Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:20 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink]
shanhaque wrote:
Well I have already applied to Chicago GSB, but I want to still just throw out an application to Kellogg for R3. The score first started out as a 510, then quickly moved up the 640, then just to make it in time for a deadline I tried to take it again but I didn't accept my score.

Well, you have room for improvement. If it was me I would study hard for a few weeks and retake the test.

Unless you have a stellar profile, odds are against you with a 640 and applying to Kellogg in R3.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just to be sure, Kellogg won't look poorly on the fact that I have taken it 4 times?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
shanhaque wrote:
Just to be sure, Kellogg won't look poorly on the fact that I have taken it 4 times?

IMHO, applying with a 640 is much worse than applying with a 700+ (after having taking the gmat 4 times).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I don't know about Northwestern, but don't some schools only ask you to report your highest? So they may not even know you took the test 4 times...

Is this correct?

I hope so because I got a 710, but I am going to retake and try to improve up to around 730-750...

Thanks!

~Sam
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
I don't know about Northwestern, but don't some schools only ask you to report your highest? So they may not even know you took the test 4 times...

Is this correct?

I hope so because I got a 710, but I am going to retake and try to improve up to around 730-750...

Thanks!

~Sam

I think that schools can still see your historical scores. Adcoms may wonder why you wanted to retake the gmat after a 710 instead of prioritize another part of your application (polishing essays, EC's, etc...). That is a good enough score at all schools.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Taking it 4 is not really that bad. I am never a fan of the idea of canceling a score. A lot of folks thing they were doing terrible and ended up scoring very well. Thinking you are doing bad probably means you are getting harder questions.

There are people who take it a lot of times and get into top schools. If a school wants you they generally wont care. You can always self report your score since they only want the high and if admitted send them your official score...if the schools allow that.

I hate to say it but chances when you are at the bottom of the 80% range are nearly impossible at top schools. The people that get in with those scores have something far more impressive that the adcoms want than a score. If you happen to fall into a fairly common and competitve demographic a low GMAT can definitely ruin any chance. Now if you are a minority female with a very interesting story it might be a lot easier no matter the score.

Retaking with a 700+ is a double edge sword. If you are 100% sure you can improve 30+ points go for it unless you are at the 740+ range then its probably a waste of time unless you have nothing better to do. I know several members on here retoook with 720+ scores and jumped up 30+ points and managed to get into top schools. Not saying that they wouldnt have gotten in with a 720 or 730 but it obviously didnt hurt them. If you arent applying until next year and know you can bring it up into the 740+ range, I dont see the harm in it. If you are trying to apply this year then dont waste the effort...
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I am going to be applying next fall for Fall '09. I have some extra time, and between my extracurriculars, I think I can raise my score another 20-40 points.

The way I look at it is... if I don't retake it, and then get dinged, I will wonder if it would have made a difference. Retaking it one more time is my way of both convincing myself that I am putting my best score out there, and making sure my candidacy is the best I feel it can be.

When I got a 710, I felt I underperformed, so for me at least, it's worth the peace of mind...

~Sam
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
I am going to be applying next fall for Fall '09. I have some extra time, and between my extracurriculars, I think I can raise my score another 20-40 points.

The way I look at it is... if I don't retake it, and then get dinged, I will wonder if it would have made a difference. Retaking it one more time is my way of both convincing myself that I am putting my best score out there, and making sure my candidacy is the best I feel it can be.

When I got a 710, I felt I underperformed, so for me at least, it's worth the peace of mind...

~Sam

Consider that the error of measurement for the GMAT is about 30 points. So, even if you feel that your true score could improve by 20 points, your measured score could actually drop by 10...

Additionally, I don't think that going from 710 to 730 will drastically affect your chances. If we were talking 710 vs. 750+, then yes. But 20 points is within the measurement error.

L.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
This is actually a very valid point... something that I will need to consider. Obviously, I am hoping to improve to 750+, but I feel 20-30 points may be a little more realistic. Again, I realize 700+ is sufficient for most any school. A lot of it is peace of mind for myself, and proving to myself that I can achieve what I believe I am capable of doing.

Thanks for the input though... ;)

~Sam

lepium wrote:
Consider that the error of measurement for the GMAT is about 30 points. So, even if you feel that your true score could improve by 20 points, your measured score could actually drop by 10...

Additionally, I don't think that going from 710 to 730 will drastically affect your chances. If we were talking 710 vs. 750+, then yes. But 20 points is within the measurement error.

L.
GMAT Club Bot