Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:31 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6814 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1930 [1]
Send PM
Re: SC - roadblocks [#permalink]
Kudos
namurad wrote:
v05#2
Roadblocks on major holidays, even if they are set up only to check drivers’ licenses and seat belts, are spontaneous searches of every driver, even the ones who have committed no crime. Without establishing probable cause, I believe such searches should be illegal.

A Without establishing probable cause, I believe such searches should be illegal
B Unless establishing probable cause, such searches, I believe, should be illegal
C I believe such searches should be illegal, without establishing probable cause
D I believe such searches should be illegal, unless officers have established probable cause
E I believe without establishing probable cause that such searches should be illegal

B is my choice.

Who does establish probable cause? Searcher!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 659 [2]
Send PM
Re: SC - roadblocks [#permalink]
Kudos
Roadblocks on major holidays, even if they are set up only to check drivers’ licenses and seat belts, are spontaneous searches of every driver, even the ones who have committed no crime. Without establishing probable cause, I believe such searches should be illegal.

A Without establishing probable cause, I believe such searches should be illegal
Incorrect:"Without ... cause" in above is like a modifier. It modifies "I" , which
actually makes no sense. As "I" is not establishing the cause.

B Unless establishing probable cause, such searches, I believe, should be illegal
Incorrect: Same as A. But even more serious with non-restrictive "such searches"
C I believe such searches should be illegal, without establishing probable cause
Incorrect:The modifier is shifted to end of the statement, modifying "illegal"
D I believe such searches should be illegal, unless officers have established probable cause
Correct:This really makes sense. The format now is IC,DC=> IC,unless IC
And it is clear that "officiers" established a cause.

E I believe without establishing probable cause that such searches should be illegal
Incorrect:Odd. I believe without establishing .... I don't establish
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-04-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Roadblocks on major holidays, even if they are set up only [#permalink]
Kudos
Rock750 wrote:
Roadblocks on major holidays, even if they are set up only to check drivers’ licenses and seatbelts, are spontaneous searches of every driver, even the ones who have committed no crime. Without establishing probable cause, I believe such searches should be illegal.

A) Without establishing probable cause, I believe such searches should be illegal
B) Unless establishing probable cause, such searches, I believe, should be illegal
C) I believe such searches should be illegal, without establishing probable cause
D) I believe such searches should be illegal, unless officers have established probable cause
E) I believe without establishing probable cause that such searches should be illegal

I got the answer as D. Let me explain:

This is one of those in which we need to reduce ambiguity. First off, we should be able to establish that the author of the argument thinks that random searches without probable cause are illegal.

Without establishing probable cause, I believe such searches should be illegal
Without establishing probable cause, I believe
This tells us that author does not have a probable cause for his belief. Wrong meaning. NO.

Unless establishing probable cause, such searches, I believe, should be illegal
Unless establishing probable cause
This is a sentence fragment. For this sentence to be correct, the bold should have been "Unless probable cause is established, ....NO.

I believe such searches should be illegal, without establishing probable cause
Again, the meaning here is ambiguous, this sentence reads as if the author has not established probable cause. NO.

I believe such searches should be illegal, unless officers have established probable cause
This is the correct answer. It correctly addresses the authors concern, and we can clearly see who needs to establish the probable cause. YES.

I believe without establishing probable cause that such searches should be illegal
Again, it means the same wrong meaning as A and C, therefore not correct. NO.

Let me know if this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
namurad wrote:
v05#2

/

'Without' something happening...." " should be illegal does not sound right. 'Unless' fits in better!

There fore option A,C,E are out. Option B sounds awkward....Hence option E is the correct choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Hi,
can someone explain the meaning and the answer choice explanation in detail?

Regards,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Roadblocks on major holidays, even if they are set up only [#permalink]

- Who is performing the action of 'establishing' ? (A) does not mention the subject who commands the action of 'establishing'. Hence, eliminate (A)

B Unless establishing probable cause, such searches, I believe, should be illegal - The same error in (A):
Who is performing the action of 'establishing' ? (A) does not mention the subject who commands the action of 'establishing'. Hence, eliminate (B)

C I believe such searches should be illegal, without establishing probable cause - Same error as in (A): (C) has no clear subject that commands the action of 'establishing'. Hence, eliminate (C).

D I believe such searches should be illegal, unless officers have established probable cause - Here, we know exactly 'who' is commanding the action of 'establishing'. Additionally, the usage of 'unless' clearly indicates an exception to the general statement made by the author of the passage. (D) has no logical error or grammatical error. Hence, (D) is the right answer.

E I believe without establishing probable cause that such searches should be illegal - the pronoun 'that' is misplaced here. In (E), 'that' now modifies 'cause', a modifier action that does not make sense. Hence, eliminate (E).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts