Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 08:12 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Texas
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Visiting Chicago GSB and Kellogg [#permalink]
I noticed the exclusion dates and completely glossed over the Monday-Friday statement. I thought it was odd that tours would be held on weekends but justified it due to the tour and info session being a total of 1 hr. Thanks for the catch mav.

rhyme, any idea what time the event will be Friday evening? I am trying to minimize the days I am taking off from work but would love the opportunity to meet current students. I will look into plane tickets getting in on Friday. I also appreciate the hotel advice. Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Icon if you cant make the chicago event GSB does student events in major cities. I went to one in boston last august. They are definitely one of the more fun/informal events. Its all students, no presentation just hanging out in a bar.

One thing to remember about Kellogg, its going to just be 1Y folks, so they will be relatively new to campus and would only have interacted with each other (not counting DAK and visits this year). Its also a small group and I believe they take more advanced classes so you could sit in on a turbo fin class or something not as fun as a marketing or management elective.

Visits during the summer arent the best but its better than nothing. If you want to visit again in the fall there are plenty of clubbers at both schools and a good number of us are married so your gf can quiz them what their sense of the school is, not sure if she is moving and if you guys are that serious but if she is its much better to include her upfront than convince her or lose her in the end.

As for what to do in the city...doesnt sound like you have much time but the architecture tours are a good way to see a lot of the city. Museums, I would say check out the Field and the aquarium. If your gf likes steak there are tons of great steak places in town too, so you can always suck up the big tab and treat her to a nice meal.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
icon wrote:
I noticed the exclusion dates and completely glossed over the Monday-Friday statement. I thought it was odd that tours would be held on weekends but justified it due to the tour and info session being a total of 1 hr. Thanks for the catch mav.

Well, if you are still planning your trip, I'd urge you to at least consider coming later in the year when classes are in session. That said, the Friday thing will certainly be after 6pm, and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up doing it at 7 or 8pm. As soon as I have a time I'll let you know.
Current Student
Send PM
river, you're right that my gf will be moving with me. That is why I was thinking that bringing her along on the trip to chicago would be a good thing.

To river and rhyme both, idealy I would love to visit once classes are in session but I am planning to apply to both Chicago and Kellogg Rd 1. I noticed that last year the first "GSB Live" event was September 28 (this year's dates have not been released yet from what I can tell) and classes start on September 22 at Kellogg. Visiting at the end of September would be cutting it pretty close to the October Rd 1 deadlines for the schools. If you two were in my shoes would you try to squeeze in the early fall visit, go forward with the lesser summer visit, or just wait to make my first visit when I come for the self initiated Kellogg interview?

Thanks so much to you both for your advice and input. You have been a huge help!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
icon wrote:
river, you're right that my gf will be moving with me. That is why I was thinking that bringing her along on the trip to chicago would be a good thing.

To river and rhyme both, idealy I would love to visit once classes are in session but I am planning to apply to both Chicago and Kellogg Rd 1. I noticed that last year the first "GSB Live" event was September 28 (this year's dates have not been released yet from what I can tell) and classes start on September 22 at Kellogg. Visiting at the end of September would be cutting it pretty close to the October Rd 1 deadlines for the schools. If you two were in my shoes would you try to squeeze in the early fall visit, go forward with the lesser summer visit, or just wait to make my first visit when I come for the self initiated Kellogg interview?

Thanks so much to you both for your advice and input. You have been a huge help!

last year, i didnt visit until the sept 28 gsb live event. it was close but still gives you almost 3 weeks to incorporate the visit into your essays. i had already written most of my essays so it wasn't too hard to weave it in. the most important thing is that you get to interact with students and sit in on a class. if you can do that before the gsb live event, then that may be the better choice, since the live event itself isn't that helpful.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GSB live wasnt all that helpful...it was basically the same presentation you get at one of the regional events but with students instead of alums to chat with. The most interesting thing was evaluating an application packet but even that wasnt what I hoped it would be since they didnt really tell us their take on it.

I suggest that you contact some of the people from on here or that you know at the schools about a visit in the end of september. You really dont have to go to put together a solid application, its more for your benefit of deciding where you want to be and where your gf would enjoy the most. My wife did a few school visits and events with me, and she really wasnt too keen on some of them. I think Kellogg was her top choice of school though MIT was in her preferred city since she knew so many people, after DAK she loved everything about the school and evanston. Dont under estimate the importance of the significant others input if you value your relationship.

