Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:53 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Investment Banking Research Associate... [#permalink]
I have heard a very differing opinion as far as exit positions in research from various other investment bankers saying that hedge funds are very interested in hiring away research associates. How about mobility within a firm?

The main reason I want to know is that my wife is going start a business after I get out of B school. I think the equity research will allow me to not work 90 hours per week and get the business started. It seems that the pay for research is not much different than M & A initially.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
I have heard a very differing opinion as far as exit positions in research from various other investment bankers saying that hedge funds are very interested in hiring away research associates. How about mobility within a firm?

The main reason I want to know is that my wife is going start a business after I get out of B school. I think the equity research will allow me to not work 90 hours per week and get the business started. It seems that the pay for research is not much different than M & A initially.

It is different, from my understanding. I think a first-year post-MBA in investment banking may make 300-350K, and a first-year in research may make 200-250K.

I could see research associates getting hired away by hedge funds who rely on fundamental analysis more so than quantitative analysis - however I believe that hedge funds employing this model are somewhat rare. I think the more common buy-side exit opportunities would be into traditional investment management (mutual funds, pension funds, etc.).

Research hours are very cyclical from what I understanding. They work banking hours (70-100 hrs/week) during earnings season and 60-70 during non-earnings season.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Don't mean to disagree, but I'm trying to educate myself a little more about this. Could you post a reference for the following information:

"I think a first-year post-MBA in investment banking may make 300-350K, and a first-year in research may make 200-250K."

With the recent state of the financial sector, does this still hold true? Or is the key word in your statement 'may'?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Futuristic wrote:
Don't mean to disagree, but I'm trying to educate myself a little more about this. Could you post a reference for the following information:

"I think a first-year post-MBA in investment banking may make 300-350K, and a first-year in research may make 200-250K."

With the recent state of the financial sector, does this still hold true? Or is the key word in your statement 'may'?

Everything in the financial services industry fluctuates with the state of the economy. Bonuses are expected to be down 10-20% this year in I-Banking, which is less of a hit than expected. I have no idea about research. I also have no idea about hiring for the next couple of years in either banking or research.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Could you answer my primary question as to the source of your information?

Thanks
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Check this out from Vault, it should answer your questions.

https://www.vault.com/nr/newsmain.jsp?nr_page=3&ch_id=240&article_id=16127146
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:

I've heard, first hand, that research people work hellish hours.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
thanks for the help everyone....with all the conflicting info, i am starting to wonder if research is more firm specific than M & A in terms of hours and/or pay.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Futuristic wrote:

Thanks

It's not published in a book or a case study. It's mostly just hearsay. You can take it with a grain of salt if you'd like :)

Bases on both jobs will be $95K and that can be verified by any career services employment report from any major school. Bonuses will vary quite a bit due to the hours worked and value of the work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
Check this out from Vault, it should answer your questions.

https://www.vault.com/nr/newsmain.jsp?nr_page=3&ch_id=240&article_id=16127146

Good link. Cleared things up for me. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
It's not published in a book or a case study. It's mostly just hearsay. You can take it with a grain of salt if you'd like :)

Makes sense, thanks for clearing it up.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Kudos
terp06 wrote:
Futuristic wrote:

Thanks

Bases on both jobs will be $95K and that can be verified by any career services employment report from any major school. Bonuses will vary quite a bit due to the hours worked and value of the work.

108-p419751?t=58490&hilit=investment+bank+salary#p419751

Scroll down to pelihu's post with attachment.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I have seen that but it does not break down per function. I am almost certain that research does not make the same as M & A after 2 or 3 years.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
I have seen that but it does not break down per function. I am almost certain that research does not make the same as M & A after 2 or 3 years.

Not even close...

If you think about M&A, where there is such a tiny capital cost for such a huge potential revenue upside. I mean for a $1 Billion Sell-Side M&A deal the bank fee would be around 1% of the total deal size, or around $10 million. It might take two analysts, an associate, maybe a VP, and an MD to run the auction for 5 months before the deal closes. The percent of the fee that is required to pay all the banker's salary is probably 10%. (Almost) All of the rest is profit for the bank. Subtract fixed costs, etc.

Look at research for a major bank. Where's the revenue? Analyst reports bring in a pretty small amount of direct revenue. They are simply a tool used by the Sales and Trading department to get more business. Sales says to the institutional investors that we have the top research guy in X sector. We will provide you free reports if you trade with us. Of course, the investors all have research departments of their own doing the same work, but the Wall Streat Analysts usually do a really good job with their models/analysis. They also know the companies in their sector in-depth. However, no serious investor actually takes an analysts buy/sell/hold recommendation seriously.

So in summary: M&A department, high revenue, high value, low cost. Research, marginal cost, medium value, low revenue. That is why M&A guys make the big bucks and most research guys make a lot less, but still get paid well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
lanter1 wrote:

Oh OK...just thought it would be a decent data point if you haven't seen it. That is the only data I've seen too. I'm not sure about research analyst positions, but I am pretty sure your assumption is correct.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
deleted

Originally posted by maverick2011 on 10 Jun 2008, 09:58.
Last edited by maverick2011 on 10 Jun 2008, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
maverick2011 wrote:
lanter1 wrote:

Oh OK...just thought it would be a decent data point if you hadn't seen it. I'm not sure about research analyst positions, but I am pretty sure your assumption is correct.

Yeah, I saw that before and it was helpful. thanks for the input.
GMAT Club Bot