Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:32 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
entranced,

You beat me at verbal :) Great job!

A grueling essay writing process awaits you :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I see the manhattan review books are part of the 300 hundred hour plan..did you use them?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello all,

Thank you for your kind words -- it's nice to have such a supportive environment even though so many of us could potentially be in direct competition with each other. I just got my official score report -- my AWA was a 6, so I'm quite happy. I'm currently trying to plan out my school/program visitations. I forgot to mention that I took about a week in August to write ALL my essays. I wanted my recommenders (3 recommenders split amongst 7 schools) to have all my essays available to aid with the letter writing process. While it was a grueling week (about 12,000 words give or take), I'm happy to report that that preparation put me in a good position on this home stretch. I'm tapping pretty high up individuals that I've had significant experience working with, but given their high up positions on the totem pole, I wanted to make sure they took my efforts seriously.

I wrote all my essays as well as a general statement of purpose. I also included some letter writing guides as well as some general "stuff I'd like to emphasize" information. Of course, I also included the deadlines. I then printed everything out on really nice paper. In addition, I purchased some 1 gig flash drive/laser pointer/pen combo thingees (technical term =) and loaded an electronic version of the document (one big document with a clickable table of contents) for easier searching. The document itself was pretty small, but I wanted to purchase at least 1 gig drives so they would have something practical to use going forward.

You know though, I'm kind of left wondering whether schools look closely at the breakdown in your GMAT score as mine is a little unusual (and hopefully will indicate that I'm well balanced).

My best to everyone .... I will try to post chronological practice test scores soon.

Oh and regarding the Manhattan Review books, this is my opinion:

I'm a bit on the ropes about the Manhattan Review books. I think they provide good practice but I must comment that the verbal sections, especially the RC, are quite difficult. In fact, they were a bit frustrating at times. However, during prep time, it's often better to err on the side of greater difficulty. One thing that I will say about the books though is that there were more than a handful of times that answers were incorrect. Either they were printed incorrectly, had incorrect reasoning, etc. In fact, I have relayed some of this information back to gmattutor.com as well as to the friendly folks at Manhattan Review.

Lastly, even though purchasing the 4 books (verbal questions & solution guide, quant. questions & solution guide) gets you access to 4 online CATs, these CATs leave me a little unsatisfied. They don't have an automated registration process, so you have to fill out a form with your purchase information and send it off to the company and wait 3-4 days for your CAT codes. I also wasn't very satisfied with the accuracy of their tests. The quantitative was easier in some parts and totally irrelevant in other parts (they have a strong emphasis on graph reading and interpretation, which I didn't see at all on the GMAT). Furthermore, the verbal section was quite a bit more difficult than the actual test. But, for me, since I was just using practice tests at the end to build up my mental endurance, they were still worth my time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
you wrote all your essays in a week and that too during your GMAT preparation ??
This is quite an excellent job. You have made essay wirting process look so simple !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Entranced,
Enjoyed your debrief a lot. Your words on staying positive make a lot of sense. I'll be taking the test at the same center as you :wink: Hoping to get a score in the 7XX range as well.

Good luck with your applications.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts