Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:59 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 722 [42]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619399 [4]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4800 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired [#permalink]
Kudos
Tot number of retiress = T
number of retirees moving to sunsstate = x
% of retirees moving to sunstate p = (x/T)*100
p decreases , if T increases ,x is constant
p decreases , if x decreases , T is constant
p deceases , if T increases , X increases (but the increase is not very high compared to T)

in 20007, T =100,x =20 , p= 20 %
in 2008, t =1000, , p = 10 %

to calculate x in 2008 : x = (1000*10)/100 = 100

The percentage of people moving is decreased but the actual number of people (x) moving has increased.

E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2799 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is a perfect example of percentage trap. The ans shld b E.
Suppose earlier no of ppl who migrated was 100 and % who retired to suncity was 10%. then their no is 10. But if the total no of ppl increased say to 1000 but % migrated to suncity decreased to 5%. so no of ppl retiring 2 suncity is 50 which is definitely more than earlier. I hope it is clear now
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
Kudos
ajit257 wrote:
Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years. Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

a. SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.
b. There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.
c. The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years.
d. SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees.
e. The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.

Can someone tell me how to improve on my CR. Apparently i am doing ok in OG but I am being battered in mgmat exams. Please could someone help me out here. Thanks

Hello ajit,

It would be good if you had a good grasp of CR as a whole and I also believe that the Powerscore CR would definitely help you in that area.
After that just practicing would help improve your score. Try to find some LSAT exams with which to practice, it has difficult questions compared to those the GMAT has. So, yup I think that would help you.

Let's come to the q: The passage says "Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years."
Then it concludes the argument by saying, "Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses."

The author assumes that the local businesses will suffer because there aren't that many retirees coming into Sunstate. What would weaken (or cause someone to doubt the conclusion) the argument is that the local businesses would not suffer a negative economic effect.

How do we show this? By showing that there is not that much of a significant change in the amount of retirees coming into the state.
The passage says that the number of retirees coming into the state has decreased by 10% it could mean that the original number is 100,000 (bringing the current number to 99,000) that's a significant change. Now what if the original number of retirees decreased from 100 retirees (now the number of retirees would become 90 - a decline of 10%).

E is correct because it says that the total number of retirees that moved to another state increased instead of decreased - so that would mean taht the percentage does not exactly represent a significant decrease, therefore the local businesses would not suffer a negative economic effect.

IMHO

HTH

Mari
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 962 [0]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I answered this question wrongly. In spite of that fact, I am posting my flawed solving process for others to see.
+1 B

Premise 1 - Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years
Premise 2 - Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees

Conclusion - this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses

Any option which weakens the conclusion or weakens the premise on which the conclusion is based is our answer

A) SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state. (This strengthens the argument, eliminate)
B) There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees. (This options weakens the premise on which our conclusion is based and is thus our answer )
C) The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years. (This strengthens the argument, eliminate)
D) SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees. (Irrelevant)
E) The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years. (Although this number has increased they have not moved to SunState, eliminate)

:-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
+1 E

Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has
decreased by 10 percent over the past five years.

Assume Required retirees in Sunstate to cater various businesses = 125

1st scenario :- Assume that 500 retirees moved from one state to another , 25 % moved to Sunstate - 125 retirees
2nd scenario :- As per 'E' if the total number of retirees who moved from one state to another are exceptionally high , lets say - 2000 , only 15% of 2000
i.e 300 (much higher than the required total retirees to cater businesses) moved to Sunstate

Press + 1 Kudos if you like my explanation
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT Focus 1:
775 Q90 V90 DI86
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
getgyan wrote:
I answered this question wrongly. In spite of that fact, I am posting my flawed solving process for others to see.
+1 B

Premise 1 - Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years
Premise 2 - Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees

Conclusion - this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses

Any option which weakens the conclusion or weakens the premise on which the conclusion is based is our answer

A) SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state. (This strengthens the argument, eliminate)
B) There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees. (This options weakens the premise on which our conclusion is based and is thus our answer )
C) The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years. (This strengthens the argument, eliminate)
D) SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees. (Irrelevant)
E) The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years. (Although this number has increased they have not moved to SunState, eliminate)

Thanks for posting this – I actually think looking at common mistakes made on CR is a more useful way to learn than just reading correct solutions.

Let me try to explain exactly why this logic for (B) isn't quite correct.

One general point: we're not allowed to question premises on CR. This is a common technique used in everyday arguments (claiming your opponent has his facts wrong), but the GMAT is more interested in the internal logic of arguments. The only piece open to attacks are the assumptions.

Second major point, answer (B) does NOT actually attack a premise. Pay attention to the exact wording of the conclusion, the "decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses" The real issue is that the conclusion is talking about "these" businesses, by which we mean the ones that cater to retirees. So, the existence of tourism-related businesses is completely irrelevant!

So what is that assumption in the argument? Notice that the premises are all about percentages, but the conclusion is about the actual number of retirees (the business will hurt because they have fewer customers). This is one of the GMAT's favorite kind of assumptions to test. Just because the percentage is down doesn't mean the actual number is down. Look for an answer choice that exploits this problem, and only (E) does the trick!

Cheers,
Mark
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 962 [0]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Mark

Thanks for the explanation

MarkSullivan wrote:
One general point: we're not allowed to question premises on CR. This is a common technique used in everyday arguments (claiming your opponent has his facts wrong), but the GMAT is more interested in the internal logic of arguments. The only piece open to attacks are the assumptions.

Is that so? Power Score CR, "Chapter 6 Weaken Questions - Page No. 113", clearly states that one of the classic ways to attack an argument is to attack the premises on which the conclusion rests.

Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Re: Of the people who moved from one state to another when they [#permalink]
Kudos
This is a tricky question and I'm still not sure between A and E. Why is A wrong and E right. For me E being right requires an unncessary assumption on the part of the test taker which would assume that the number of retirees also increases in the sunstate...

That is really really iffy business. Why can we make such an assumption?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Of the people who moved from one state to another when they [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
manimgoindowndown wrote:
This is a tricky question and I'm still not sure between A and E. Why is A wrong and E right. For me E being right requires an unncessary assumption on the part of the test taker which would assume that the number of retirees also increases in the sunstate...

That is really really iffy business. Why can we make such an assumption?

Hi manimgoindowndown,

We have to select an answer choice that will weaken the conclusion that decline in the proportion of people retiring to SunState will cause a negative economic effect on the business serving retired people

Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years. Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.

Suppose were true then this would mean that the number people retiring to SunState is greater than those do retire in other state. Greater number is good, but we are comparing the number "in SunState" this year vs last year. Even if SunState attracts more retires than other states, it has seen a 10% decrease and this will cause a decline in local businesses. To sump up, (A) makes a wrong comparison between "SunState and other states", the correct answer should give some information about the number of retirees ""last years v/s this year"

E.The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.

If the total number of people who retired and moved to another state has increased then this means that the number of people corresponding to the proportion will also increase

Lets user numbers for this choice:

Lets say, last year, the total number of people retiring and moving to other states is 1000 and 100 of these are retiring to SunState. Now the proportion would be \(\frac{100}{1000}\)\(\frac{*100}{1}\) = 10%

This year this proportion has decreased by 10%, i.e. the new proportion has now become 9% (=10% decrease in the proportion). Now according to (E) the total number has increased. Lets say that the total number has increased from 1000 to 1500. Now 9% of 1500 is 135. This number is greater than the previous 100. The total number doesn't have to be 1500, but (E) in fact (among all the choices) gives us the strongest reason to weaken the conclusion, even slightly.

If we want to prove that the conclusion is true for sure, then we need to make an assumption that the increase in the total number of retirees should be such that it offsets the 10% decrease in the proportion. We just need an additional evidence that will weaken the conclusion, this evidence may or may not destroy the conclusion.

Hope this helps,

Vercules
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
getgyan wrote:
Hi Mark

Thanks for the explanation

MarkSullivan wrote:

Is that so? Power Score CR, "Chapter 6 Weaken Questions - Page No. 113", clearly states that one of the classic ways to attack an argument is to attack the premises on which the conclusion rests.

Any thoughts?

I used the same reasoning...I got the answer as B.
can someone explain why not B?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64947 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM