you want to work in the USA and have GCs (that you cannot maintain if you work abroad) then that definitely complicates matter. In that case if your husband goes to Kellog you can try either Kellog PT (which in my opinion would be a better option) or try the INSEAD -> Wharton > chicago job thingy. Again really depends on your career aspirations as well as how important it is that you stay together.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:

WTF!

Yup, we live separately now and fly twice a month to meet each other. In that respect, INSEAD would be REALLY nice.

Yeah, I live in Chicago, actually close to Schaumburg right now. so yes, we should definitely meet up sometime
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
mst wrote:
rhyme wrote:

WTF!

Yup, we live separately now and fly twice a month to meet each other. In that respect, INSEAD would be REALLY nice.

Yeah, I live in Chicago, actually close to Schaumburg right now. so yes, we should definitely meet up sometime

Hey, I'm driving to Schaumburg tomorrow for my last day at work (exit interview and all that crap).... PM me if you are around.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
mst wrote:
with the Euro-$ conversion, the tution fee at INSEAD is just another 16K less (actually 16K used to be a lot of money for me before I started applying for MBA :)). !

Really...I thought that INSEAD fee was close to $66,500 whereas Kellogg fee for two year progam is close to $88,500....may be I was wrong...i used a factor of 1.37 for conversion.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
haddy74 wrote:
mst wrote:
with the Euro-$ conversion, the tution fee at INSEAD is just another 16K less (actually 16K used to be a lot of money for me before I started applying for MBA :)). !

Really...I thought that INSEAD fee was close to $66,500 whereas Kellogg fee for two year progam is close to $88,500....may be I was wrong...i used a factor of 1.37 for conversion.

The rate at which Euro is rising, I won't be surprised if the conversion rate goes up to 1.45 by the end of the year! I recently made my initial deposit using Xetrade, and the rate that was used that day was 1.39. Citibank and other banks were quoting in the range 1.41-1.43. So, I was just using a conservative rate of 1.45 for the year end and the next year.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2