Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:59 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Debating whether to state the real reason I want an MBA... [#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
I know my reply is going to sound caustic, but here goes:

You're going to have to BS. The app process is similar to the recruiting process, in that you need to show the adcoms that you can effectively bs your way into an internship/full time offer.

The big gorilla in the room? Everyone goes to bschool to make more money, yet how many times is that stated as the reason in the "why MBA" essays? Probably never.

I was trying to say the same thing, but in a more... diplomatic way :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
nutty2010 wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone here has a similiar experience to mines.
I've been living in the Washington DC area ever since I graduated and have been working as a government contractor. The recent contract I'm on requires security clearance and my company was willing to sponsor my clearance. Thing is it's been almost two years and I still haven't any news, in the mean time I've been working on an interim clerance. Well I got the bad news recently: I was not cleared. It's not that I have a criminal record, bad credit, or anything like that but rather I've only become a naturalized citizen for only a few years and ALL my relatives are in Taiwan. For the mean time, I'm still on the same contract, but I realize that in the future I will be moved to another contract that does not require clearance. Here's the thing, without that clearance I know that my career doing government work is effectively over, since I don't want to be forever doing non-cleared work which pays substantially less.
My entire career so far has consisted of only doing government work, so this has come as quite a blow. Now I realize I need to start looking towards private sector jobs in which I really don't have any experience, hence that is why I am applying for an MBA, to become familiar with corporate culture and to gain the business knowledge which I so desperately lack.
Having stated that I really don't know if I should be writing this as my reason for seeking an MBA in my essays, since I'm afraid it'll make me sound like I am applying out of desperation (which I kind of am...).

Any input or advice on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

nutty

Nutty,

Its all about packaging. Stating that you want to get an MBA to move into the private sector because your security clearance isn't working out is going to get you dinged for sure. However, stating that you want to obtain an MBA so that you can be better positioned with the right skills to move into a role in corporate america as X, is probably not a bad positioning statement.

I think the important thing to remember is that you must sound positive and committed. If you don't exactly know what you want to do, thats fine, but dont write about it. Don't say you want an MBA out of dissatisfaction. The above story rotates primarily around your being dissatisfied with your current situation - guess what - thats probably 98% of applicants and no one likes a negative nancy.

Rather, focus on what about you've done that is preparing you for your entry into corporate life, and what is lacking in your background. Keep it positive, optimistic, interested and committed.

So, short answer: no, don't talk about the story above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks for all the inputs guys, I really appreciate it!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Well I would first ask you what do you do. I'm an engineer, and although security clearence is great to have, it doesn't pay substantially more. Actually if you were to work in the private sector you may make more than a cleared government work.

I ask this because I think it is not about how to spin it, but do you really want an MBA. Most likely you will be doing different function, different pace, different atmosphere than what you do now. Does seem all that worth it if you like what you do and actually don't want to do it. No point of changing career just cuz you can't get clearence.

But to answer you question, I would not mention clearence at all... I would probably go with career plateu in the public sector.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
I know my reply is going to sound caustic, but here goes:

You're going to have to BS. The app process is similar to the recruiting process, in that you need to show the adcoms that you can effectively bs your way into an internship/full time offer.

The big gorilla in the room? Everyone goes to bschool to make more money, yet how many times is that stated as the reason in the "why MBA" essays? Probably never.

The second statement that you made was perfect!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Nobody wants to write that he/she doesn't want more money......
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Never ever even hint at the fact that you want an MBA because you are running away from your current job, not even in an interview.

I agree with the others, spin it to look forward.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
After talking with many classmates about "essay" career goals vs "real" career goal...it is very common for people to write what is the most logical reason for them wanting to get an MBA. People in IB write about continuing in that even if they want to go into MC. MC folks talk about that even if they want to try for PE. Its all about using your strengths to your advantage.
GMAT Club Bot