Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:30 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
a3d , dont lose your heart. Such things happen. I too faced a similar fate yesterday with the GMAT. Screwed up up in verbal ;)
To which schools are you plannig to apply?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
if I could call it a day and get a 680 with a Q score, I'd take it. In fact, I won't admit in public what I'd do for that, or my political career would be dust.

Just an off day. Lots of room to work on the verbal.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats on finishing the first one with a GOOD score! 680 is nothing to sneeze at. Just because other GMATClubbers got higher scores doesn't mean your 680 is a bad score, not at all!

You seem to have done everything right, but maybe just got bad luck with a few guesses here and there and maybe a few tougher questions... It seems like if you take it again in 31 days, with some minimal practice in the last 2 weeks you should be ok? Just a thought.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
 Q51  V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guyz... I think this "dreadful" Indian IT pool is just a bit overplayed. I bet there are as many "equally dreadful" american IBs in the applicant population as us.

680 is no where near a bad score to fret and fume about. You would have been happy with 680 if you didnt join GMATCLUB. You probably would not have got 680 without GMATCLUB. But that story is irrelevant now ;)

All the best with your apps and/or your second attempt!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
a3d,
First, 680 is a great score. It is definitely in the 80% range for all top schools out there. Nothing against gmatclubbers but I do feel like we tend to over emphasize the importance of the GMAT score here, forgetting that GMAT score can simply put you on the map but will not get you in.
That said, I believe that how you sell yourself and differentiate your pitch from other candidates is equally if not more important than your GMAT score.
So what that you are in the "dreaded" Indian IT pool? It's how you are different from the applicants whom you are competing with what really matters. I think a lot of applicants get stuck with the notion that the higher GMAT score will really make them stand out. Well, this is NOT the case with the demographic group that already has the highest GMAT scores out there.
Think about what you've done that makes you truly unique. Are you involved in competitive bungee jumping? Have you traveled to Africa to save the children? Or maybe you've won the best dresser in town award? These are all over-exaggerated examples but I'm just trying to make the point that putting something different in your application would definitely make you stand out among the thousands of people trying to get into the same school. Meanwhile, getting a higher GMAT score will not differentiate you at all. You will be just another Indian applicant with a high GMAT score. :)
Good luck with your applications. Get some rest and get on the essays!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
 Q51  V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
>> Meanwhile, getting a higher GMAT score will not differentiate you at all. You will be just another Indian applicant with a high GMAT score. Smile

nervous... Well said!!! You rock!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks guys. Nervous gmat - well said - I agree. It's ironic that we fall into such stereo types when from little I can glean, b-schools are looking for exact opposites probably, differentiators of the group.

Kryzak, I will keep what you said in mind, I know by V/Q breakup is not balanced. Once I come back from my work trip through next week, will have to see if I can take my chances, for now I just need a break.

As for which school, thats a great question that I am starting to ask myself :) I had an anxiety attack when just before going to test I realized I need five school to send scores to. I need to do some research to understand whats out there except the standard big names we all know of W/H/S - the usual long shots. The tricky part for me I think is really going to be to think through this, because if I were to come back to same company I am at with MBA, I'd start at lower level then where I am already ( I am 30Y old, with MS degree and 8 yrs work ex after that). The exorbitant amount of financial compromise I will have to make, has to be hedged against more that the fact that I just need time off from corporate slogging!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
well said nervousgmat [#permalink]
i am in absolute agreement with what nervousgmat had 2 say. 680 by any means is not a bad score. I think GMAT score is bit of hygiene factor in admissions(management graduates will understand what m sayin here). I mean a pretty bad score will definitely get u out of the running in top schools admissions race but a high score doesent do u much good other than maybe the adcoms lookin at ur essays more attentively. I think 680 is not a score which gets someone out of the running. If u look at the middle 80% range of all top b schools it will range from 640-750. So I guess if u have a 680 it does not out u out of the race. Its right that GMAT is a bit overrated here at GMATCLUB so my only advice wud b not 2 lose hope with a 680 score. It just means that like everyone (even someone who has a 800) has to work hard on the essays n differentiate urself from the rest of the applicants!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well if firsty ou don't succeed, try try again
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
CAT you recommend [#permalink]
besides MGMAT cAT ..... would you recoment kaplan or other CATs?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
no, i would not recommend Kaplan nor Princeton Review CATs. I don't know how the other ones are, but I only used GMATPrep, PowerPrep, and MGMAT CATs
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts