Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:44 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Re: Duke Vs Darden [#permalink]
I'm not sure about the teaching methods at Duke, but I know Darden is famous for being 100% case with a very heavy workload, so that's something to consider as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
duke

if you are looking to do finance, duke is heavily recruited
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Depends upon what you want to do post-MBA. If Marketing is your focus, then Duke wins hands down.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
foodstamp wrote:
duke

if you are looking to do finance, duke is heavily recruited

I thought Darden wins for Finance?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Actually both Darden and Duke are good for Finance and GM (my focus). i also like duke because the health sector management program. I am not into marketing. Darden, in my opinion, is a little more regional for my taste. But I spoke with Dean Bruner and he is working hard to change that. Darden, as mentioned earlier, is also great for someone (read me) who like the case method.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
I think they are pretty even for finance...the difference is marginal at best. Given the choice, I would choose mainly based on my impressions during campus visits. The other major factors to consider are location and the heavy case-based curriculum at Darden.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
i can tell you that my firm (bulge ibank) strongly prefers duke... the assosiate class this year had 3x more duke MBAs than darden MBAs

(this is sales & trading... not IBD though)

after speaking to some of the associates... it seems that many great financial services leaders recruit at duke. i am sure darden is a great place, but i honestly think that duke has a stronger brand (maybe bc of very strong undergrad).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
So you know for a fact that your firm picked Fuqua grads over Darden grads? That would be about the only thing that shows a strong preference.

I think pelihu posted on a similar topic last year, but I would personally be very surprised if, outside of marketing and healthcare, Duke opened any opportunities for new grads that Darden did not. Finance included.

foodstamp wrote:
i can tell you that my firm (bulge ibank) strongly prefers duke... the assosiate class this year had 3x more duke MBAs than darden MBAs
SVP
SVP
Send PM
foodstamp wrote:

after speaking to some of the associates... it seems that many great financial services leaders recruit at duke. i am sure darden is a great place, but i honestly think that duke has a stronger brand (maybe bc of very strong undergrad).

This surprises me quite a lot.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Sleepy wrote:
I'm not sure about the teaching methods at Duke, but I know Darden is famous for being 100% case with a very heavy workload, so that's something to consider as well.

Just got back from my Duke visit and I'll post more in that specific thread when I get some more time. However, Duke and Darden are on par for workload. Also, I don't think this is really out there because everyone thinks "Team Fuqua" when they think of Duke, but Fuqua is VERY HEAVY on the case method. Not 100%, but darn near close to HBS and Darden. So if one is saying to him/herself, "I'll choose Darden over Duke because I prefer case method" (or I hate case method, so I'll choose Duke), this should not be a deciding factor because the two schools are very similar in this regard.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
Sleepy wrote:

Just got back from my Duke visit and I'll post more in that specific thread when I get some more time. However, Duke and Darden are on par for workload. Also, I don't think this is really out there because everyone thinks "Team Fuqua" when they think of Duke, but Fuqua is VERY HEAVY on the case method. Not 100%, but darn near close to HBS and Darden. So if one is saying to him/herself, "I'll choose Darden over Duke because I prefer case method" (or I hate case method, so I'll choose Duke), this should not be a deciding factor because the two schools are very similar in this regard.

OMG!! Now its my turn to be surprised........ I always had the perception (even after meeting the school representatives) that the workload is high but I thought that it was nowhere near Darden (maybe Darden goes a bit overboard about boasting about its workload)........
The heavy on case method part was also surprising......(Can't believe I ovrlooked this part in Duke)....... Maybe you can elaorate on that ry ???
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Solaris, I can't tell you whether Darden MBAs were specifically dumped for Duke MBAs.

What I can tell you is that every bulge bracket bank has its own set of recruiting schools known as the core. About 95% of available seats get filled up by students from these schools. Duke is almost always part of this core (I've seen the recruiting process at several banks), while Darden isn't on every list that Duke is on.

Honestly, when it comes to recruiting in finance, it makes very little difference how good the classes are or the progress that the school has made. If you attend a school that has stronger relationships on Wall Street then many more doors are open for you.

Duke has been a strong name for years... Although Darden is highly regarded, it can't compete with the relationships that Duke has built over the years. After working in finance and going through the grueling recruiting process, I can tell you that putting Duke versus Darden is like putting H/S/W versus Ross.

My 80 or so person analyst class had 7-9 Duke grads while only 1-2 UVA grads. If this is the typical recruiting pattern that happens year after year then you can imagine the comparative magnitude of the network that Duke has built in finance over the years. Honestly, IMO, if you got in at Duke and Darden... I think you'd be crazy to go to Darden if you are trying to get into finance (all else equal).

Don't get me wrong, Darden is a great institution and it is tough to get into. I am not affiliated with Duke by any means, I just think Duke offers more opportunities in finance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
foodstamp wrote:
Solaris, I can't tell you whether Darden MBAs were specifically dumped for Duke MBAs.

What I can tell you is that every bulge bracket bank has its own set of recruiting schools known as the core. About 95% of available seats get filled up by students from these schools. Duke is almost always part of this core (I've seen the recruiting process at several banks), while Darden isn't on every list that Duke is on.

Honestly, when it comes to recruiting in finance, it makes very little difference how good the classes are or the progress that the school has made. If you attend a school that has stronger relationships on Wall Street then many more doors are open for you.

Duke has been a strong name for years... Although Darden is highly regarded, it can't compete with the relationships that Duke has built over the years. After working in finance and going through the grueling recruiting process, I can tell you that putting Duke versus Darden is like putting H/S/W versus Ross.

My 80 or so person analyst class had 7-9 Duke grads while only 1-2 UVA grads. If this is the typical recruiting pattern that happens year after year then you can imagine the comparative magnitude of the network that Duke has built in finance over the years. Honestly, IMO, if you got in at Duke and Darden... I think you'd be crazy to go to Darden if you are trying to get into finance (all else equal).

Don't get me wrong, Darden is a great institution and it is tough to get into. I am not affiliated with Duke by any means, I just think Duke offers more opportunities in finance.

Good post +1
SVP
SVP
Send PM
foodstamp wrote:

What does this have to do with associate recruiting? It is a completely different beast. I feel like you are mixing up associate and analyst recruiting a bit.

From what I know:

Analyst recruiting: Duke > UVA
Associate recruiting: Darden > Duke

Additionally, even for Analyst recruiting, UVA has an undergraduate business program. Duke does not. This makes it a difficult comparison.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:

Actually I did know that several classes at Duke used the case-method. but i dint know that it was closer HBS and Darden. This has been a good discussion. Glad that I started this thread. Now, waiting to be accepted by both the programs to start scratching my head to pick one of them.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
Terp: one drives the other.

I understand that the analyst and associate recruiting are different beasts. But it is the same HR team/same school team that does recruiting for both analyst and associates (as an analyst I helped recruit associates).

My point was that stronger undergrad can have an impact on the MBA program's reach. If year by year Goldman recruited 10 more people from Duke than UVA out of undergrad, then over the years Goldman will be filled with many more Dukies. That means Goldman will have a ton more support for Duke.. Don't forget that the Duke undergrads who stay with the firm will drive recruiting and build the Duke brand name within the firm.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
foodstamp wrote:
Terp: one drives the other.

I understand that the analyst and associate recruiting are different beasts. But it is the same HR team/same school team that does recruiting for both analyst and associates (as an analyst I helped recruit associates).

My point was that stronger undergrad can have an impact on the MBA program's reach. If year by year Goldman recruited 10 more people from Duke than UVA out of undergrad, then over the years Goldman will be filled with many more Dukies. That means Goldman will have a ton more support for Duke.. Don't forget that the Duke undergrads who stay with the firm will drive recruiting and build the Duke brand name within the firm.

That is a good point. However, the caliber of kids at Fuqua is very different from the caliber of kids at Duke undergrad. The same thing can be said for many business schools and their respective students.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2