Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Re: LEAK?: USNews 2010 MBA Rankings | Yale SOM breaks top 10? [#permalink]
Have you read buzz marketing? Apparently these ploys are not that rare. And actually I agree its more likely that someone accidentally found it and happened to post it - I'm just not ruling out the possibility that someone on their behalf used the video to post a message in their greatest "rankings" competitor's forum to drive free traffic to their site. Imagine how many people watched this video who otherwise wouldn't have bothered?

In such a case, pulling the video makes perfect sense, as it increases the buzz aspect and leads to further discussions on the issue.

I've done stuff like that for internet projects I worked on, achieving amazing results and getting loads of free, very well targetted traffic (probably should have written about it in my application essays:))

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you" - isn't there a saying like that?

But seriously - probably just being too suspicious because its the type of think I would have done:)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
The video in question wasn't actually "leaked" on Businessweek [we had it here before it was put up on BW even], but a law school forum.

And that video didn't even have law school rankings in there. Ok, just the new PT law school ones - but all this makes it highly dubious that this was somehow intentionally orchestrated by USNWR.

Gil wrote:
I'm just not ruling out the possibility that someone on their behalf used the video to post a message in their greatest "rankings" competitor's forum to drive free traffic to their site.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
I'd say they're real - generating buzz to this target group isn't going to lead to any more sales. Is there a single person on GClub who's going to buy the hardcopy or, moreover, buy it now because of the "buzz"?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
The video in question wasn't actually "leaked" on Businessweek [we had it here before it was put up on BW even], but a law school forum.

And that video didn't even have law school rankings in there. Ok, just the new PT law school ones - but all this makes it highly dubious that this was somehow intentionally orchestrated by USNWR.

Gil wrote:
I'm just not ruling out the possibility that someone on their behalf used the video to post a message in their greatest "rankings" competitor's forum to drive free traffic to their site.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Kudos
jb32 wrote:
Gil wrote:
pu2003 wrote:
You can tell the order of the ranking but you can't really tell the actual ranking. For example, after Stanford, I can't tell what the actual rankings are, just the order.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't the actual ranking. They just put up something somewhat randong up there for this piece. Perhaps they even did it on purpose to generate buzz ahead of time.

So, if this is true, I've decided to attend Kellogg instead. :)

I agree - see my post one page back:)

Occam's Razor, guys. What's more plausible? That this some kind of elaborately staged PR plot to release a video that people may or may not see on some obscure website, with fake rankings that are barely legible in hopes that people will publish them online and generate huge buzz before US News publishes the actual rankings next week, which are completely different? Or that these are the real rankings and the US News folks tried to make it unreadable in the video, but didn't do a good enough job? You can believe whatever conspiracy theory you want, but I'm going with the latter.

the answer, as always, is ninjas.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Send PM
Regardless of the rankings. It means very little in the sense that when a school moves up or down, it still takes time for the school to see the impact or enhancements of the rankings. It is in a gray area which makes it pretty useless, and the students that base decisions off of rankings really would be zoning in on the small picture.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
89nk wrote:
It is in a gray area which makes it pretty useless, and the students that base decisions off of rankings really would be zoning in on the small picture.

Except for the posters on BW, who are changing their school choices as we speak because of the new rankings.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I never disliked US News, they usually have things reasonably...but I still think that the tier system popular on here is the best way to look at schools. However, there are people who are swayed by rankings. Unfortunately some of those people are the very type of people who I wouldnt want to be classmates with.

Agreed.

Region and industry never get enough attention, either. Someone who wanted to go into energy would be pretty foolish to turn down a good TX school like McCombs for a higher-ranked school with no energy program to speak of. Likewise, I chose Duke in large part because I want to stay in the South. I liked both Kellogg and Duke a lot (and I will admit to feeling a little twinge of something seeing that Kellogg climbed to #3!), but Duke has a stronger brand down here, so I went with it. Similar to the way someone might choose Booth or Kellogg over Wharton if they wanted to work in finance in Chicago.

It's never a simple process of comparing ranking numbers!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
the irony is, I found out about this thread on BW...

Well, I guess we'll know whether it's fake or real in a week's time. Berkeley-Haas up to #7? I like that! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Not sure if they're still on sale (or if this was already mentioned elsewhere), but supposedly at midnight this morning the new U.S. News and World Report 2010 Grad School Rankings were being sold at Penn Station: https://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =1&t=69258

There is a screenshot of the cover in the first page of the first page of the thread and multiple screenshots of rankings on the 30th page (all for law school though), so it looks pretty legit.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
ElleBee wrote:
Not sure if they're still on sale (or if this was already mentioned elsewhere), but supposedly at midnight this morning the new U.S. News and World Report 2010 Grad School Rankings were being sold at Penn Station: https://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =1&t=69258

There is a screenshot of the cover in the first page of the first page of the thread and multiple screenshots of rankings on the 30th page (all for law school though), so it looks pretty legit.

nice looks legit. If I knew they def were there Id head over there right now......but its pouring now.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
nice looks legit. If I knew they def were there Id head over there right now......but its pouring now.

pouring...as in rain??

It's 97-degrees in LA right now. 8-)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
The 2011 rankings officially comes out this Thursdays (4/15/2010). I thought it would have been leaked by now. Anyone came across a leak?
VP
VP
Send PM
The law school rankings just got leaked, where's the bschool leak? :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Kellogg, MIT Sloan, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia
GPA: Top 3 Undergrad
WE 1: Investment Banking (1yr)
WE 2: Private Equity (2 yrs)
Send PM
Kudos
These are the rankings that have apparently been leaked on the BW forums. I have no idea if they are accurate...

School Score
1. Harvard 100
1. Stanford 100
3. MIT 94
4. Northwestern 93
5. Chicago 92
5. Penn 92
7. Dartmouth 89
7. Berkeley 89
9. Columbia 86
9. NYU 86
11. Yale 85
12. Michigan 82
13. Virginia 81
14. Duke 80
15. UCLA 78
16. Carnegie Mellon 76
16. University of Texas 76
18. Cornell 75
19. WashU in St. Louis 72
20. USC 70
VP
VP
Send PM
It looks kind of feasible. Given the dismal employment rate at Fuqua, Wharton, and Ross last year, I can definitely see the slip in ranking. But Stern had pretty bad year as well, and it moved up past Yale when Yale had the highest employment rate?

I'm curious to see the actual rankings.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you!
Including this post in the newsletter.