Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:12 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Given Kudos:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: The Partner Job Search [#permalink]
jlola21 wrote:
Thanks for the input River.

A few questions-
-Did your wife utilize head hunters? If not, why?

My wife did go through one for two of her job offers. One of which was the one she accepted. My wife works in a field that actually had a pretty large number of jobs, so they allow recruiters to place and those people also know of other opportunities. A few of her friends used them too and some went the websearch way. I think companies these days, at least for positions that arent hard to fill, prefer not to use professionals since that can cost them a pretty large fee. It doesnt hurt to use them but personally I wouldnt rely on them completely.

jlola21 wrote:
-My husband is approaching employers by stating in his intro email that he will be relocating to Chicago this summer, and when asked will say I will be starting school, plan is to stay in Chicago long-term (which is a potential plan). I'm thinking this is a good approach - considering companies haven't been paying relocation fees for awhile now, but what do you think? If he can't get a job, we'll be living apart until he can - in hopes that it won't be more than 6 months or so. But I was wondering, did your wife look very actively before moving?

My wife looked but if you cant get a human being and are just dropping a resume or applying online its hard to get it across you are looking. With the job current market for some industries I am sure that people are looking all over. If locally its a tough market then it may be difficult elsewhere. She knew there were a lot of opportunities for her here, so we decided just to go for it. I would say she looked from back home from mid to late May but other than a few phone interviews made little headway. Talking with a friend's wife who works in HR its pretty common no matter what to have a radius from the location they are willing to hire, if you aren't applying while living in that place then its difficult. So if he hasnt found a job, he definitely should use your Chicago address on his resume and applications.

jlola21 wrote:
-How useful did she find Kellogg's resources?

She didnt really use them, she wasn't very proactive with getting in touch well in advance and by the time we moved here and her friends talked about it she was well on her way to getting offers so didnt bother. I know several of her friends got a lot of very valuable contacts. They have the advantage of knowing alums in different industries, headhunters that have done very well for them in the past, and contacts at various companies...here at Kellogg it also seems that jobs within the university are pretty open to significant others. Like the ones that may only be open to internal hires and I think in someways they give priorities to JV's, I know of several spouses working for the university. Depending on the significant others community there might be some valuable people there to help, a few spouses of 2nd years gave job leads and pass resumes along for people

jlola21 wrote:
-What are the most active suburbs around Chicago in regards to employment?
I think that most people work downtown, some in Evanston and this area, and then some do longer commutes. I think that people focus on this area and downtown because of the easy commute.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I moved this from off topic to this forum since I know a lot of you are married and this is something that will be a big issue for many of you going forward.
Given Kudos:
Thanks again for your insight River.

Does anyone have any experience looking in industries that are hit hard during a recession? Any tips would be appreciated!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Great insights River.

Do you have any advice for internationals in the same situation (e.g., how did that architect find a job in the US?)?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Paradosso wrote:
Great insights River.

Do you have any advice for internationals in the same situation

I think its a little more difficult and if they lose their job it gets dicey. I think networking helps but its still tough. Many internationals dont actually work since its hard to get visa's if you arent in a tech field. Once again reach out to the school and see what they can offer you in terms of help. I know very little about visa issues, there are plenty of internationals on here who work in the US they might offer some helpful advice.

Or you could just marry her and let her become a stay at home mom. You start now then the timing will be just about right. :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting, General Management
Schools:HBS, Kellogg (i/v ed), Tuck(Ding), Duke (admitted), Ross
 Q50  V44
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Paradosso wrote:
Great insights River.

I think its a little more difficult and if they lose their job it gets dicey.

Or you could just marry her and let her become a stay at home mom. You start now then the timing will be just about right. :lol:

Good insights River, Very relevant topic. I was just wondering for internationals, the spouse accompanies on F-2 visa. Is it possible for the spouse to get enrolled to some school and have visa status changed to F-1 or so? indirectly, not only spouse upgrades skill and makes him/her better employable but also gets entitled to 20 Hr. / week work permission!!(hope that way she can part pay my tuition - now that fin-aid for internationals is an issue):wink:
thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I know a few of my friends wives are in another grad school or are applying to go, so there has to be some sort of program available. I am not an expert but I am sure an immigration lawyer would be able to answer that in 5 seconds.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
mbaleader wrote:
riverripper wrote:
Paradosso wrote:
Great insights River.

I think its a little more difficult and if they lose their job it gets dicey.

Good insights River, Very relevant topic. I was just wondering for internationals, the spouse accompanies on F-2 visa. Is it possible for the spouse to get enrolled to some school and have visa status changed to F-1 or so? indirectly, not only spouse upgrades skill and makes him/her better employable but also gets entitled to 20 Hr. / week work permission!!(hope that way she can part pay my tuition - now that fin-aid for internationals is an issue):wink:
thanks

Just like you applied to schools,he/she would also need to apply to schools.For the 20 hr/wk part time job,you don't get much to pay for your tution.probably $500/month.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
On this point regarding Kellogg: there's a contact point at Kellogg who will get in touch with your significant other to discuss possible job opportunities.

E-mail someone at the admission/international office and she will redirect you to the appropriate person.
GMAT Club Bot