Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:55 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]

Originally posted by Hjort on 17 Feb 2005, 18:36.
Last edited by Hjort on 13 Apr 2005, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
A short article on Carnegie Mellon from Business Week:

https://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... _mz056.htm
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Value Considerations

Estimated Total Cost for 2 Years: c. 116k.

Tuition: 38.8 k per annum

FT05 Value For Money #85, near Chicago, MIT, and Michigan.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Class Profile

https://business.tepper.cmu.edu/default.aspx?id=141605

Note that the percentage of students with GMAT above 690 has increased from 35% to 47% from class of 2004 to class of 2006.

In addition, the percentage of students with GMAT below 600 has fallen from 5% to 1%.

Avg. years of experience has fallen from 5.5 to 4.3.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
also interesting to note how much they have decreased their class size in order to have a very competitive class.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Inspired by jackson24nj I looked at my files for CMU again. The change from 2003 to 2006 is far more dramatic.

The percentage of enrollees with GMAT above 690 went from 21% to 47%. Not surprisingly, the percentage of enrollees with GMAT below 600 went from 14% to 1%!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Interview Information

I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and I thought sharing the experience may be useful to someone applying to CMU. Check the link for my responses to the standard accepted.com questionnaire. The site contains responses from about 50 other CMU applicants, so it's very useful.

https://www.accepted.com/mba/interviews/ ... IntID=8374

In brief:
- I am an international, so it was a phone interview;
- the interview lasted 30 mins, all the questions were standard (why Tepper, why now, leadership exmp, diversity), and I never managed to raise my 'school passion level' to a satisfactory level. I felt it was a very impersonal experience - the interviewer was not familiar with my application, so I felt awkward answering the essay questions again.
- The interviewer did not say ANYTHING apart from asking the predetermined questions - no follow-ups, no clarifications. Just a small 'Do you have any questions?' session at the end, which resulted in references to other school officials.

I guess the best way to prepare is to go through your resume and essays, because you'll be answering the same questions again (very likely). Use accepted.com's interview feedback database. Try and do a mock interview before the real thing - this was my first phone interview and I feel I could have been more calm and ready, had I done a mock interview before that.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for relating your impressions of the interview. I obviously did not take part in your interview but I would not automatically assume that the interviewer had not read your materials. Some interviewers purposefully ask for information they already possess to see if your responses are consistent with your written materials. I sometimes use this when conducting interviews- it can be an effective technique, in part to see if candidates get annoyed by the question. It is a good idea to have paraphrased oral versions of your primary case for admission prepared in advance.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
Thanks for relating your impressions of the interview. I obviously did not take part in your interview but I would not automatically assume that the interviewer had not read your materials. Some interviewers purposefully ask for information they already possess to see if your responses are consistent with your written materials. I sometimes use this when conducting interviews- it can be an effective technique, in part to see if candidates get annoyed by the question. It is a good idea to have paraphrased oral versions of your primary case for admission prepared in advance.
Hjort

Actually, the response to the 'thank-you' email I sent to the interviewer included the statement 'We look forward to reading your application', so I am pretty certain she hadn't read my application. Anyway Hjort, I think you are absolutely right - it is very useful to have flexible versions of the answers to the standard questions.

On the next day I received an email, which said that my application is now complete and the decision will be posted in mid January. I don't know if this means complete and pending review or complete and decided upon. We'll soon see what kind of academic news the new year will bring to me...

To the future interviewees: unless you are a great improvizer, know your story, so that you can sell it right!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Alumni Mass Index

Northeast: Large
West: Moderate
Midwest: Moderate
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort,

What is your rationale for classifying Carnegie Mellon's program as a Trans Elite instead of an Elite? When compared to its Trans Elite peers, CMU has a much stronger track record as being a top program and seems to have a much stronger reputation in terms of general perception and placement stats.

Does the small class size hold it down or is there more to it than that? In your opinion, does the heavy quant-focus define it as more of a niche school, or is that something that helps it separate from the pack?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Re: Carnegie Mellon (Tepper) [#permalink]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM