Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:35 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Berkeley Haas School of Business [#permalink]
kryzak - do you happen to know what the breakdown in recruiting is like for the health care program? It seems like maybe there is a slant towards the managed care/health plan/policy side, which isn't really what I'm looking for. Obviously there are lots of companies in the area that are more on the biotech side, maybe most of their recruiting is done via the "normal" MBA population.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
hey highhopes,

I'm not too familiar with the program other than what you've stated already. If you can write up a specific question here, I can ask one of my MPH/MBA buddies to see if he knows the answer, and I'll post it here for everyone's benefit?

Will that work?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Highhopes:

I have a very similar question/ concern, and I just visited the school this week. I am also in the process of asking several students in the MBA/MPH program about this (I asked around and got the names of a number of students enrolled in the combined program) . I'll post what I find too. No names of course.

PS

The school is incredible, and so are the students! My student guide went above and beyond to answer all of our questions: even those that he wasn't able to answer himself.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Hi kryzak,

I saw earlier that you mentioned in the other about the undergraduate GPA in Engineering and was wondering how GPA sensitive is Haas. My UG was in CS/E from one of the top public engineering schools but is below the range stated. To compensate, I've built an alternate transcript of finance/accounting courses w/ a 3.8 and I received a 710 on the GMAT.

My interest in Haas comes from Energy. I work in consulting for traditional Energy/Utilities right now and was interested in pursuing a career in renewable energy/energy tech and Haas seems very intriguing. I am still trying to find out more information about this.

I apologize if this seems too much like "what are my chances" type question. I really don't mean to ask that, but the range published and the acceptance rate just makes it feel like it might be a lost cause. Seems like many other people are scared off by this as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Kudos
From how I see your profile, your low GPA is quite well offset. Just make sure to explain the low GPA in the optional essay (whatever the reason was). Reason could be "some classes were totally crappy; I couldn't tailor my curriculum; I had more important stuff to do than to study total crap". Then you'll have to explain why did you get your undergrad at a place like that though. :)

If there was no reason, and you were just fooling around - I still would write that essay and say that you didn't have focus, and upon reflection you realize how wrong it was, and blah blah blah.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
pretty much what braindancer said. :)
Director
Director
Send PM
tamg08 wrote:
Highhopes:

I have a very similar question/ concern, and I just visited the school this week. I am also in the process of asking several students in the MBA/MPH program about this (I asked around and got the names of a number of students enrolled in the combined program) . I'll post what I find too. No names of course.

PS

The school is incredible, and so are the students! My student guide went above and beyond to answer all of our questions: even those that he wasn't able to answer himself.

I forgot until now that I had posted this. Please do post anything you find out.

Kryzak: I guess I'm wondering about the breakdown in hiring of students that complete the certificate program (I'm not really interested in MPH). Looking at their curriculum and top recruiters it seems it's mostly geared towards the insurance/managed care side of things. I'll be honest, I don't want to work for Kaiser/Sutter/Blue Cross, etc. I'm trying to figure out if career services wise there's any added benefit to the program. Like I said, maybe it doesn't matter because there are a lot of high tech marketing classes and such that might be just as good for the industries in the area.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
Kryzak: I guess I'm wondering about the breakdown in hiring of students that complete the certificate program (I'm not really interested in MPH). Looking at their curriculum and top recruiters it seems it's mostly geared towards the insurance/managed care side of things. I'll be honest, I don't want to work for Kaiser/Sutter/Blue Cross, etc. I'm trying to figure out if career services wise there's any added benefit to the program. Like I said, maybe it doesn't matter because there are a lot of high tech marketing classes and such that might be just as good for the industries in the area.

Thanks!

Hm, That is not my area of expertise, so I'll have to defer you to the official Haas Student Ambassadors at "hsa@haas.berkeley.edu." One of them is in the MPH program, Matt Holman. He should be able to answer the question for you.

https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/hsateam.html

Hope that helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Sooooo, where's the best (most convenient) place to park my car for 6ish hours while I'm on campus?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
braindancer wrote:
Then you'll have to explain why did you get your undergrad at a place like that though.

Thanks, Braindancer, I appreciate the advice. The truth of the matter is I chose my local state school (UCLA) which just happens to be one of the ruthless graders and in an insanely competitive major. My program pretty much had the same grading policy as EECS at Berkeley and the competition level is a step behind Berkeley but still pretty intense because many people in my program got into both but didn't want to move.

I just remembered that I took a bunch of programming courses (w/ As) in HS at my local community college so hopefully that'll help me as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
YihWei wrote:
Sooooo, where's the best (most convenient) place to park my car for 6ish hours while I'm on campus?

The only real convenient place is the big parking garage between Durant and Channing, near Telegraph Ave. It'll cost you about $15-20 for 6-ish hours, but it's better than most other options out there.
Current Student
 Q49  V45
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
YihWei wrote:

The only real convenient place is the big parking garage between Durant and Channing, near Telegraph Ave. It'll cost you about $15-20 for 6-ish hours, but it's better than most other options out there.

Found it! Thanks, Kryzak (and Google Maps Street View).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V37
Send PM
hi,

I'm trying to research a little more about haas' center for open innovation. the web page says it is involved in research and projects on open innovation models. was just wondering if these projects are open to mba students? i have similar work-ex background, so would be interested in that. anyone here who can clarify my doubts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I am confused about what 51 (21 core + 30 electives) semester units mean. Is this the total units to graduate or units per one semester?

Also, the site says maximum 5 units out of 30 elective units can be fulfilled through other graduate school courses. Does this mean typically 2 or 3 courses?

Look forward to visiting Haas next week!
Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
sng wrote:
Hello,

I am confused about what 51 (21 core + 30 electives) semester units mean. Is this the total units to graduate or units per one semester?

Also, the site says maximum 5 units out of 30 elective units can be fulfilled through other graduate school courses. Does this mean typically 2 or 3 courses?

Look forward to visiting Haas next week!
Thanks.

Hi sng,

Sorry for the confusion, but that's the TOTAL units you need to graduate. You take 12-15 units per semester.

I think 6 units can be out of the Haas school and still count towards your graduation. But many people graduate with more than 51 units, so that means you can take as many units outside of Haas in other graduate schools as long as you have 51-6 = 45 units taking within Haas.

Hope that helps, and hope to see you next week!
K
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Thank you for the clarification, kryzak.
Current Student
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Argh, I just spent 20 minutes writing up a post about my Haas visit but then pressed the back button and everything went to hell! I'll try my best to remember what I wrote and write it again...

I made my way across the bridge this morning to visit Haas. It was definitely a day well spent.

9-11AM: Class visit. I sat in on an Intro to Finance core course. I don't have a business background so it was great for me to see what's in store if/when I embark on my MBA. It was finance, so nothing too exciting, but the class was very diverse and the professor was very good about answering questions and facilitating discussion.

11AM-Noon: I met THE kryzak live and in the flesh! He was kind enough to chat with me about Haas and his experiences during his MBA application process.

Noon-1PM: Lunch with students. We split up into 5-6 person groups and had lunch with a current student. Lunch was a good opportunity to chat with a current student over a meal and to get to know some of the other visiting prospectives.

1-2PM: Information session. Two student ambassadors gave a presentation and overview on the Haas program. The talk was very conversational and they stayed late to answer questions. The dean of admissions even stopped by towards the end of the hour.

Even though all the activities that I participated in were very typical of your average school visit, I left very impressed with Haas. There's just something about the program (in a very good way) that I can't quite put my finger on. I think it has to do with the combination of many factors that shape the culture at Haas: small class size, location, quality of students, the program's strategic plan (leading through innovation), etc. One phrase I heard repeatedly was, "confidence and competence without arrogance", and I definitely got that vibe from all the students that I met.

If you are interested in a Haas MBA, I strongly suggest you make a visit. You won't regret it!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9