Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [34]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Guide to Recruiting and Schmoozing - Part 2 - What to wear [#permalink]
Thanks,
Per usual your writing is a pleasure to read. The next time I put a tie on I'm sure "failure is not an option," will run through my head. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
wow, this is unbelievably useful. Thank you for putting this together. I am a big fan of this series, already.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Another great guide, thanks kindly.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
thanks pelihu.

Everyone, this may be a good time to use the print view feature in GMAT Club.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Great thread!

I went to Stern undergrad and they made a pretty good point of teaching us all this stuff during orientation. The one difference was that they said black suits are okay, but admitted that this is pretty much only the case in New York! I thought that was funny. Regardless, I'm not a fan of black suits unless they have a very subdued pin stripe.

It's amazing how many people mess up the basics even after instruction.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
great post Peli!

BTW, for an interview event at a school (for those of us not accepted yet), would a very dark brown (black under dim lighting) wool single/thin pinstripe suit work? Just got one that looks nice, and wanted to see if it's ok to wear to an interview event that says "business attire".

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
 Q50  V51
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
great post Peli!

BTW, for an interview event at a school (for those of us not accepted yet), would a very dark brown (black under dim lighting) wool single/thin pinstripe suit work? Just got one that looks nice, and wanted to see if it's ok to wear to an interview event that says "business attire".

Thanks!

Personally, I think you're taking a risk if you go with brown. For many of these rules, some recruiters may not care, and some may not even know the rules, but my theory is why risk it? You don't want to be sitting around wondering why you weren't invited to dinner and thinking 'maybe I shouldn't have worn that last time...'.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
1. So is golf a normal recruiting event?

I was going to ask my dad to teach me golf over the summer and I might push it harder if it is a common recruiting activity?

2. Also, how would a really dark charcoal suit work? I have a charcoal suit that looks black from a good distance, but when you get close, you can see that it's charcoal.... almost a faded black.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the great information Pelihu. This is all invaluable information.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
gmatclb wrote:

I was going to ask my dad to teach me golf over the summer and I might push it harder if it is a common recruiting activity?

2. Also, how would a really dark charcoal suit work? I have a charcoal suit that looks black from a good distance, but when you get close, you can see that it's charcoal.... almost a faded black.

i second the first question! (if that makes any sense). I'm a very good tennis player - should I bother adding golf to my list of sports??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
Personally, I think you're taking a risk if you go with brown. For many of these rules, some recruiters may not care, and some may not even know the rules, but my theory is why risk it? You don't want to be sitting around wondering why you weren't invited to dinner and thinking 'maybe I shouldn't have worn that last time...'.

Oh I meant for b-school interviews, not for companies, sorry about the confusion. Based on your own experiences or observations, does it really matter what type of suit you wear to a b-school interview (admissions interview)? It's very dark brown, close to black if you ask me.

Just wondering if that changes anything. Thanks again Pelihu!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
I'm guessing this is applicable to the USA?

For example, in Japan, Black suits is the norm. Almost everyone has black suits, anything which isn't black tends to stand out.

Also for countries in warmer climates, I'm guessing they will be different too?

In terms of buying suits... I went to Vietnam, and managed to get 4 Cashmere Wool Tailored suits and 7 silk shirts for ~ $300 USD. Much cheaper than getting them done in Japan (or the USA or UK) and that includes the cost of the flight !!! (that's a tip folks).

So if you're in Thailand or Vietnam, or plan to visit those countries, i highly recommend getting your suits then.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Also curious about the golf question... want to know if I need to dust off those clubs..

Thanks in Advance!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
yup, I definitely need to visit Thailand and Vietnam in my Asia trip this spring and get myself the navy blue, charcoal gray and other suits.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
It's always important what you wear, but be aware that bankers are notorious for being WAY more obsessive over what they (and those they interview) are wearing than those in other industries.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
gmatclb wrote:

<snip>

Hi,
I leave assessing the importance of golf in the recruiting process to Pelihu but I will suggest this: professional lessons. You will excuse me if your dad is a teaching pro, but few people have the skill to impart the fundamentals of golf in rapid order. If you plan to play golf in the company of folks who are sizing you up to hire you (and play well enough to seem relaxed, confident, and possibly jovial) the golf pro is your friend. Don't get me wrong, golf is great fun. I went from laughing at the very idea to obsessed almost overnight. Few things are more satisfying than a well struck golf shot. On the other hand, standing over the ball with a blank mind hoping not to embarrass yourself in front of your colleagues... take some lessons with a pro, get properly fitted and then ask your dad to play golf with you. If he is an avid golfer it will likely stand your relationship in good stead. The practice will also be good for your game.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [1]
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Kudos
For business school interviews, a brown suit would probably be OK. I didn't get the sense that admissions people cared at all.

As far as golf, it's not a huge factor in firm recruiting, but it's a good skill that can come in handy. Things are probably a little different at Darden because of the setting. We are surrounded by country clubs, and even non-golf recruiting events are often hosted at country clubs. We had a poker night at a country club, numerous cocktail hours and even several sit-down dinners - all hosted at country clubs. We only had one actual golf event - and even for that event students had the option of golf or dinner. Those that selected dinner had a standard recruiting experience. Those that selected golf got to spend quality time with several firm officers of the bulge bracket bank, including a C-level exec. The few that were the better golfers got to spend about an hour with the top-level exec (a guy who makes decisions) after everyone else went in.

But generally, I think it will depend on your location as to whether golf will be useful or not. There are probably a lot of other things that you might want to focus in if you're heading to business school in a year; golf is a fun activity that you can practice in your free time.

Regarding what you wear, yes I agree that bankers are probably the most obsessive about what people wear to interviews. Other businesses vary quite a bit, and you'll have to judge for yourselves, however I would still recommend wearing a business suit to almost any interview.

One more thing I forgot to mention about ties - a tie should be long enough so the tip touches your belt while you are standing relaxed. If you tie your tie too short and only runs part-way down your belly, it make you look like a clown. If your tie is too long, it looks silly like a codpiece and becomes totally unmanageable when you sit down. Also, I didn't think to mention it because it should be pretty obvious, but don't wear skinny ties or fish ties or ties with ridiculous logos.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4