Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Re: Done. 740 (97%) - Q49 (89%) / V42 (95%) [#permalink]
congrats my friend..yes please comment on the verbal and what made the SCs trickier than normal??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 684 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Awsome score smkr, good luck for your application. And can you please tell us what do you mean by vague RC?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Congratulations and good luck with your applications!! Great score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Well I guess it's kind of hard to explain, but there were one or two SC's in which I could identify a concrete basic grammatical rule that was broken in every answer choice...and usually I only missed 1-2 SC's in my practice tests, but those 1 or 2 on the actual GMAT were unlike anything I'd encountered. So it must have been some very obscure grammatical rule I was missing. Or maybe I was just going too fast and misread them.

As for RC's, there was one question where 2 of the answer choices were extremely similar, and I really could not differentiate between the 2. That hadn't ever happened to me before in practice.

So I guess the lesson to be learned is to make sure you really, really focus while taking the verbal section...it's sometimes the very small details that make an answer correct, and apparently I missed some of those small details on the actual exam.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 564 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Congrats Dude! Awesome score.

Can you provide debrief on how you built on verbal on SC,RC & CR. Though I read several postings on these topics, its worth asking winners. Especially how you overcame RC timing issue and SC issue of identifying the exact error. Though I am better than I was couple of months ago in spotting the error, still I miss on some of them. I have troubles with RC timing as well. I guess these are universal problems for people who are not native English speakers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
CONGRATULATION ON YOUR SCORE!!!

I have just started preparing for GMAT and I am a non-native english speaker. it will be extremely helpful if you can provide us with some timelines. As to when you started preparing for GMAT and in what order you used the prep material.

Thanks in advacne
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
great score and go the scousers !!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
buffdaddy wrote:
great score and go the scousers !!!!!

Thanks! Now if we could just get the Gareth Barry transfer sorted out...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Update: AWA 6.0
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
vishy007 wrote:
Congrats Dude! Awesome score.

Can you provide debrief on how you built on verbal on SC,RC & CR. Though I read several postings on these topics, its worth asking winners. Especially how you overcame RC timing issue and SC issue of identifying the exact error. Though I am better than I was couple of months ago in spotting the error, still I miss on some of them. I have troubles with RC timing as well. I guess these are universal problems for people who are not native English speakers.

I really am not much help for RC. I just read them once usually, while trying to tell myself I was interested in the passage. This helped me to pay attention. Then I would just address the question. I only did 2 RC passages in my preparation (other than those included with practice CATs), so RC just kind of came naturally.

As for identifying the exact SC error - just practice, practice, practice. Especially from the OG, and you'll get the hang of the types of SC errors they like to present.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rao_1857 wrote:
CONGRATULATION ON YOUR SCORE!!!

I have just started preparing for GMAT and I am a non-native english speaker. it will be extremely helpful if you can provide us with some timelines. As to when you started preparing for GMAT and in what order you used the prep material.

Thanks in advacne

In terms of timelines, I started thinking about the GMAT in March. But I didn't have time to actually study until school was over in May (I'm still an undergrad). So I spent May and June studying (while simultaneously working on an application that was due July 1). I probably spent 20-30 hours a week studying for the GMAT.

I first went through all the MGMAT books, which were pretty helpful (except for the RC and CR book - I didn't get much from them). I thought all of the MGMAT quant books were very good because they cover the scope of everything the GMAT will test. Then I did all the OG11 PS and DS questions. After that, I moved to OG11 SC and RC questions. About this time, I purchased the GMAT Club tests. So for the last 3-4 weeks, I would do a mix of SC/RC from OG11, SC from the OG Verbal guide, and GMAT Club tests. The GMAT club tests were more than enough to keep my quant at a 48-50 level (in all, I did about 7 of the GMAT Club tests, I think). I also did one practice test a week.

For almost all of my studying and practice, I would do groups of 15 questions in 30 minutes. I think that helped me keep good timing on the actual test.

Througout my study, I kept a spreadsheet of the questions I missed and what my mistakes were. So on the day before the test, I just reviewed the problems (PS, DS, and SC) that I had missed.

That's about it for my approach.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts