Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
agold wrote:
From what I've seen, yes, he is a touch more successful at opening conversations than he was before. However, he generally continues on with his Mystery Method and never really cuts out of it. After 5-10 minutes, the girls usually just think he's a jerk. Not to mention, he really annoys most of his friends (like me).

If you just use those gimmicky pick-up lines to start a conversation - fine. If it's ingrained in you that you *must* behave a certain way and it's not coming naturally - you're just going to be super awkward.

Agreed, I feel being that kind of guy sabotages you too much in other areas to be worth it. Something that hasn't been brought up yet is also the plethora of good wingmen/wingwomen that will be available in Bschool. People who will know how to network/introduce people etc, can immediately vouch that you have your sh*t together and will approach situations from a perspective similar to yours (aka, logically). The married/taken classmates can be especially useful in this regard since it will give them a chance to live vicariously through you. Picking up a couple floozies is definitely not worth alienating said peers, IMHO.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
irishspring,

Do u also go by the name 'convoluted signal'?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I am one of those married wingmen that *helps* my friends out. Best birthday present I ever gave my best friend was a 5' 4" redhead 1L from my law school I met when I was a mentor for the incoming class. It's been 4 years and he still laughs about it and thanks me.

Some of you from a city or that don't hunt may find this reference funny. When i got the bar with her and introduced her to my friend, another friend of ours said "So, did you bird-dog this one for him?"

bostonsparky wrote:
agold wrote:
From what I've seen, yes, he is a touch more successful at opening conversations than he was before. However, he generally continues on with his Mystery Method and never really cuts out of it. After 5-10 minutes, the girls usually just think he's a jerk. Not to mention, he really annoys most of his friends (like me).

If you just use those gimmicky pick-up lines to start a conversation - fine. If it's ingrained in you that you *must* behave a certain way and it's not coming naturally - you're just going to be super awkward.

Agreed, I feel being that kind of guy sabotages you too much in other areas to be worth it. Something that hasn't been brought up yet is also the plethora of good wingmen/wingwomen that will be available in Bschool. People who will know how to network/introduce people etc, can immediately vouch that you have your sh*t together and will approach situations from a perspective similar to yours (aka, logically). The married/taken classmates can be especially useful in this regard since it will give them a chance to live vicariously through you. Picking up a couple floozies is definitely not worth alienating said peers, IMHO.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Ross, Cornell ($), Kellogg, Wharton, Stanford, Berkeley ($$)
 Q44  V41
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
agold wrote:

this is exactly right. the best asset for a guy is a good wingwoman who can help. girls send all kinds of signals out for men, so a good female friend helps a lot.

scripted pick-up lines just make you seem like you are pretty inexperienced and therefore, socially awkward. unless you have the right personality (and that depends on the approach) to pull stuff off without sounding fake/immature/creepy.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Those pickup line gurus are completely retarded. Any guy who uses pickup lines and succeeds would have succeeded anyway with plain discourse. Conversely, there is no pickup line in the world that is going to get somebody with no game and no confidence hot girls. Well, short of telling her you play in the NFL or NBA.

While I'm on the subject, I saw this video on the side-pane in YouTube when I was viewing the previously posted one, and had to share. I don't know whether to laugh at this or be fearful that there are probably swarms of guys taking this advice to heart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSXYdmOn ... re=related
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
agold wrote:
Agreed. I had a friend who got sucked into that stuff and he was truly more awkward and annoying to be around than anything.

Was his name Johnny 'Drama' Chase by any chance?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Thou shall not talk crap abt Johny Drama!

sonibubu wrote:

Was his name Johnny 'Drama' Chase by any chance?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
bostonsparky wrote:
Indeed, I know girls like to say a similar quote about guys being like parking spaces.

What exactly do these girls say about guys being like parking spaces?
Girls: "Guys are like parking spaces. We all secretly wish we had a handicapped one?"

:-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
To be clear, I watch the Pick Up Artist, promise myself I will use the techniques, then, without fail, fall back on my old friends Whiskey and Soda. Ah, alcohol, the cause of (and solution to) all of life's problems.

A good wingwoman is worth her weight in gold. More, usually.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Girls: "Guys are like parking spaces. We all secretly wish we had a handicapped one?"

ROFL

Wow, this post (maybe just solaris1) is getting more and more politically incorrect. I like it. where do you come up with this stuff.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:NYU Stern '11
In the words of Shakespeare (or not) a facetious thread doth requires a facetious response. I'm all for moving this to Off-Topic.

And in case anyone is even the slightest bit offended, I was being VERY tongue in cheek.

So...

"Don't Praet me, bro!"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
U sure about that solaris1? I was officially offended. I do support you moving this thread to off-topic though! Although the presence of Praetorian does legitamize the existing of this thread.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Instead of PUA crap, you could just try The Naked Man.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
In the words of Shakespeare (or not) a facetious thread doth requires a facetious response. I'm all for moving this to Off-Topic.

And in case anyone is even the slightest bit offended, I was being VERY tongue in cheek.

So...

"Don't Praet me, bro!"

Yup, you are going in the direction of someone else I know. Keep going until the wall hits you in the face and you get praeted. :-)

the thread is fine. a little fun is no problem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Praet, I love playing the devils advocate (maybe I have been watching "the practice" way too much), Sol knows that i was kiddin! :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
i assume that MBA/JD mixers are pretty common...usually JD students are a couple of years younger as they tend to come right out of undergrad. i see a lot of potential here.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
You might find a few women in law school that think there is something wrong with a person that "only" goes into business. I've seen some people have the idea such as "Well, you're doing business. It's not like you have to pass an exam to be licensed to practice business." Just be prepared to meet some jerks. Mainly the guys trying to "protect" the women law students from any other grad student intruders.

msday86 wrote:
i assume that MBA/JD mixers are pretty common...usually JD students are a couple of years younger as they tend to come right out of undergrad. i see a lot of potential here.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23