Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:31 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2919 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: Some archaeologists claim that the tablets found at Ebla could force [#permalink]
Kudos
bmwhype2 wrote:
977. Some archaeologists claim that the tablets found at Ebla could force a revision of current theories on the origins of Judaism and Christianity, alter many scriptural interpretations, make all current Bible translations obsolete, and scholars may be required to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy.

(A) scholars may be required to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy ---> not || - should start with verb, doesn't make sense at all - could force...., alter.....,make....., and scholars...?
(B) crediting the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy may be required of scholars ---> not || - should start with "require" , doesn't make sense either
(C) require that scholars are to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy ---> not ||, 1st 6 words are akward construction
(D) crediting the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy may be a scholarly requirement ---> not || - should start with "require" , doesn't make sense either
(E) require scholars to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy ----> Correct - is ||, idiomatic

Please explain why an asnwer is wrong.

How I dream to finish 1000SC ....I envy you :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Some archaeologists claim that the tablets found at Ebla could force [#permalink]
botirvoy wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
977. Some archaeologists claim that the tablets found at Ebla could force a revision of current theories on the origins of Judaism and Christianity, alter many scriptural interpretations, make all current Bible translations obsolete, and scholars may be required to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy.

(A) scholars may be required to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy ---> not || - should start with verb, doesn't make sense at all - could force...., alter.....,make....., and scholars...?
(B) crediting the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy may be required of scholars ---> not || - should start with "require" , doesn't make sense either
(C) require that scholars are to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy ---> not ||, 1st 6 words are akward construction
(D) crediting the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy may be a scholarly requirement ---> not || - should start with "require" , doesn't make sense either
(E) require scholars to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy ----> Correct - is ||, idiomatic

How I dream to finish 1000SC ....I envy you :)

I did cursory preparation of SC1000. I'm doing this for the second time, learning all the concepts inside out, posting the questions on GMATClub that were not previously posted.

OA is E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I read in one of the Manhattan Review guides that command verbs like require need "that" after them.

So I choose C or E.

Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Send PM
tgalligan wrote:
I read in one of the Manhattan Review guides that command verbs like require need "that" after them.

So I choose C or E.

Any thoughts?

Some archaeologists claim that the tablets found at Ebla could force a revision of current theories on the origins of Judaism and Christianity, alter many scriptural interpretations, make all current Bible translations obsolete, and scholars may be required to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy.

What if and wasn't there. Would option A still be wrong?
I mean, why not we can treat and scholars may be required to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy.
this as a seperate clause without complying to the requirements of parallelism?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
bmwhype2 wrote:

(A) scholars may be required to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy
(B) crediting the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy may be required of scholars
(C) require that scholars are to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy
(D) crediting the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy may be a scholarly requirement
(E) require scholars to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy

I say E.

Follow ||ism: could "force", alter, make, and scholars?/crediting? No

require? yes.

Now btwn C and E. since that is not used in the original "could force" I dont see why we should use it here. are to is unnessicary "to credit" is just fine and less wordy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 975 [0]
Send PM
bmwhype2 wrote:

(A) scholars may be required to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy
(B) crediting the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy may be required of scholars
(C) require that scholars are to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy
(D) crediting the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy may be a scholarly requirement
(E) require scholars to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy

I pick E straight off the bat. '....could force, alter, make and require...'
Parallelism is maintained by E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 975 [0]
Send PM
tgalligan wrote:

So I choose C or E.

Any thoughts?

I would say that don't make that a rule of thumb; it depends on the context of the rest of the sentence. In this case, we are not using 'require' as a command verb, we are simply stating a requirement :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Send PM
E looks alright, but I am not sure how we can remove the uncertainty part mentioned in the original sentence "scholars may be required"....

Any thoughts!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
A,B, D --- not parallel

between C & E

C - it's wordy but contains obvious error ---->subjunctive command
''require'' is a bossy verb. If used with ''that'' construction ---then the construction requires subjunctive verb (i.e. infinitive form of credit without ''to'')

...... requires that scholars (are to) credit ......

E- parallel, concise, error-free
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1324 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
bmwhype2 wrote:
GMAT Paper Test (Test Code 55), 1996

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 4
Page: 22

Some archaeologists claim that the tablets found at Ebla could force a revision of current theories on the origins of Judaism and Christianity, alter many scriptural interpretations, make all current Bible translations obsolete, and scholars may be required to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy.

Main Issues:

1) Parallelism: It's a list of 4 verbs. "force", "alter" and "make" would require another verb "require".
2) Subjunctive vs Infinite Verb: "Require" takes both verbs.

(A) scholars may be required to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy - Wrong: Parallelism

(B) crediting the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy may be required of scholars - Wrong: Parallelism

(C) require that scholars are to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy - Wrong: Verb. Since "require" is being used in a subjunctive manner (i.e. require that), it requires "scholars credit".

(D) crediting the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy may be a scholarly requirement - Wrong: Parallelism

(E) require scholars to credit the Old Testament with greater historical accuracy - Correct. Parallel and correct use of infinitive verb.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts