Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:49 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
Re: Advice needed: applying for MBA straight from grad school! [#permalink]
phdizzle wrote:
Does anyone out there know a PhD/MBA?

I don't personally know a PhD+MBA, but I know this guy was on top of the Forbes Midas list a few years ago. He is a Phd+MBA and has taken the VC path you are wanting to take.
Current Student
Send PM
mba07 wrote:
phdizzle wrote:
Does anyone out there know a PhD/MBA?

A guy at my work has a Phd/MBA. He did an executive MBA program though...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
IF you have all that degrees and credentials.... i am just wondering... why do u need an mba man?

u r phd...go do some research, enjoy life :)

just my thoughts :)))))

i hate school
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for all your responses! I was worried that my original post was impenetrably long (as I looked it over after posting, I thought, "I'd never read that...")

nomsg, your background is very interesting because it's obviously quite similar to mine. Where are you applying? What's your "angle?"

As for me, bailing with a master's is not in the cards, if for no other reason than I happen to like what I'm doing :) I'm not in grad school to boost my MBA app--there are easier, more lucrative, and more traditional/failsafe ways to do that. I'm doing it because I enjoy it and because I think it will greatly help me in the future. The replies here just underscore what I already thought--I am going to have to really paint a picture of how "work-like" my grad school experience has been (collaboration, working in teams, traveling to conferences, giving presentations...). I've done engineering internships at big companies, so I do have an idea. I'll give it a shot and I guess I'll post here to let y'all know what happens.

What you said also confirms for me why I don't feel like I have much of a shot at more "traditional" MBA programs like Wharton and Kellogg. That's OK, because I don't think I'd be a good fit anyway and wasn't planning on applying, but I do think adcoms there would dismiss me as an ivory tower type who's never worked in the real world and doesn't get finance at all.

mba07: thanks for linking to Haque! That's exactly the kind of career I'm thinking about. You can tell he really uses both his technical background (PhD in EE) and business (Kellogg MBA) in terms of evaluating and making deals.

GoBruins: You hit on the other big thing I'm worried about--the adcoms thinking that I sat around playing with my TI-89 all day. I am trying to get involved in a variety of organizations, so hopefully that will help me overcome that perception somewhat...
Current Student
Send PM
phdizzle wrote:

nomsg, your background is very interesting because it's obviously quite similar to mine. Where are you applying? What's your "angle?"

Well I am still in the running at Kellogg, UCLA, and Michigan. I might apply to MIT in round 2, but I am not crazy about going to a really strong quant school. I'd like to have a more rounded business school experience, another 2 years surrounded by engineers doesn't sound fun.

I'd love to go to Stanford but that 8.5% acceptance rate isn't giving me a warm fuzzy feeling. My profile isn't strong enough.

I am looking to focus on operations/healthcare when I get out. Probably working at an established company like Medtronic, Boston Scientific, Amgen, etc etc. Maybe join a start-up a few years after I graduate b-school (and I pay back all my loans :-D ).

To be honest if you really want to do VC/serial entrepreneurship, an MBA by itself isn't really going to do much for you. You're going to need to articulate why you want to pursue that career path, and prior experience is a good way to articulate that...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
One of my really good friends here applied directly from grad school. It was an MS degree not Phd. He had a few years work experience before going back to get his masters though. Its definitely possible though.
GMAT Club Bot