Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:24 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Chicago GSB [#permalink]
Guys I've been looking into the GSB lately and I've become really interested in applying in R1.

How is the campus?

Is the school "commuter" (whatever your definition of the word) or do people hang out on campus?

Do bschoolers mingle with the other schools?

Where do the students mostly live and mingle?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
fooFighter wrote:
Guys I've been looking into the GSB lately and I've become really interested in applying in R1.

How is the campus?

Is the school "commuter" (whatever your definition of the word) or do people hang out on campus?

Do bschoolers mingle with the other schools?

Where do the students mostly live and mingle?

Campus (or rather the Harper center) is a top-notch modern facility, second to none. Well, maybe Ross will have something of a kind, once it's finished.

Yes, it is a commuter school, whatever it means :-D People live all over the city (of course there are more densely GSB populated areas - South Loop, Hyde Park) but they tend to hang out in Harper Center the whole day. So, probably there is more socializing in this "commuter" school than in many "campus" schools.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
So I wanted to get an opinion on my thoughts for the 2a essay:

2a) Have you ever made a decision that caused you to go against popular opinion? Please describe that situation and your rationale for you decision. b) Did you feel at any point that people misperceived your motives? Explain? c) In retrospect, how do you think an MBA from Chicago GSB would have affected your decision?

I'm thinking about using a recent acquisition that I was against from the first time we began to look at it (I'm in Corp Dev/Strategic Planning). It made no sense to buy the company and still doesn't as far as I'm concerned, but there are several senior people for the acq. What I'm not sure of is how to answer the motives part of the question? Not sure how people could misperceive my motives, it's not like I have an agenda or something. How do you think this sounds as the basis for my answer?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Texas
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
So I wanted to get an opinion on my thoughts for the 2a essay:

2a) Have you ever made a decision that caused you to go against popular opinion? Please describe that situation and your rationale for you decision. b) Did you feel at any point that people misperceived your motives? Explain? c) In retrospect, how do you think an MBA from Chicago GSB would have affected your decision?

I'm thinking about using a recent acquisition that I was against from the first time we began to look at it (I'm in Corp Dev/Strategic Planning). It made no sense to buy the company and still doesn't as far as I'm concerned, but there are several senior people for the acq. What I'm not sure of is how to answer the motives part of the question? Not sure how people could misperceive my motives, it's not like I have an agenda or something. How do you think this sounds as the basis for my answer?

I think that sounds like a good topic for your response. As for misperceived motives, you could discuss the potential for more senior people at the firm seeing your opposition to the acquisition as a way to potentially make a name for yourself/earn your stripes over a more senior person. Seems like an angle you could run with. Of course, I am not sure if there was any indication of misperceived motives in your situation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
I don't think Indian Citizens are place in the same pool as Indian Americans. though I have heard that a few schools (forgot which ones) count non-caucasian Americans as "international" for their international student percentage... Yeah, sketchy... :shock:

wow that is sketchy! I'm an Indian citizen but US permanent resident - wonder which bucket that puts me in? :roll:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
For those looking for a swanky-er place to stay this weekend, Marriott has a deal at one of their renovated facilities on the Magnif Mile in July/Aug - it's something like $180/night instead of the usual $300 or so.

I on the other hand am crashing on a friend's air mattress - and all it's costing me is a bottle of Jager 8-) woo!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi Folks,
Thanks for helping us out! I am applying to GSB for 09. I am vissiting chicago over the labor day weekend. I was wondering if one of the current students could spare some time to meet me?
Thanks
Akshat
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
is it time to rename this thread to Chicago Booth? :lol:

On a serious note, how do current students feel about how this donation is going to improve the school? It already was reputed to have the best facilities...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kidro2001 wrote:
is it time to rename this thread to Chicago Booth? :lol:

On a serious note, how do current students feel about how this donation is going to improve the school? It already was reputed to have the best facilities...

If you read how the gift is set up they arent going to cash it in. A lot of schools keep their endowments growing and only use the interest, so thats probably what this will do. It brings them up to the level of Kellogg and Wharton in terms of their b-school endowment now so personally I dont think its going to make a huge impact immediately...its more of a long term thing. However, you need to realize their competition is definitely going to use this to help them raise money.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
wow, only Stanford, Harvard, and Columbia left...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
kryzak wrote:

and Yale. (I had forgotten that one too, but saw it in a Businessweek article)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Any Chicago Booth ambassadors available to meet Friday morning? rhyme, kwam, irish?
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
kryzak wrote:

Actually is only Yale, Columbia and Stanford. Harvard is actually the George F. Baker Foundation (I know different story but still). And at Stanford no school is allowed to have a name - you should know that you went there :-D .

Soni I will be at school from 10 am if I can finish a case I have till tomorrow night. I sent you a PVT.

kidro

Quite frankly sentiment is still mixed. I preferred the GSB, but I fell that Booth sounds ok - even though it reminds me some other stuff - and in my home country everybody says that I'm at The University of Chicago, that were the brand equity comes from actually.

The deans are talking to students, telling the strategy: brand, faculty, building - I bet that in a couple of year we will have a campus for Exec MBA somewhere else, and I believe it's going to be at the UEA - etc. The Money may give space to school make what Kellogg already does: Direct Student Loans.

Chicago was behind its peers in endowments, and was considered even a stretchy school, and a good thing is that it is $150M already ahead of others, as it has already the building for the FT MBA.

The point is that Mr. Booth, is really attached to the school and the university, and his gift already made some other Alumni to participate in the $100M matching program, this will allow the school to compete in a better position, for sure. Also his story is very interesting, and even though some people don't like Efficient Markets Theory, truth be told is that DFA made lots of Money using the semi-strong form of it and some anomalies that the Fama-French 3 factor model showed.

I read the HBS case about Dimensional last week, really intriguing.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
kwam wrote:
kryzak wrote:

Actually is only Yale, Columbia and Stanford. Harvard is actually the George F. Baker Foundation (I know different story but still). And at Stanford no school is allowed to have a name - you should know that you went there :-D .

Interesting, I did not know that no schools at Stanford is allowed to have a name. I went to engineering school there, remember? None of the engineering schools have a name. This whole "naming of school" thing is stuff of the Professional schools. :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
I had no idea Stanford wasn't allowed to name its schools. You learn something new every day! The naming trend is starting to slowly spread to med schools (Geffen/UCLA, Feinberg/Northwestern, Keck/USC) as well. I have no idea what impact that'll have.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
This whole "naming of school" thing is stuff of the Professional schools. :P

I don't think that's the case Kryzak. The engineering school I went to was named after a donor/professor: Henry Samueli, co-founder of Broadcom. He donated 10 million to get those naming rights. He also donated the same amount to another state school to get their engineering school named after him as well. Of course, given his legal troubles, there is talk of removing his name/reselling the naming rights.
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Oh I forgot to mention one thing about the "name changing" here. I like my avatar, I REALLY do, and I want something at the same level before I change it. :shock: :o :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3