Last visit was: 30 Apr 2024, 03:31 It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 03:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Schools:Chicago R2
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1455 [0]
Send PM
Re: less than 24 hours left.....my 1st attempt [#permalink]
My Manhattan instructor says most people go up automatically on the 2nd attempt by not doing anything....The ManhattanGMAT recommendation is you take the test twice. First time, and then wait a month and do nothing, and take it a 2nd time without practicing between the two.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Kudos
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
My Manhattan instructor says most people go up automatically on the 2nd attempt by not doing anything....The ManhattanGMAT recommendation is you take the test twice. First time, and then wait a month and do nothing, and take it a 2nd time without practicing between the two.

jimmyjamesdonkey, for russian-speaking people [maybe for others too] its not so easy to crack the verbal part. Sometimes RC/CR seems for me as walking around Rosetta Stone trying to decipher egyptian hieroglyphes with a time constraint. I become very supprised when I hit a correct answer without any right sense what the authors talked about.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
HAHAHA barfer +1. Not just russian people, all people have had that experience sometime or the other.

barfer wrote:
jimmyjamesdonkey, for russian-speaking people [maybe for others too] its not so easy to crack the verbal part. Sometimes RC/CR seems for me as walking around Rosetta Stone trying to decipher egyptian hieroglyphes with a time constraint. I become very supprised when I hit a correct answer without any right sense what the authors talked about.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V35
Send PM
bsd_lover, i'm glad that we're not unique :wink: even if i'm not russian just russian-speaking :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1455 [0]
Send PM
I'm a fluent english speaker, and when I first took the GMATprep scored a 34 in the verbal...sometimes if I'm not careful my score can slip back down to 31 as well. Native speakers are in the same boat!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
keep walking walker =), all the best dude
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Wow, this just shows how the GMAT, like life, ain't fair :(
If there was anyone who deserved a 750+ score, based on how hard they worked and how much they helped others achieve high scores, that would be Walker.

Don't give up buddy, persistence will help you win it in the end. And if this is any consolation, you are a hero on this board to many people who although not so influential are probably better human beings than the HBS adcom :P

To anyone who thinks the GMAT quant is easier than the GMATPrep Quant - Walker is the guy who would get 51 9 out of 10 times on the GMATPrep. Think about that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
goes to show you how hard a 51Q really is. I got a 50Q and I am no where near the level that walker is in quant, so a lot is luck and a lot is just focus and careful concentration. Good score, that was my 1st attempt (680), I had a 720 on my 2nd a month later. You can do it, I have faith in you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1512 [0]
Send PM
I agree, retake the test. You will be a lot more familiar and comfortable with the setting the next time.

Verbal is hard, but you can conquer it if you develop a systematic way of approaching it like you did with the math part.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V35
Send PM
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
I'm a fluent english speaker, and when I first took the GMATprep scored a 34 in the verbal...sometimes if I'm not careful my score can slip back down to 31 as well. Native speakers are in the same boat!

That's right, jimmyjamesdonkey. But I cannot even imagine touching V50-V51 :shock: . Sometimes I seem that time for only reading statements, passages, questions, and variants of the answers take more than 75 minutes :roll: , o-o-o-o I'm crying :cry: when I think how it could be if I read those in russian.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V35
Send PM
But dont pay attention. fellows. I'm just complaining of real things. :-D I'm going to kill the test by the end of June.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

This makes no sense at all. Unless the instructor is talking about natural variation of 10-20 points, which is worthless anyway. Please send the instructor an e-slap for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
CHak de phatte!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Walker,
I thought i misread first. 680 is not for you buddy.
You can kick ass with some more Verbal prep. I highly recommend LSAT Superprep and LSAT CRs from 1000 CRs. Let me know if I can help anyway.
As I had said once.....lot of us owe you 40-50 points...I do. Sad part I cant transfer you those.

Good luck for your prep and next attempt.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Tarmac wrote:
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

This makes no sense at all. Unless the instructor is talking about natural variation of 10-20 points, which is worthless anyway. Please send the instructor an e-slap for me.

e-slap from me too. I worked my ass off between my 1st and 2nd GMAT and still got the same score.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Tarmac wrote:
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

thats rite, GMAC isn't the type of organisation that will give big discounts (in terms of a better score) to repeat customers :-)

there are also numerous stories on this board of repeat test takers who got LESS the second time around!

e-slap for me too please
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
walker wrote:
680 Q50V31

a short debrief.

- math was good, but many problems required careful reading and were hard to understand what is asking. I guess I made one mistake in one of the first 10s questions. By the way, first three questions were easy. And, guys, drinking water before Q part was a HUGE mistake! :P
- verbal. SC seems to be odd, and maybe I failed to concentrate up to a required level. Moreover, some of the RC questions were too long and covered whole screen, so I had to go faster in SC and CR.

Finally, I did not study so hard as it was necessary! But I will not give up! see you latter at the forum!

Thank for your support!
Yours Walker

Walker - knowing your dedication, if anything, this has me convinced that you'll be back and stronger the next time around! :m16
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Founder
37324 posts