Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:11 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Send PM
Re: Quant Level actual GMAT [#permalink]
Well it all depends on what kind of score you are looking at.
47+, I recommend the Challenges and MGMAT Quant. They are much more difficult than normal Gmat test problems. But honestly, don't go crazy w/ perms/combinations/prob/distance-rate/stat (mean & median) nonsense. Intuitively understand these concepts. Challenges and MGMAT, I feel really take these types of problems to the next level. But if you're looking only at getting a 45-47 Q, you can do so by eliminating stupid mistakes and get your basics down cold. Focus on number theory, geometry, know how to manipulate fractions, decimals, etc. Finding quicker ways of doing mundane problems. Gmat tests speed and accuracy exclusively, it is not a final exam in Discrete Mathematics.

Spend your extra time on Verbal. Most people kill themselves on the Q and severely under prepare for Verbal. Yes, its nice to get above a 90% in Q, don't get me wrong, but not at the cost of your Verbal score. Display your prowess on both portions of the test. No one wants to be known as the guy who can only crunch numbers. If you look at any top 20 B-school's class snapshot, you'll notice that everyone has a much higher V score than Q. hmmm..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think you raise a very good point. Getting the basics down cold is important. I will go through the GMAT Challenges though.

I've been going beserk with Quant and pushed the verbal practise aside these last couple of days. No RC practise at all! A balanced score should definitely be a goal.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
I would like to reiterate that getting the basics down cold is probably better than trying to half-learn advanced concepts.

Getting basics down cold will turn 3-4 dumb mistakes into correct answers and will allow you to go through the easy ones very fast, leaving you more time for the hard ones.

Trying to learn advanced concepts will net you 1 extra correct answer out of 5 tough ones you would have already gotten wrong and you could spend months just trying to acheive this
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I have been scoring 50/51 in Powerprep,GMATPrep and Princeton CATS. In yesteday andtoday, Idid two MGMAT CATs and scored 47 in both the tests.

I was wondering whether MGMAT Quants is a right indicator. Can anyone clarify? How do you map 47 in MGMAT-Quants to the real GMAT Quants?

Comments please.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Send PM
i have a follow up question....

what % scores on the GMAT challenges gaurantee you a 47+ on the GMAT?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
there are no guarantees in the GMAT
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with Tarmac however I have been scoring about 60-70% correct, (not %ile)
and I have gotten a 48 on gmat prep and a 49 on powerprep

Not sure how accurate it is. Ill let you know after I take my real test in a month.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
appuvar wrote:
I have been scoring 50/51 in Powerprep,GMATPrep and Princeton CATS. In yesteday andtoday, Idid two MGMAT CATs and scored 47 in both the tests.

I was wondering whether MGMAT Quants is a right indicator. Can anyone clarify? How do you map 47 in MGMAT-Quants to the real GMAT Quants?

Comments please.

Honestly, some of the MGMAT question difficulty and scoring are just off. Just practice the questions and try gauge whether you are taking too much time to solve them.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
bobinabob2 wrote:
i have a follow up question....

what % scores on the GMAT challenges gaurantee you a 47+ on the GMAT?

I've never done the challenges, just took a peek. I do remember some of them being absurdly difficult. So, there are no guarantees, but if you're doing well with the challenges, you're running with the big dogs.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
I agree with Tarmac however I have been scoring about 60-70% correct, (not %ile)
and I have gotten a 48 on gmat prep and a 49 on powerprep

Not sure how accurate it is. Ill let you know after I take my real test in a month.

For me I never scored less than a 49 on a GMATPrep or PowerPrep, but on g-day 47 was all could manage. During the test I felt I did better than that at Quant since I never got stuck on a question during the exam. I didn't guess any answer.

The conclusion that I came up with is maybe the real Quant has slightly more traps in it and/or due to test day nerves, I wasn't noticing little subtleties in the question and was falling into holes, which prevented me from seeing the higher scoring questions on a regular basis.

All I advise is, if you score 49+ on GMATPrep, be extra vigilant on the day and read the question again just before you hit submit. I wish I would have done that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
buffdaddy wrote:
terp26 wrote:
All I advise is, if you score 49+ on GMATPrep, be extra vigilant on the day and read the question again just before you hit submit. I wish I would have done that.

I agree with that statement 100%. I can't believe how many I've gotten wrong on the GMATclub challenges and other practice tests because I didn't read the question. I'm trying to get into the habit of reading the question twice before I attempt it, then again before I hit submit. The extra 10 seconds per question can make a huge difference in the end.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
buffdaddy wrote:
The conclusion that I came up with is maybe the real Quant has slightly more traps in it and/or due to test day nerves, I wasn't noticing little subtleties in the question and was falling into holes, which prevented me from seeing the higher scoring questions on a regular basis.

Regarding traps, during my practice exams, I rarely changed my answer once I filled in the bubble. However, during the actual test, I changed my answer numerous times (3-4x) before I confirmed the answer. When I was re-reading the questions, I realized there were traps galore! So, yea, I think the actual test is trickier, not necessarily more difficult.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
I felt actual test to be harder than GMATPrep and I attributed that to nervousness/anxiety. First 2-3 question ware straightforward questions but I validated the answer multiple times. But perception is reality so actual test is harder.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts