Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:48 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6811 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Re: My GMAT experience : 580 to 720 [#permalink]
Kudos
malliesguide wrote:
Its all in the mind

The GMAT is as much a test of temperament as it is of intellectual capacity. It’s important to build confidence before moving into the test and it’s even more important to remain calm and composed. Do not spend more than 3 mins a question. Treat every question as just that – one question. Don’t get too ruffled by your previous question. You do not have to answer everything right to get a good score. Anyone, with some good preparation, some sacrifice, and dedication can get a good score. There are times when you feel you are getting no where but don’t worry too much – screw it, just do it :)

Great job and nice improvement, malliesguide. I totally agree that it's just as much about knowing your concepts as it is about having faith in your own abilities.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Yeah, i did not do the AWA. Of what i know, not too many schools pay attention to the AWA. And since i already had a 5, i thought id skip it this time around and go into the Quant completly fresh.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Hemmm no AWA, do you know what schools you are applying to? I know some schools let you take the best section scores (Yale, Tuck) and report the highest overall. However there are a lot of schools that if you want to use that 720 you are going to have to report it as a 720 with a 0 in AWA, even though you got a 5 on your previous attempt.

Anyone have any hard evidence of this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
nice score but you should've done the AWA portion. Schools don't pay attention to the score as long as you get above a 4.5 (25%).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey what a great story, full of inspiration. All the best for the next step :gl
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
You know how you read stats like 1/3 of all Veritas Classroom Course participants score above a 700...I'd love to see what gmatclub stats are, it feels like every day we read a story like this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
we should have a sticky with the names of all the 700+ clubbers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Impressive!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Great stuff and congrats.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations, you've given me hope.

I am just about to order my study materials. Which Princeton Reviews do you recommend? I see four available, Math, Verbal, the Crash Course, and Cracking the GMAT...or should I be getting all of them?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
inspirational story. just joined the club. did my GMAT for the 1st time and got unofficial 580 with some preparation although I think I could certainly do more quant and am at that stage of feeling disappointed. But the screw it, just do it attitude is creeping back into my blood.
I used the original book and one called Ace the GMAT, I don't know if anyone can suggest which other book is important- I need to do a similar turnaround.
Feeling mean :twisted: don't like to lose!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [1]
Schools:Life
Send PM
Kudos
Wow this is a great story, great job...congrats on a great score :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi snowbirdskier,

I used the Princeton - Cracking the GMAT. Did not use the others. This is a very good book to start off your preperation with. Has some excellent tips on the verbal section, specially SC. The Quant basics are pretty good too. Overall i would use this to get my basics right and get familar with the GMAT and then suppliment this with practice from the Official Guides.

All the best :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Namco,

You should keep your practice up with the Offical Guides. May i know what your verbal/quant score was? If you are weak in Quant i would suggest you also get the Official Quant Guide. Try and princeton review and manhatten SC for Verbal basics.

I would also highly reccomend you keep taking the GMAT Prep test - the verbal will keep increasing but quant questions are almost always different. I would also suggest you target a Quant/Verbal score and structure your studying basis this target.

I know its hard to keep going, but im pretty sure with some smart studying you will improve your score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi malliesguide,

I got Verbal 30 and Quant 39. Strangely I thought I had aced the Verbal but I think I need to work on that as well. I think I could improve because I only did about 7 weeks prep. I have already been through the OG quant book. I downloaded the Gmat prep but you only get 2 papers. Do they add new ones? how do you get more to practice?
Last question! I'm about to rebook another exam. I was thinking of giving myself 2 months, does that sound about right?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Namco,

You can definately improve on this score.

You can take the GMAT Prep more than twice. Even though there are only two "papers" you should take it more than twice. The quant questions are almost always different while the verbal will keep repeating itself after 3-4 attempts (but you will definately get new SC). I think this test is the best preperation.

I think its important that you aim for a particular score in each, Quant and Verbal.

Quant is nothing but practice. Identify your weakness and work on that. With Verbal, you can improve the most in SC. The more you practice SC, the better you will get. (refer my debreif)

Its very important that you have a strategy and as you work on this you will build your confidence, something thats crucial. Get a date now and build your strategy around the time you have.

Glad to help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi malliesguide

Thanks for the advice and help. I really appreciate it.
I will definitely take it on board. Its nice to have encouraging words. Good luck to you with the rest of your journey. I'll let you know how I get on if you're still on the forum

N
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts