Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:54 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey Startup Addict. Your scores look VERY good. Just remember to relax the day before the test and clear your mind a bit, otherwise you risk burnout during the test. When is the test?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
hey Startup Addict. Your scores look VERY good. Just remember to relax the day before the test and clear your mind a bit, otherwise you risk burnout during the test. When is the test?

Thanks. Yeah, I realize that :-) I looked over that 730 PP I did the other day, and had I been more awake and alert, I would have gotten only maybe 2 math, and 3 verbal wrong. (instead of 5/7 or whatever).

Did 82 DS questions today from OG10, and 10PS, along with about 20SC, so about 100 questions total today. I didn't do a CAT or test today, taking it easy.

Looking at doing 160 DS tomorrow + 100 PS tomorrow, then a CAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah... so I'm never doing a McGraw Hill CAT again. I just did CAT 6, and got 700 (?!). Got 8 wrong on math (upon checking my answers, *4* of THEIR answers were WRONG!), and got 4 wrong on verbal, 2 SC, 1 RC, 1 CR. The CR is disagree with (their argument is extremely weak), the 2 SC were hard, but that's ok, and the RC was tough. So I got 3 wrong.

But overall very weak prep. Difficulty didn't scale, score isn't accurate (37/41 usually is a 46-47V+ which is 99th percentile +).

I'm never touching a POS McGraw Hill CAT again. How is Kaplan's? Same thing (no scaling, no Q/V scores, etc?).

GRRRR!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
try MGMAT CAT... avoid Kaplan (you'll get 500-600's on your scores) and Princeton Review (math too easy, same problems with CR/RC as McGraw Hill).

And don't take a CAT *after* you do 260 math problems... your score will be much lower than what it could be.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hah, I know. How does MGMAT compare to the real thing?
I like the GMAT Prep.

I did about 100 DS, 20 SC today, plus a GMATPrep.

Oy, doing 120 math problems followed by a CAT rapes you!!!!!!! My brain hurts so bad now. I did well though!

GMATPrep: 760 (99th)
Quant: 50 (95th) , 29/37
Verbal: 44 (97th), 33/41

I got 8 wrong on Quant, and 8 wrong on Verbal. On verbal I got 1CR, 1RC wrong; but 6 freaking SC!!!!!!! GAH. MAN was it BRUTAL. I should only get 1-2 SC wrong, damn it. The difficulty got ridiculous. I got the first 12 right on math, then got 6 out of the last 10 wrong (time/brain stopped working!!!!!!). I got some ridiculous questions. Verbal was OK, surprisingly I did OK on the RC....

Next up: DS/PS, focusing on Venn diagrams, circle geometry, and DS word problems (I HATE those).

And more SC!!!!!!!! GAH. Back to work......
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good work! Looks like you got the same score on verbal I got the first GMATPrep. 1 wrong in RC and CR, and 6 in SC. Too bad my real test verbal was only 41.

If you can get 760 after 120 questions, I think you're ready for the real test... unless you're aiming for 800 ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Send PM
Re: StartupAddict's GMAT Journal [#permalink]
StartupAddict, Where can i get the powerprep and the gmat paper tests?

StartupAddict wrote:
I'm starting a little journal here to keep track of my progress :-)

GMAT Goal: 50+ Q, 45+ V, GMAT 770+

My GPA is ridiculously low (2.8), which in actuality is a great GPA from my program & school (joint computer science/ combinatorics&optimization), but still need to do better :-) Plus GMAT is fun (hah).

So I've done a few tests. I did a Kaplan once, and got 600, about 3 months ago, and felt like a huge idiot, so I've been doing some studying here and there.

Here are some tests I've done so far:

GMAT Paper Tests:
#28 - 730 (50Q,41V)
#31 - 690 (48Q,36V)
#37 - 700 (49Q,38V)
#42 - 650 (48Q,34V)
#52 - 720 (49Q,39V)
#55 - 770 (51Q,45V) (after studying SC)

These are the most recent CAT tests I've done:

GMATPrep2: 740 (47Q,45V), 12 Q wrong, 5 V wrong.
GMATPrep1: 750 (49Q,42V), 10 Q wrong, 8 V wrong.
PowerPrep1: 740 (46Q,46V), 7Q wrong, 6V wrong (3RC,2SC,1CR).

(Note - I kept running out of time at the end for Quant, so I have to improve my speed).

Books completed:

GMAT for Dummies (good introduction)
Kaplan (OK - good tricks, good for beginners)
Barrons (useless, terrible answers)
McGraw Hill (good intermediate book, some mistakes in the questions)

Analysis:

Verbal is good, can always improve more. Have to increase my mental endurance, I usually space out during RC's and can't make sense of anything in the ridiculously hard passages!