I went to a GSB class with Rhyme (they dont have classes during GSB live). I am sure you will be able to find people willing to talk to their professors about you sitting in on a class. Remember you will probably be in a core or intro type class so it wont be as cool as an elective and chances are it will be the very start of the school year so the students wont have much more experience in the subjects than you do. I mean it could be the second or third class, with new material and just going back into a class setting its tough on everyone.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
To repeat previous sentiments, no matter when you visit the GSB, make sure you meet up with rhyme. It will be very informative in figuring out your fit w/ the GSB and at the same time pretty fun.
Director
Director
Given Kudos: 9
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I just got back from the GSB today and it was a great visit. I was the only person at the information session, so I got 45 minutes alone with the AdCom to ask every question I could think of. It was such a great way for me to get all of the information I need to start my essays.

I also got to meet up with Rhyme for a few beers on Sunday, which was a great time. Thanks buddy!! And I second the fact that Rhyme is definitely the best source of information for the GSB. :lol:
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
I also got to meet up with Rhyme for a few beers on Sunday, which was a great time. Thanks buddy!! And I second the fact that Rhyme is definitely the best source of information for the GSB. :lol:

Agreed 100%! My visit last month and talking to rhyme + other GSB students probably pushed the GSB to my #1 choice.

Now if I can only catch him on Xbox Live so I can put a cap in his a$$ in GTA4 :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Really? When I went last year, I was able to sit in on a class during GSB Live. I think it is a great event -- and unlike talking to students or going to an information session, being at GSB allowed me to actually get a true feel for the culture on my own. Because talking to alums or AdCom to me has certain limits -- especially because they are trying to present the school in a favorable light.

riverripper wrote:

I went to a GSB class with Rhyme (they dont have classes during GSB live). I.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
MGOBLUE2 wrote:
Really? When I went last year, I was able to sit in on a class during GSB Live. I think it is a great event -- and unlike talking to students or going to an information session, being at GSB allowed me to actually get a true feel for the culture on my own. Because talking to alums or AdCom to me has certain limits -- especially because they are trying to present the school in a favorable light.

riverripper wrote:

I went to a GSB class with Rhyme (they dont have classes during GSB live). I.

They had a "fake" class when I went, no real GSB students just prospectives in a Marketing class taught by Sanjay Dhar.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
I enjoyed the GSB Live event and would recommend that you try to go to one if possible. The student panel discussion (no adcom present) and application review were 2 useful activities unique to GSB Live. I also attended a "staged" class. Even though it was staged, I still found it to be helpful. Also, there are ample opportunities during GSB Live to get students' candid opinions of the program. I went to a bar that night where I knew a lot of students were going and met a lot of great people who were more than willing to share their experiences...unfortunately rhyme was too hungover to meet up. Maybe next time. :lol:

Also, if you can't attend a GSB Live event I still think the OP should wait until official visits are available, if possible. Of course, a summer visit is better than no visit.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Ya there was no opportunity to sit on classes at GSB live in September...might differ as the year goes along.

I suggest if you go to GSB live dont bring your gf/wife/bf/husband along to that. The few who were at the event look miserable...its definitely not set up for them. For them you are much better trying to set something up with someone on here who has a significant other, to let them get that perspective. Thats one thing I would do this time, thankfully it worked out perfectly for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
I am flying in from Italy to NY and then a road trip to Chicago to visit Kellogg on Aug 8th.

The school's on-campus events calendar says there class visits as well as the opportunity to have lunch with students. However, it does not tell which classes will be available.

If someone is there visiting or for the 1Y classes or ACE, I will be glad to get in touch!

P.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Paradosso,

Lascia perdere Kellogg - e una scuola del cazzo! Scherzo... Se vuoi parlare quando arrivi or prendere una birra, mandami un PM. Possiamo chiacherare un po del MBA, etc.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
I have no idea what Rhyme said but it cannot be good! :-D

I will not be around the 8th, but hopefully you can sit on a 1Y class.
GMAT Club Bot