Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:55 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Re: Am I crazy? [#permalink]
i would take darden in a heartbeat... better overall reputation, and it should help recruit nationally, so going back west coast shouldn't be that big a problem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I would go where the money is. Why going into debt when u have offers from 2 equally good schools. Not a hard decision to me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Wow thats quite an accomplishment. I presume you asked UCLA to match, they didn't budge?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
 Q44  V41
Send PM
If you haven't asked UCLA to match, definitely do it! The worst they can say is no. I met a guy who had the same issue last year, only it was full-ride Darden v. nothing at Haas, and he was able to get some $$$ (not a full ride, but like $10-$15k or so) from Haas and ended up attending Haas because of it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
First, congrats on both your admits as well as your schollie offers! :-D

Given that the amount in question is a full ride, I would say go to Darden. Like you mentioned, the companies you want to work at recruit there so that aspect should work. I think you would also be able to mention it during recruiting, and it could help you stand out from your peers.

From the perspective of your relationship - that's really up to you/her. I would ask her what she thinks. Is she willing to move with you? Or do the long distance thing? I think best case is that she realizes it's only for two years, that the cost of you guys visiting each other regularly will be less than the tuition you'd pay at Anderson, and if you do the long-term thing, eventually you share your wealth and your debt so financially this could be the better option :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
buddy go to darden...the other stuff will work itself out.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Full ride for a school with a great rep vs nothing from another equal school....hmm do you seriously have to ask the question? Go to Darden.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I would pick full ride. In case you don't, can I go there for you? :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Send PM
wow congrats on having this 'problem'.
I'd go for Darden...easy.
GF can start to find employment from now (hoping for the best)...or..just do the long distance thing...it's 2 years. I know it sucks, but at least you know your endpoint and you know you will be back in Cali after that.
Sometimes knowing that you'll be back can help you survive that long distance thing.

wow..Darden and UCLA is about the same level.. and yet one offers nothing and the other full scholarship.. crazy admin people/process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
wow, first of all congrats, I'm definitely having p***s envy.
second of all, ask UCLA for more money, else go to Darden.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I figured if I posted anything remotely close to this on BW, I would have been hanged and quartered, e.g. I shouldn't even enroll in b-school for bringing this up. I want to let folks know that I am really humbled (and, quite frankly, shocked) that Darden even considered me for any money, so I appreciate your support. People might look differently at MBAs if they were to take a peek at this board.

Anyway enough of the sappy stuff, I did call UCLA to see whether they'd be able to do anything to help with my finances, but they informed me they've made their decisions already with respect to scholarships...BUT that as recipients reject their offer of admission, that money is made available to other admits--so I figure I wouldn't really know until Haas' notification date (which I think is in a couple of weeks). The real kick in the teeth is that UCLA offers need-based aid, but the amount isn't made known to you until after you have sent in your deposit. (I'm trying to get that info earlier: how can people make an informed decision when they knowingly hold back pertinent info?)

To be perfectly honest, I know what decision is the right one and am very excited about it, but I think I won't make it final until I have to (Darden's deposit deadline).

All the best,

The Dude.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Need based aid is almost always just loans...UCLA is a public school so they are gonna have the endowment to give out lots of need based scholarships like the top private schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Charlottesville rocks! Go to Darden!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
I'd say go to darden, if your GF starts looking for a job now, and then waits til she finds something before moving instead of moving first then finding a job she'll be able to stay employed the whole time and still limit the long distance time to under two years.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
DD = Definitely Darden! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
First congrats! I would go to Darden. Their recruiting seems strong enough to place their students nationally. I am not sure if pehilu is active on the site, but he attend/ed Darden and went out to Los Angeles to intern. Seacrh some of his post on Darden, a lot of threads should come up.

Again, congrats!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
I would point out one thing that others haven't yet mentioned. Given that the two schools you are contemplating are fairly similar in the eyes of recruiters, a full scholarship can be a differentiating factor in recruiting. I can tell you for certain that a merit-based full scholarship is something that will make you stand out when recruiters select their candidates, and if it is a named scholarship it can also be a terrific discussion point during interviews. For example, my scholarship was given through the institute for entrepreneurship and that item on the resume was a great jumping off point for a variety of topics.

As 89nk mentioned, I had no trouble landing an internship with the LA office of a top firm. I also know that quite a few spouses have been able to find employment with Darden and the broader University. You might consider checking with Darden to see if they know of opportunities that might be suitable for your girlfriend (don't know if GF employment is as readily available as spouse...)

Finally, the most obvious question is, if you're admitted with a full scholarship and still don't want to go, why did you apply in the first place? I actually had a similar decision a few years ago (UCLA undergrad, LA is my hometown, admitted to Anderson). I understand that despite the popular opinion in this thread this isn't an easy decision, however I've been extremely pleased with my experience. I made the decision that I wanted a full business school experience, rather than just hanging out with my college buddies around LA. The money is definitely nice - and in fact I probably won't fully recognize how nice it is until I start working and think about the chunk of change that others must allocate to loans each month. For the time being it takes a lot of pressure of the job search and really gives the sense that I can be flexible if I want to, and with the economy as it is, that's definitely pretty nice.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2