Quantitative is good, I just overthink questions and spend too much time trying to solve them in complicated ways, when there are much easier ways to do questions. I have to do a lot of Quant questions to increase my speed in order to lock in a 50+ Q.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
 Q51  V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
S. Addict:

Did you try to finish the paper test exams within the suggested 25 mins per section guideline?

I took the Test # 31 verbal alone recently. I scored about 40-41(14/18 RC, 19/22 SC, 13/16 CR). But I took about 30-35 minutes for each section.

I was wondering whether my score looks bloated because of the extra time I took.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes. You have to time yourself strictly. Remember, on the real test you'd run out of time, and probably only answer 2/3 of the questions.... hence your score would be a lot lower. Also, when you calculate your score, you have to subtract X/4 where X is the # you got wrong, so your score would have been a 44 raw, which scales to a 39V not a 40-41. Those old tests are retarded, the material doesn't get hard, you just have to be fast.

Also did another GMATPrep2 today, got 760, 50Q/44V.. 8&8 wrong -- WTF! Dejavu. That's identical to what I got on the GMATPrep1... also today was TERRIBLE - I couldn't think as I wasn't in the zone.... I got 1 math question wrong in the first 24, then i got 7 wrong in the last 13 as I ran out of time...... wtf? Verbal was terrible... I got 5-6 **** SC wrong again GRRRRRRR
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mate, I think its time to focus on mental preparedness for the test. I reckon if you think clearly and perform at your best during the test, you will totally ace it (760+). Frankly there is not much difference after you cross 750. You will be in the 99th percentile.

Good luck.
ps. I'd be rooting for ya. I loved combinatorics when I did Comp Sci :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks man. But my average is really bad.. my GPA is a 2.7 now, so I need to get really high on the GMAT :)

Good point -- I don't know how to improve mental prepardness! I need speed or something..... I know by the time I get to verbal my brain is much, I can't concentrate...... I read something once, twice, even three times and it still doesn't register..... like when I do a few questions, I get them fine, but when I do it I can't concentrate, I have to keep motivating myself to keep the speed up.... any tips for prepping yourself for doing 2.5 hours nonstop? I also don't do essays........... this may even tire me out more :O
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
generally the more full CATs you do with AWA, you brain should get more trained (like lifting weights or running)... but if that's not happening... I actually don't know what to suggest... sorry. :?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey have a look at my debrief. Especially the bits on mental preparation.

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=47351

I haven't found many more 'guides' to this on gmat club yet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks BSDLover :-) I think you just need to eat and do as many CAT's as possible. I think I'm going to start doing essays soon to build more mental stamina.

I have to do more Quant stuff so I'm faster & better at it.

Anyways, I just did another CAT:

PowerPrep1
Score: 780
Quant: 50 (2 wrong)
Verbal: 49 (3 wrong)

I'm still paranoid and need to do way more Quant along with SC......
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Question... are you repeating GMATPrep and PowerPrep tests? how many repeat questions do you see?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
 Q51  V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
StartupAddict wrote:
Thanks BSDLover :-) I think you just need to eat and do as many CAT's as possible. I think I'm going to start doing essays soon to build more mental stamina.

I have to do more Quant stuff so I'm faster & better at it.

Anyways, I just did another CAT:

PowerPrep1
Score: 780
Quant: 50 (2 wrong)
Verbal: 49 (3 wrong)

I'm still paranoid and need to do way more Quant along with SC......

Somehow I dont feel inspired... I feel guilty :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Question... are you repeating GMATPrep and PowerPrep tests? how many repeat questions do you see?

Yes, although I did them a while ago. I saw maybe 2 repeats I remembered on Quant, and even then I didn't remember the answer so I had to work through it again. I do about 100-150 questions a day, and I rarely remember questions I did the day before. Verbal I saw 2-3 repeats and 1 passage repeated. There are more repeats on PP than on GMATPrep, I know when I repeat a GMATPrep I see completely new questions.

I don't know what else to do. I don't trust the books, but GMAC only gives out PP/GMATprep....... I guess I'll do a MGMAT or a Kaplan tomorrow.

The main thing I worry about is stamina........ it's that mushy brain feeling after doing Quant........ nothing makes sense on Verbal, its weird, I read a question but I can't make it out, but I guess subconciously I can still make out the answer :-) I 'feel' answers... haha..... as dumb as it sounds
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   5   6